OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:29 pm
Lord help us if cars on the sidewalk is what is going to save P&L and stop the bleed out of the general fund.
This year, sponsors want something for their money considering the events normally provide the exposure. When you’re trying to keep several people employed and generate just enough revenue to pay the bills, every dollar counts. The bond payments will exist until they’re paid off. There’s simply not enough revenue potential to meet those wild predictions unless we were to land a NBA or NHL team. So we can stop bitching about it already. It’s pointless, kind of like being mad there’s a sponsor vehicle parked on a section of sidewalk not normally traveled but perhaps used for a scooter staging area.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by WoodDraw »

When you turn over such a large area to a single developer, these are the things you get.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30732
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:29 pm
Lord help us if cars on the sidewalk is what is going to save P&L and stop the bleed out of the general fund.
This year, sponsors want something for their money considering the events normally provide the exposure. When you’re trying to keep several people employed and generate just enough revenue to pay the bills, every dollar counts. The bond payments will exist until they’re paid off. There’s simply not enough revenue potential to meet those wild predictions unless we were to land a NBA or NHL team. So we can stop bitching about it already. It’s pointless, kind of like being mad there’s a sponsor vehicle parked on a section of sidewalk not normally traveled but perhaps used for a scooter staging area.
yeah those cars were on the sidewalk last year but overall it's not a big deal, especially in KC where it's expected that pedestrians just deal with this stuff. More just funning message board fodder. Cheers!

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:40 pm
When you turn over such a large area to a single developer, these are the things you get.
Hundreds of jobs, National TV exposure for the city, billions invested into downtown, new hotels, crossroads revitalization, a streetcar, thousands of new downtown residents, and Ford vehicles parked on sidewalks that don’t effect pedestrians ability to walk on said sidewalk.

Seems like a win to me! :lol:

Yours Truly, KC Rag Cordish Defender. ;)

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:46 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:29 pm
Lord help us if cars on the sidewalk is what is going to save P&L and stop the bleed out of the general fund.
This year, sponsors want something for their money considering the events normally provide the exposure. When you’re trying to keep several people employed and generate just enough revenue to pay the bills, every dollar counts. The bond payments will exist until they’re paid off. There’s simply not enough revenue potential to meet those wild predictions unless we were to land a NBA or NHL team. So we can stop bitching about it already. It’s pointless, kind of like being mad there’s a sponsor vehicle parked on a section of sidewalk not normally traveled but perhaps used for a scooter staging area.
yeah those cars were on the sidewalk last year but overall it's not a big deal, especially in KC where it's expected that pedestrians just deal with this stuff. More just funning message board fodder. Cheers!
I do seriously hate the hack job spire did and I hate that H&R often block off that entire section of sidewalk to do god knows what. Oh, and the construction wall for Spark was atrocious. I like vehicles on sidewalks though! ;)

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30732
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:47 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:40 pm
When you turn over such a large area to a single developer, these are the things you get.
Hundreds of jobs, National TV exposure for the city, billions invested into downtown, new hotels, crossroads revitalization, a streetcar, thousands of new downtown residents, and Ford vehicles parked on sidewalks that don’t effect pedestrians ability to walk on said sidewalk.

Seems like a win to me! :lol:

Yours Truly, KC Rag Cordish Defender. ;)
I've always been pro-Cordish/P&L but let's slow up a bit saying this was all due to P&L. It certainly didn't hurt and has made my neighborhood better no doubt.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by WoodDraw »

Again, I’m not complaining! Every project has trade offs.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:00 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:47 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:40 pm
When you turn over such a large area to a single developer, these are the things you get.
Hundreds of jobs, National TV exposure for the city, billions invested into downtown, new hotels, crossroads revitalization, a streetcar, thousands of new downtown residents, and Ford vehicles parked on sidewalks that don’t effect pedestrians ability to walk on said sidewalk.

Seems like a win to me! :lol:

Yours Truly, KC Rag Cordish Defender. ;)
I've always been pro-Cordish/P&L but let's slow up a bit saying this was all due to P&L. It certainly didn't hurt and has made my neighborhood better no doubt.
Certainly not saying it was all cordish. However, it's noted in history that they took the risk when no one else would. The city leaders along with Cordish absolutely are responsible for where downtown is currently. Without P&L and the Sprint Center, none of the other development would have happened.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by WoodDraw »

"took the risk" ohh come on.

They didn't take any risk. The city is subsidizing the whole fucking thing.

Why can't you just admit it is for what it is?

These arguments go much easier when you admit basis truths.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by WoodDraw »

Cordish completely failed at retail. They mostly failed at any national big draw names. They've been surviving off of kc this entire time.

But that's okay! It's what we paid them to do!

Even when they take credit for sports they forget they spent years being racist. It took outside groups taking that area over and they now try to pretend.

But, *sigh*

Developers will be developers

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm
"took the risk" ohh come on.

They didn't take any risk. The city is subsidizing the whole fucking thing.

Why can't you just admit it is for what it is?

These arguments go much easier when you admit basis truths.
Cordish has spent and continues to spend their own and their investor's money in KC, yes? Cordish could have done the same in other cities with better trajectories, leaders, and populations, yes? Cordish continues to believe that KC will continue to grow and potentially even boom, yes? What other national players have done close to what Cordish has? Have any local firms?

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm
"took the risk" ohh come on.

They didn't take any risk. The city is subsidizing the whole fucking thing.

Why can't you just admit it is for what it is?

These arguments go much easier when you admit basis truths.
LMAO. You can't be serious! They didn't take any risk? They put millions upon millions into the project. Keep in mind it's a small, family owned company. The vast majority of the city portion was for infrastructure that needed to be completed regardless of who, what or when downtown was redeveloped. Literally none of the city money built a nightclub or bar. Can you name any other single entity who has invested more private money into downtown?

Cordish didn't fail at retail. Downtown KC didn't have the population to support national brands. Guess who's been investing in downtown residential population in order to set us up for legit national retail?

And the racist comments are flat out bullshit. Can't even tell you how much bullshit that is. Sure, the original dress code was a shit show, but to imply they were "racist" is a freaking joke! Btw, they adopted that dress code from all the vegas nightclubs, they didn't invent it.

The few national names they secured failed.... why? Because of the landlord? No, because our downtown couldn't support them at that time.

Speaking of admitting truths. Can you not admit that Sprint Center and P&L kicked off the entire downtown situation?

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:45 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm
"took the risk" ohh come on.

They didn't take any risk. The city is subsidizing the whole fucking thing.

Why can't you just admit it is for what it is?

These arguments go much easier when you admit basis truths.
LMAO. You can't be serious! They didn't take any risk? They put millions upon millions into the project. Keep in mind it's a small, family owned company. The vast majority of the city portion was for infrastructure that needed to be completed regardless of who, what or when downtown was redeveloped. Literally none of the city money built a nightclub or bar. Can you name any other single entity who has invested more private money into downtown?

Cordish didn't fail at retail. Downtown KC didn't have the population to support national brands. Guess who's been investing in downtown residential population in order to set us up for legit national retail?

And the racist comments are flat out bullshit. Can't even tell you how much bullshit that is. Sure, the original dress code was a shit show, but to imply they were "racist" is a freaking joke! Btw, they adopted that dress code from all the vegas nightclubs, they didn't invent it.

The few national names they secured failed.... why? Because of the landlord? No, because our downtown couldn't support them at that time.

Speaking of admitting truths. Can you not admit that Sprint Center and P&L kicked off the entire downtown situation?
We are not missing out on Hard Rock Cafe in any form. Copy and pasting a bunch of national chains is honestly boring to me, doesn't seem attractive to tourists, and doesn't keep money in the local economy.

Cordish has been a visionary player in KC and glad to have them. TBH, they do have the reputation of not being very open to the community. Its an opinion shared by many leaders in downtown and the business community that I speak with. In my own experience, I have found Cordish's other offices to be much more open than KC.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:55 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:45 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm
"took the risk" ohh come on.

They didn't take any risk. The city is subsidizing the whole fucking thing.

Why can't you just admit it is for what it is?

These arguments go much easier when you admit basis truths.
LMAO. You can't be serious! They didn't take any risk? They put millions upon millions into the project. Keep in mind it's a small, family owned company. The vast majority of the city portion was for infrastructure that needed to be completed regardless of who, what or when downtown was redeveloped. Literally none of the city money built a nightclub or bar. Can you name any other single entity who has invested more private money into downtown?

Cordish didn't fail at retail. Downtown KC didn't have the population to support national brands. Guess who's been investing in downtown residential population in order to set us up for legit national retail?

And the racist comments are flat out bullshit. Can't even tell you how much bullshit that is. Sure, the original dress code was a shit show, but to imply they were "racist" is a freaking joke! Btw, they adopted that dress code from all the vegas nightclubs, they didn't invent it.

The few national names they secured failed.... why? Because of the landlord? No, because our downtown couldn't support them at that time.

Speaking of admitting truths. Can you not admit that Sprint Center and P&L kicked off the entire downtown situation?
We are not missing out on Hard Rock Cafe in any form. Copy and pasting a bunch of national chains is honestly boring to me, doesn't seem attractive to tourists, and doesn't keep money in the local economy.

Cordish has been a visionary player in KC and glad to have them. TBH, they do have the reputation of not being very open to the community. Its an opinion shared by many leaders in downtown and the business community that I speak with. In my own experience, I have found Cordish's other offices to be much more open than KC.
I think that’s very interesting. Possibly due to them constantly being on the defensive here in KC. It literally never stops and they’ll always pay the price for the overestimating done by a consultant. They suffer the blame when it wasn’t really their doing.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30732
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

This "Cordish is God's gift to downtown KC and you all should appreciate that and not ask any questions of them" is not a good look for Cordish. All parties have benefited from the situation.

Cordish was a part of the estimating revenues of the project. We all knew it was unrealistically high at the time. It was worth the city investment. Very few disagree with that nowadays.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 am
This "Cordish is God's gift to downtown KC and you all should appreciate that and not ask any questions of them" is not a good look for Cordish. All parties have benefited from the situation.

Cordish was a part of the estimating revenues of the project. We all knew it was unrealistically high at the time. It was worth the city investment. Very few disagree with that nowadays.
Never said they should be considered gods gift to downtown or questions shouldn’t be asked of them. Of course they’ve benefited but diving into the biggest project of the companies history at the time was a risk. It’s worked out very well for them and launched them into several other markets.

In the last decade, I’ve not seen one story in the media about the rise of downtown and what players are responsible for that rise. I’ve only seen the twice a year stories about the bonds and negative topics. So I’m not surprised Cordish seems unavailable. It’s just that no one reaches out or wants to talk shop. It’s not hard to even contact the head of Cordish if you really want to.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:38 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm
"took the risk" ohh come on.

They didn't take any risk. The city is subsidizing the whole fucking thing.

Why can't you just admit it is for what it is?

These arguments go much easier when you admit basis truths.
Cordish has spent and continues to spend their own and their investor's money in KC, yes? Cordish could have done the same in other cities with better trajectories, leaders, and populations, yes? Cordish continues to believe that KC will continue to grow and potentially even boom, yes? What other national players have done close to what Cordish has? Have any local firms?
I would argue investment is different than risk. I like Cordish, but their supporters can be a bit insufferable. I’ve supported them in their fights with city over their original agreement. But it’s not the 2000s anymore, and every argument can’t be solved with look what we did when no one else would.

The rest you said I mostly agree with. Kansas City is a very conservative city with local developers and has failed to attract outside developers.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by normalthings »

@DColeKC

Will the "CROWN CASTLE CELLUAR HUB" atop Kansas City Live boost cell service for visitors of the entire district and residents or will it only work for people inside KC Live itself?

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 2cb71c4c44

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:58 am
@DColeKC

Will the "CROWN CASTLE CELLUAR HUB" atop Kansas City Live boost cell service for visitors of the entire district and residents or will it only work for people inside KC Live itself?

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 2cb71c4c44
I believe it’s just for KC Live, same company has installed small hubs in other Cordish ran districts.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

Spire has fixed the roads and sidewalks but used non-matching bricks. Annoys me because all they had to do was keep the bricks they removed to our back. Such a sloppy job.

Post Reply