OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

Old school bank mortgage has caught up too. All esig and email.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:57 am Old school bank mortgage has caught up too. All esig and email.
Some banks are way behind. We did a rate adjustment (cheaper than a refinance) on ours back in summer and we had to go sign paperwork via drive thru

banking experiences vary so widely still. It's definitely a transitional period
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Well as someone within management & mortgage lending with Commerce, I will say that there are a lot of clients who can or could do things on their own with little to no interaction with people. Keep in mind there will always be "people behind the curtains" making decisions and such. Plus if you run into an issue, you are going to want and be very thankful that you have a person to call and or have been working with someone. Again, everyone does their own thing and has comfort levels. But there are still a lot of people who value the relationships and interaction. If anything knowing there is a person helping you can make you less anxious. But to each their own and I'm glad that companies are flexible to customer to work with they the way they want to work.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Has there been discussion of getting rid of the brick sidewalks? They constantly need repair. Let's just put concrete in. While we're at it let's widen some sidewalks especially down Main and Walnut.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:03 am Has there been discussion of getting rid of the brick sidewalks? They constantly need repair. Let's just put concrete in. While we're at it let's widen some sidewalks especially down Main and Walnut.
Yes, please! Good idea, terrible implementation.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:18 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:03 am Has there been discussion of getting rid of the brick sidewalks? They constantly need repair. Let's just put concrete in. While we're at it let's widen some sidewalks especially down Main and Walnut.
Yes, please! Good idea, terrible implementation.
Please explain how it was terrible implementation? I mean it’s not like there could have been a better way to lay down bricks!

They’d love to get rid of the bricks as they’re a pain in the ass and a constant nightmare to maintain. When I was there I did get some quotes to go all concrete and it’s substantial.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was a bad install. There are numerous brick sidewalks around the city that don't need constant repair.

Just overall a bad design choice.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:00 pm It was a bad install. There are numerous brick sidewalks around the city that don't need constant repair.

They were bad day one. Should have had concrete backing.

Incidently, brick or cobblestone on concrete is a great traffic calming surface. Just sucks to try and remove ice and snow. But it's better than asphalt because pot holes are eaiser to manage.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:00 pm It was a bad install. There are numerous brick sidewalks around the city that don't need constant repair.

There are two locations that constantly need repair and that’s because they’re on a grade that sees heavy traffic. I don’t think it’s a poor install but a problem that’s going to require removing brick and adjusting the sand base a few times a year. Brick sidewalks are 3x expensive as concrete and have some advantages, mainly the aesthetic. I think it was a great design choice to help make a brand new district feel like it’s been there awhile. With brick, comes movement and shifting. Ironically, that’s one of the advantages to it as well.

Stamped concrete would be cool but I don’t know if that was available or popular at time of construction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol my man the plaza with 1000x the foot traffic has brick sidewalks and elevation and don't need this level of maintenance. It was just bad install. This isn't cordish fault. I'm sure the appreciate your willingness to shield them from absolutely any criticism but it's not needed on this one.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’m positive you have no insight to verify how much the plaza sidewalks need maintained. I’m also positive they do need occasional maintenance and unless you’re flying your helicopter over the plaza everyday to see if anything’s being worked on, you have no clue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is a crazy amount of defense of something out of crodish control.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:26 pm This is a crazy amount of defense of something out of crodish control.
It’s not in defense of Cordish. It’s in response to your opinion that it was a bad design choice and bad install. You clearly don’t have real world insight on the matter or you wouldn’t state that the plaza never needs its sidewalks fixed. That’s like saying you own a car that never needs new tires. All brick sidewalks require more maintenance than a concrete one.

I’m sure at times Cordish wishes they’d gone a different route but dealing with the issue a few times a year is still the best option.

Anyway, agree to disagree.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I didn't say their sidewalks don't need maintenance. I said they don't need as much despite 1000x more foot traffic

The funny thing is I posted this simply to see how fast you'd fly in and how passionately defend it. Exceeded my expectations to talk me down that I don't have brick sidewalks expertise.

Anyways, brick is the least of our problems down there. We now have pipes affixed to the sidewalk.

https://twitter.com/downtownkc/status/1 ... 84642?s=19
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:39 pm I didn't say their sidewalks don't need maintenance. I said they don't need as much despite 1000x more foot traffic

The funny thing is I posted this simply to see how fast you'd fly in and how passionately defend it. Exceeded my expectations to talk me down that I don't have brick sidewalks expertise.

Anyways, brick is the least of our problems down there. We now have pipes affixed to the sidewalk.

https://twitter.com/downtownkc/status/1 ... 84642?s=19
Oh, so you were trolling. You must have plenty of free time of your posting just to get a rise out of me.

You can call the city and complain about that situation with the temporary water setup.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It is a pandemic, so yeah plenty of time.

Yeah that's why 311 is tagged in that tweet. That's the city.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 pm It is a pandemic, so yeah plenty of time.

Yeah that's why 311 is tagged in that tweet. That's the city.
The city is aware. Cordish worked with them on this temporary solution as there’s a water main break under the streetcar track that’s going to take some time to repair. This was the only solution to keep that entire block of tenants open. The sidewalk isn’t completely blocked either.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In its current state it did not appear to be passable by a wheelchair. There should be signs at each end of the block making pedestrians aware. If longer than 10 days an alternative route on the same side of the street needs to be installed such as rerouting pedestrian traffic onto a protected route on the street. It's all in the code
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 am In its current state it did not appear to be passable by a wheelchair. There should be signs at each end of the block making pedestrians aware. If longer than 10 days an alternative route on the same side of the street needs to be installed such as rerouting pedestrian traffic onto a protected route on the street. It's all in the code
I’m positive John with Cordish worked out all those details with the city as they’re in constant communication and the water department did the temporary install. The ADA access into that section of the block isn’t effected. It’s ugly and temporary.

Right now the hold up is who’s responsible for the repair.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It is amazing how many times city department's install things that don't comply especially with sidewalk blockages. Happens daily. Water especially.

A wheelchair can't go from Walnut to Main on 14th on the north side, it needs fixed better than that. We'll see what the ticket does. Usually the city just ignores their own rules, so I expect nothing.

It's a pretty easy solution, just block some of the westbound lane for a walkway around it.