OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:08 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:48 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:17 pm

You’re a lost cause man. A real piece of work. The only concern is safety of guests. You’re always so quick to make this about control or something more than it is. Big bad Cordish wants to control this or that.

Oh wait, the band was playing a poison song? Make sense considering they’re a 80’s cover band boss. Glad you “walked by” at 9:10pm and have it all summed up! Sure you were able to utilize your musician expertise to judge the quality of the band during that 22 second walk by.

They have a legendary cover band tonight. Well Hungarians. Please walk by and let us know your assessment clown.
Pro tip, the guy who created this site and this specific room for p&l and a decades long downtown resident does not hate it and has been trying for decades to make sure it succeeds. Giving you the experience I had about scooters right after you said they were shutdown at 7pm. This speaks to why cordish isn't connecting with the residents though.

Maybe don't oversell a cover band.
First off, I don’t care that you started this forum and room just like I don’t care you’re a KSU fan and drive an Audi. If you want to offer up criticism and want it to make it back to Cordish, you can. You’re little cunty way of offering the criticism isn’t the way. That’s my pro tip to you.

How do you know Cordish isn’t connecting with the residents? Because a company rep doesn’t pop on here and say, “Thank you Mr Powercat for that information, we will take it into consideration and do better.”

You offer your info about the scooters, which was in reference to the less popular and far less numerous Spin brand scooters. They haven’t activated the 7:30pm mode yet. That’s a fine observation if you present it properly and not with snarky anecdote about the band.

I’ve never got the feeling you do anything to make sure PNL succeeds. Maybe it’s directed at me, but you’re always negative and condescending about it.

Don’t oversell a cover band? Lol. Look at the bands schedule and the places they play. They sell out knuckleheads when they play there. I said a great band and you walk by and hear 30 seconds of one song and I’m over selling? Gtfo.
I didn't ask you to care I'm just saying I'm the furthest from a p&l hater you will find and gave examples to back that up. I exclusively shop at cosentinos for groceries to help support that asset.

I'll frame my criticisms in a less cutesy way, I find it funny but I'll take you up on the pro tip, thanks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

But come on great band? Tell us it's a great cover band next time. They have their place I just found it funny walking by hearing Poison.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You’re little cunty way of offering the criticism isn’t the way. That’s my pro tip to you.
Its "Your" little cunty way.

If you really want to use "You're" it would be "You're a little cunty in a way".
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:21 pm

You’re little cunty way of offering the criticism isn’t the way. That’s my pro tip to you.
Its "Your" little cunty way.

If you really want to use "You're" it would be "You're a little cunty in a way".
Now this is constructive criticism I can use. Thank you for the correction.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:19 am What a dick! An embarrassment to Cordish and yourself.
Considering I don’t work for Cordish but have relationships with many that do, not sure what you’re getting at.

And the only thing embarrassing here is how long you’ve been on this forum and how little you offer besides constantly commenting in response to me or about me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:19 am What a dick! An embarrassment to Cordish and yourself.
Considering I don’t work for Cordish but have relationships with many that do, not sure what you’re getting at.

And the only thing embarrassing here is how long you’ve been on this forum and how little you offer besides constantly commenting in response to me or about me.
quick look at bfm's recent posts shows that's not accurate.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:23 am The city refuses to make two key policy shifts with shared scooters:

1. Require "lock-to" operations. This reinforces the parking requirements the for-profit scooter companies attempt to manage, but have become completely ineffective. Chicago is a major city that has this requirement and it virtually eliminates scofflaw parking. KCMO saw this directly with the 1-year "RideKC" scooter deployment that used "lock-to" for every device. Local bike share still operates this way (and generates very few parking complaints).

2. Move all sanctioned scooter parking into the street. KCMO has done this in very limited areas -- SW Blvd & Baltimore, 18t & Oak, 13th & Grand -- but the official regulation is that they can park on the sidewalk in the "amenity zone" or near available bike racks. The problem, of course, is that lay people have no concept of what the amenity zone is and there is a dearth of public bike racks. Also, people clearly don't understand what ADA ramps are for and I can't tell you how many times I have to drag a Bird off of the ramp so someone in a wheelchair can reach the beg button to cross a street safely with a WALK signal. It's simple: Ride in the street, park in the street.

So instead we're left with spot geofencing (which is not super effective) and special cases for parking and riding that leaves users confused. On top of that, there's little enforcement for dangerous group riding that's tied to a PD tasked with too many things when they should be hyper-focused on violent crime reduction.

All that said, I'd pick lawless bands of scooter bros on the sidewalks over lawless bands of polluting muscle cars and not-street-legal ATVs spinning out in crowded intersections any day of the week.
Good information. It sucks they’ve been forced to close grand between 13th & 14th to prevent the cars and atv fiascos on the weekend evenings.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 am

quick look at bfm's recent posts shows that's not accurate.
You’re probably right but I’m biased, because what I see the most out of him is in response to something I say and it’s rarely about the topic.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

while closing grand is one way to stop them in a very specific area, it's not the greatest option and definitely not the only option. We can't just keep closing up streets as our only answer to problems.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like closing the streets the through streets in Power & Light on weekends to create a pedestrian friendly area where you can move about without wondering if you will get run over over. It could certainly function well without the closures but they do help create more of the district feel to limited autos to the outskirts.

The crazy street racing, burn out, drifter drivers stuff needs to go. Need to pass laws laws that carry steeper punishments especially for repeat offenders. I'm surprised that with cameras in the district and such they can isolate license plates and issues tickets to the car owners.

If this type of car craze is such a big deal I'm surprised someone has not figured out a way to monetize yet by opening up a drift track, drag strip, open lot for donuts, type of venue in the city.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:51 am I like closing the streets the through streets in Power & Light on weekends to create a pedestrian friendly area where you can move about without wondering if you will get run over over. It could certainly function well without the closures but they do help create more of the district feel to limited autos to the outskirts.

The crazy street racing, burn out, drifter drivers stuff needs to go. Need to pass laws laws that carry steeper punishments especially for repeat offenders. I'm surprised that with cameras in the district and such they can isolate license plates and issues tickets to the car owners.

If this type of car craze is such a big deal I'm surprised someone has not figured out a way to monetize yet by opening up a drift track, drag strip, open lot for donuts, type of venue in the city.
I'm with you about closing the streets but I know a few in here don't like when streets are shutdown.

The street racing stuff in my opinion has nothing to do with racing or car enthusiasts. It's 100% about defiance and taking over a street corner. I just saw a video where a car does donuts around a stopped police SUV and even swings it's tail around and makes contact with a police officer.

Once arrests are made and cars are impounded, maybe that will make an impact. These aren't supped up cars either, they're stock mustangs and chargers.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

agreed, and I saw the same video, curious as to why the drive was not arrested on the spot once they made contact with an officer. Apparently the laws are vague and limited in enforcement capability. But if they are altered to be able to impound cars and or issues arrests, along with tickets/fines that should help.

As for closed streets, as long as it is on a FRI & SAT from say like 10pm-3am, prime bar hours, I'm cool with it as I mentioned it creates a nicer district for people to be able to journey around without worrying about getting clipped. And given the fact some people like to get overserved, limiting traffic can help keep people safe. Parking is right there via garages and those access streets are not closed just might have to go a block or 2 East or West to pickup a street to head South on but it is not a huge deal. I mean hell NYC cut off traffic in Times Square years ago to create a more pedestrian friendly area for all to enjoy without worrying about traffic. But each is there own I guess
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can definitely see the benefits of closing down streets regarding pedestrian safety. Seems we never want to fix the root cause of anything though. Closing down Grand doesn't fix the street racer / dirt bike / 4 wheeler / scooter issues, it just moves it away from Cordish front door. Same with Westport and their shutting down streets. Just moved their problem a couple blocks away from Kelly's front door.

Great for that business, not doing much for the community.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:00 pm I can definitely see the benefits of closing down streets regarding pedestrian safety. Seems we never want to fix the root cause of anything though. Closing down Grand doesn't fix the street racer / dirt bike / 4 wheeler / scooter issues, it just moves it away from Cordish front door. Same with Westport and their shutting down streets. Just moved their problem a couple blocks away from Kelly's front door.

True. But what is a solution to a small amount of people just wanting to cause issues? You could create a free and safe place for cars to race or do donuts but no one would show up.

Youth groups hanging out late and causing a problem was big in the plaza awhile back. Curfews were the only way to handle it because if you build a giant young center with all the bells and whistles, they won’t use it.

So how do we stop people who want to cause chaos from causing chaos? Besides the obvious of better parenting.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:07 pm So how do we stop people who want to cause chaos from causing chaos? Besides the obvious of better parenting.
Seems you've made a fancy district that is only accessible to those over 21... and those under 21 (mostly) are congregating just outside the district raising hell. Exclusivity always breeds contempt and push back. Maybe, do more events that cater to the crowd feeling left out.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:47 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:07 pm So how do we stop people who want to cause chaos from causing chaos? Besides the obvious of better parenting.
Seems you've made a fancy district that is only accessible to those over 21... and those under 21 (mostly) are congregating just outside the district raising hell. Exclusivity always breeds contempt and push back. Maybe, do more events that cater to the crowd feeling left out.
The entire area is all ages until 9pm, 7 days a week. It's also an entertainment district that needs a mostly 21+ crowd in order to survive and shocker, adults don't like to get out of the house and away from the kids just to be around some other peoples kids acting wild at 11pm on a Saturday.

They do several events throughout the year that caters to all age groups.

Do you really think parents should allow their 12-18 year old kids to hang out without their supervision in a downtown area after 9pm on the weekends? Not like it matters because this is America, where we don't actually have the balls to call out the core of issues, instead we say things like, "Exclusivity always breeds contempt"! Yeah, being 21+ is an exclusive club, one that most everyone born will get to be a member of.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm not condemning the district being 21+. I'm just thinking it is the reason why those who are excluded at those times are "causing chaos". I'm not really going to comment on the parenting comments. I'm sure others had a more sheltered HS period than I did but I spent a lot of late nights in coffee shops and diners DT when I was that age. I wouldn't say my parents were neglectful in any way.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think some of the people causing the chaos/trouble are under 21, but there is also I'm guessing people over 21 in that group as well. I'm looking at this through the group itself, these street racers, drift enthusiast, etc. I think they have decided to gather there to be "seen" pure and simple. And in turn this brings others to see what is going on and you have groups of 21+ & 21 & under who want to be in the hip "look at me area" but do not want to pay anything to participate or perhaps do not have the disposable income to want to participate in what P&L has to offer.

DColeKC is correct, we could spend a lot of money to develop some kind of alternative but in the past these things have not shown to be that effective. Some have and some have not. But when you can get in your car and go the spot you are going to go just to go.

Look at how big First Friday grew away from it's roots. Eventually there were a lot of people there who just wanted to be in the "scene" and maybe cause some trouble. We all know how that played out and it effectively shut down the large event for all, and then COVID capped it off.

We need things for youth to do but there is no magic answer. Best thing you can do now to prevent these "Too Fast Too Furious" crowd is enforce the laws on the books and look to create new ones with more teeth to take steeper actions, vehicle impoundment for repeat offenders, suspend licenses, stiff fines, etc. Basically make the area a know hassle and people will stop going there. Where they go next I don't know and not looking to kick the can down the street but I have no answer short of using some old vacant flat concrete area to let these people burn out and drift to their hearts content. Not sure where those places are. Maybe old Indian Springs mall site, or level some buildings in the old Leeds area and create a car enthusiast area down there.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:03 pm vehicle impoundment for first offenders, suspend licenses, stiff fines, etc.
fixed it for you!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:07 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:00 pm I can definitely see the benefits of closing down streets regarding pedestrian safety. Seems we never want to fix the root cause of anything though. Closing down Grand doesn't fix the street racer / dirt bike / 4 wheeler / scooter issues, it just moves it away from Cordish front door. Same with Westport and their shutting down streets. Just moved their problem a couple blocks away from Kelly's front door.

True. But what is a solution to a small amount of people just wanting to cause issues? You could create a free and safe place for cars to race or do donuts but no one would show up.

Youth groups hanging out late and causing a problem was big in the plaza awhile back. Curfews were the only way to handle it because if you build a giant young center with all the bells and whistles, they won’t use it.

So how do we stop people who want to cause chaos from causing chaos? Besides the obvious of better parenting.
I wish I had the solution.