OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

RIP that outdoor bar.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

You'll start to notice changes over time to this area. Not so much the tenants, but security, programming and other activation will pick up and become more regular over time. PNC will also sponsor other street style festivals.

It will be nice to see this area finally utilized, including trying to make it a more inviting Friday lunch spot, complete with live music.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:29 am You'll start to notice changes over time to this area. Not so much the tenants, but security, programming and other activation will pick up and become more regular over time. PNC will also sponsor other street style festivals.

It will be nice to see this area finally utilized, including trying to make it a more inviting Friday lunch spot, complete with live music.
Is this all referencing the PNC plaza? Replacement for memas would be nice.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

PNC Plaza is pretty nice for what it is, nice city views too. But they do need to replace the staticy speakers blaring too loudly. Rather obnoxious. And the music should be background during day, not forefront.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:44 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:29 am You'll start to notice changes over time to this area. Not so much the tenants, but security, programming and other activation will pick up and become more regular over time. PNC will also sponsor other street style festivals.

Is this all referencing the PNC plaza? Replacement for memas would be nice.
There was chatter (on here, perhaps?) once upon a time that the Brioche team was moving to Mema's space. But that was months ago now.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:48 pm PNC Plaza is pretty nice for what it is, nice city views too. But they do need to replace the staticy speakers blaring too loudly. Rather obnoxious. And the music should be background during day, not forefront.
Speakers are old and they're trying to get the volume, playlist etc worked out in addition to upgrading speakers, lighting and other elements.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:48 pm PNC Plaza is pretty nice for what it is, nice city views too. But they do need to replace the staticy speakers blaring too loudly. Rather obnoxious. And the music should be background during day, not forefront.
Speakers are old and they're trying to get the volume, playlist etc worked out in addition to upgrading speakers, lighting and other elements.
When can I buy a beverage at the bar?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 pm
During any special events they do, like Urbana, Fall Fest and starting soon, on weekend evenings.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm2017
+1
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:28 pm

During any special events they do, like Urbana, Fall Fest and starting soon, on weekend evenings.
I think you could generate a decent happy hour crowd during the week.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:28 pm

I think you could generate a decent happy hour crowd during the week.
Perhaps with a sponsor they'll be able to make it work. While I was there, we tried all kinds of things. Live music, Salsa night etc and couldn't ever gain much traction. It needs some lighting upgrades to make it more comfortable at night and perhaps a few outdoor TV's.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It doesn't make sense to market events for PNC space. Just have a bar for people to chill when there are alot of other events going on (Midland, Sprint Center, P&L Live, large conventions, etc). Good space to escape if walking by. Sometimes low profile is better. Blasting music on staticy speakers is not 'chill'.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That space wasn't well designed. I'm not designer so I don't know why exactly but it just doesn't feel right
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 pm It doesn't make sense to market events for PNC space. Just have a bar for people to chill when there are alot of other events going on (Midland, Sprint Center, P&L Live, large conventions, etc). Good space to escape if walking by. Sometimes low profile is better. Blasting music on staticy speakers is not 'chill'.
Like mentioned, the speakers are original to the structure and need to be replaced. Higher quality speakers would help. People perceive poor quality as loud, when usually it isn’t a volume issue.

They’re not doing specific events strictly focused on the bar. Unfortunately, that bar will never be busy enough to maintain regular hours.

Improvements in overall atmosphere would help, but this is a public space project not focused on making a profit. So I’m sure they have a limited upgrade budget. You can tell they’ve made some improvements here and there over the years, but honestly the live block is such a draw that we always noticed people had very little interest in spending time in the PNC plaza area. I think they’re going to test the waters with the Friday lunch hour music performances. The space was really created for the downtown worker.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's poorly designed for any type of customer. Maybe if more storefronts were filled say the basement of H&R it would help but it just feels too isolated from the street on all sides.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:05 pm It's poorly designed for any type of customer. Maybe if more storefronts were filled say the basement of H&R it would help but it just feels too isolated from the street on all sides.
Can't say I agree there. It was always meant to be a courtyard area for surrounding tenants customers and downtown workers. A courtyard by definition is an unroofed area enclosed by walls.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The entry points is what I was referring to. Each entry point to the "courtyard" requires stairs. Think that hurts its ability to draw people to come in....well that and the businesses that are in there are pud. As a downtown worker and customer of the tenants there that's my impression of that area and I've always thought that would be a cool bar to hang out at.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I actually really like this area, but I might be the only one. I think the problem is the tenant selection.

But it's a nice place to sit outside that doesn't involve walking to the river market or crossroads. I like that it's a little tucked away.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

But 100%, if I could buy a beer from a counter bar, chill at a table outside, and have good wifi, I would use it 100x more.