OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:07 am It is amazing how many times city department's install things that don't comply especially with sidewalk blockages. Happens daily. Water especially.

A wheelchair can't go from Walnut to Main on 14th on the north side, it needs fixed better than that. We'll see what the ticket does. Usually the city just ignores their own rules, so I expect nothing.

It's a pretty easy solution, just block some of the westbound lane for a walkway around it.
While not convenient, they could put signage up asking people to use the south side sidewalk.

With the current importance of pick up and Togo orders, I don’t think they’d want to shut down the street even partially. Thankfully it’s the least busy time of year so sidewalk traffic is down. Once they figure out who’s on the hook to foot the bill, it should take a few days to repair pending the exact location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

At minimum there should be signs on both sides. Putting a walkway on part of the street isn't going to inhibit pick up traffic and makes it compliant for ADA and city code. As worried as you were about metal plates on the sidewalk I'd think you'd see the problem with this as well.

Relying on the water department to do the right thing will result in what we have right now. Frustrating to see them continue to not care.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:20 am At minimum there should be signs on both sides. Putting a walkway on part of the street isn't going to inhibit pick up traffic and makes it compliant for ADA and city code. As worried as you were about metal plates on the sidewalk I'd think you'd see the problem with this as well.

Relying on the water department to do the right thing will result in what we have right now. Frustrating to see them continue to not care.
Putting a walkway on the street causes pickup drivers to drive in the wrong lane and do stupid things. Those same people will park in the middle of the street for 10 minutes while they go pick up an order. Very frustrating. PNL has recently put out signage for pickup parking only to help.

Metal plates in general are just an overly used tool in KC. I see the problem with this but like the metal plates, I understand that sometimes an ugly solution is the only solution.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I couldn't care about aesthetics at this point, I just want sidewalks open for all users as the city code states. It's frustrating that city departments like water are enablers to this. If everybody would just put a little thought and planning we could do better than a metal fence and a orange cone. It's not functional.

If we can't get big property owners like Cordish and departments like water to put in compliant solutions, how can we expect it from anybody in the city? We can't. That's the issue here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:19 pm yeah I couldn't care about aesthetics at this point, I just want sidewalks open for all users as the city code states. It's frustrating that city departments like water are enablers to this. If everybody would just put a little thought and planning we could do better than a metal fence and a orange cone. It's not functional.

If we can't get big property owners like Cordish and departments like water to put in compliant solutions, how can we expect it from anybody in the city? We can't. That's the issue here.
You don’t have much time to put thought into something when a water main breaks forcing 4 businesses to close. You thick quickly about how to get them back open ASAP. I understand putting thought into a planned project, but emergencies require a different approach.

Btw, here’s the classic example of idiot delivery driver parking.

gif img
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

For sure. Get it handled and now make improvements. Seems like a normal good approach to me. We just tend to forget the "improve" part.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

MIDLAND is being renovated
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:18 am MIDLAND is being renovated
The theatre?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

After a months long battle with scooter companies and having several customers hit by people on Birds, they've finally been shutdown at 7:30pm.

Not sure any of you all noticed, but it was getting way out of hand. Last few weekends were essentially a block party over at T-Mobile with loud speakers and hundreds of scooters.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:41 pm After a months long battle with scooter companies and having several customers hit by people on Birds, they've finally been shutdown at 7:30pm.

Not sure any of you all noticed, but it was getting way out of hand. Last few weekends were essentially a block party over at T-Mobile with loud speakers and hundreds of scooters.
Hundreds of idiots with birds, obnoxiously loud music and aggressively hitting on all the people: sounds like P&L Live to me!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:41 pm After a months long battle with scooter companies and having several customers hit by people on Birds, they've finally been shutdown at 7:30pm.

Hundreds of idiots with birds, obnoxiously loud music and aggressively hitting on all the people: sounds like P&L Live to me!
Wow. Who's the real idiot here? It's also abundantly clear you haven't even been inside the Live area in a decade. Keep up those old stereotypes though!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Disappointing
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kids having fun on them during the day seems like pretty innocent fun. Maybe it gets cray after I am not out anymore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Wow. Who's the real idiot here? It's also abundantly clear you haven't even been inside the Live area in a decade. Keep up those old stereotypes though!
Come on, that was funny and still true if you read it in the P&L crowd context. Anybody there in the last week could check all those boxes.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:01 pm
Come on, that was funny and still true if you read it in the P&L crowd context. Anybody there in the last week could check all those boxes.
Anyone anywhere can check those boxes but the idea of affliction wearing tools and LMFAO blaring in all the bars is so 2010!!!

I was there last night and it's a great crowd. Diverse in age and what not. Minimal aggressive flirtation that I noticed.

Instead of pushing out dumb stereotypes, maybe head down there. They've got a great band tonight from St Louis called Platinum Rock Legends.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:01 pm Kids having fun on them during the day seems like pretty innocent fun. Maybe it gets cray after I am not out anymore.
Pedestrians getting hit by them. Cops on 4-wheelers getting ran into by others on 4-wheelers. Kid broke his leg last weekend on one because they all want to do "stunts".
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:30 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:01 pm

Anyone anywhere can check those boxes but the idea of affliction wearing tools and LMFAO blaring in all the bars is so 2010!!!
He never said this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:32 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:01 pm Kids having fun on them during the day seems like pretty innocent fun. Maybe it gets cray after I am not out anymore.
Pedestrians getting hit by them. Cops on 4-wheelers getting ran into by others on 4-wheelers. Kid broke his leg last weekend on one because they all want to do "stunts".
I've never been hit by one but I could see how it would happen and not a good time. Definitely don't want them riding on the sidewalks. More innocent to me that donuts in the streets and gun play. Baby steps.

Build an entertainment district, you draw crowds. Shocker.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:46 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:32 pm
I've never been hit by one but I could see how it would happen and not a good time. Definitely don't want them riding on the sidewalks. More innocent to me that donuts in the streets and gun play. Baby steps.

Build an entertainment district, you draw crowds. Shocker.
Yes, that’s the point of an entertainment district but it’s not built to draw 10 year olds getting wild on scooters at midnight on Saturdays. They almost always ride them on the sidewalks.

This was the first logical step before the city flat out bans them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So wait all scooters shutdown at 730pm? This is a very hamhanded and shortsighted approach. They are a valid transportation option.

The way this city "solves" problems (alongside the urging of the cordish/westport $ folks of the world) is so backasswards