OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 am How included is our neighborhood association at these planning meetings? RideKC (Dave?)? Downtown Council?

I do think if Cordish is closing roads they bear responsibility to sign it properly just like I mentioned construction companies are required to do for detours. That falls on the city to require that though, not cordish out of their good ole hearts.
Can't have too many chefs but downtown council is in regular contact and while I'm not sure of how things work lately, these events used to be discussed at the city street closure and parking meeting.

Earlier, when I said the majority consensus is these events are worth the pain, I'm speaking about the fact the city continues to approve the permits and the overall conversations around them are positive.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Downtown residents should be represnted in those meetings through our neighborhood association if truly care about the downtown neighborhood. Just my opinion. Typically anything in this city the council/mayor asks if the applicable neighborhood association was involved. should be no different downtown. I don't think transit and property owners are too many chefs in the kitchen. They are key.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:06 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 am How included is our neighborhood association at these planning meetings? RideKC (Dave?)? Downtown Council?

I do think if Cordish is closing roads they bear responsibility to sign it properly just like I mentioned construction companies are required to do for detours. That falls on the city to require that though, not cordish out of their good ole hearts.
Can't have too many chefs but downtown council is in regular contact and while I'm not sure of how things work lately, these events used to be discussed at the city street closure and parking meeting.

Earlier, when I said the majority consensus is these events are worth the pain, I'm speaking about the fact the city continues to approve the permits and the overall conversations around them are positive.
Downtown Council does not speak for residents, it is a business organization.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

These events are for the residents. We don't you know include them in the event planning. Just trust us it's for YOU!!!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:36 pm These events are for the residents. We don't you know include them in the event planning. Just trust us it's for YOU!!!
I've been on some zoom meetings over the last year where various communities had reps and others where some downtown residents were actually on the calls. You want to talk about a way to get nothing done or set yourself up for failure, that's a great way to do it!

They have over 600 downtown residents paying rent downtown, they get plenty of feedback. On top of that it's very easy to email the folks that work for Cordish locally with your feedback. I believe their contact info is on their website.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think a random email to contact us is going to alter the membership of the groups planning events. I think this is best handled through the DNA and working through the city to ensure we get represented in these matters. It's just good practice to involve the applicable neighborhood associations. Kind of surprised DNA isn't involved.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:09 pm I don't think a random email to contact us is going to alter the membership of the groups planning events. I think this is best handled through the DNA and working through the city to ensure we get represented in these matters. It's just good practice to involve the applicable neighborhood associations. Kind of surprised DNA isn't involved.
Anyone on this forum a board member of DNA? Cordish had rep on the board last I knew.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The carnival should be a monthly occurrence May-August. This is the type of investment and event management that I want in my scheme for reborn First Fridays. Happy Cordish put this together.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Ftr, I wasn't complaining about this event. But there needs to be a more structured way to shut down streets. This isn't just Cordish either. The amount of shitty cone diversions is embarrassing around downtown right now too.

And it's incredibly dangerous. Drivers get confused and start looking all the way around and different directions while driving a killing machine. It's not something to be laughed about or dismissed. Time to do better
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:35 pm The thing that people rarely talk about is that it's dangerous for pedestrians too.

I don't know what this is and won't go. But I do walk around downtown every day, and having a bunch of confused drivers because streets are closed gets really dangerous.

The "it only matters if you care about full streets" comment above was obnoxious and not true.
Shutting down streets for pedestrian only traffic makes it more dangerous for pedestrians? Joking; I understand your point but I disagree. Everyday down here as a pedestrian is dangerous with the drivers zooming around downtown.
I want to respond to this but honestly because I know we've had our disagreements. I'm okay with streets being shut down and I'm all for more pedestrian streets.

But when cars get redirected through downtown they tend to get really confused and it's so dangerous, especially with events.

I don't know who is responsible, but it's a real issue. I've almost been hit multiple times.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:25 pm But when cars get redirected through downtown they tend to get really confused and it's so dangerous, especially with events.
It's almost like we need a street arrangement that when streets are closed people would know that they could go around the event on an adjacent street. Like a perpendicular street grid, idk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I decided to jump in the car and drive around last night. Wanted to experience what non-residents experience.

It wasn’t good. The signage is bad and I saw car after car turn into left turn lanes only to find out they can’t turn left which leads to more traffic issues.

I’ll mention to operations director next time I see him. I will say the complaining from the people in my building has been about average on the two light parking situation.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:53 am I decided to jump in the car and drive around last night. Wanted to experience what non-residents experience.

It wasn’t good. The signage is bad and I saw car after car turn into left turn lanes only to find out they can’t turn left which leads to more traffic issues.

I’ll mention to operations director next time I see him. I will say the complaining from the people in my building has been about average on the two light parking situation.
Thanks for doing this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Two Light garage is a mess overall. the left turn from northbound Grand needs to be eliminated immediately.

Thanks for checking it out DCole.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:41 pm The carnival should be a monthly occurrence May-August. This is the type of investment and event management that I want in my scheme for reborn First Fridays. Happy Cordish put this together.
That's fine but maybe not at this location. I had no less than 8 downtown residents LOL'ing about it this weekend but it's something different and brings people downtown I assume.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:28 am Two Light garage is a mess overall. the left turn from northbound Grand needs to be eliminated immediately.

Thanks for checking it out DCole.
Might be worth it to look at changing the SB left-turn lane to Truman to start on the overpass and make the portion north of Truman a left-turn lane for Two Light.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:29 am
normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:41 pm The carnival should be a monthly occurrence May-August. This is the type of investment and event management that I want in my scheme for reborn First Fridays. Happy Cordish put this together.
That's fine but maybe not at this location. I had no less than 8 downtown residents LOL'ing about it this weekend but it's something different and brings people downtown I assume.
What specifically were they laughing about? Poking fun at people or just talking shit in general? Or was it the 23,000 people that came downtown this weekend and spent $980,000?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think they were laughing at overstated economic impact reports.

Mostly seeing kids rides on Grand. I think it was a fine family event honestly.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 am I think they were laughing at overstated economic impact reports.

Those people are crazy.

If the same impact could be seen every weekend that's $50 million per year.

That's better than a Best Buy in terms of annual sales. So this event was doing business equal to a notable nationwide business. Not too shabby for a carnival.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 am I think they were laughing at overstated economic impact reports.

Those people are crazy.

If the same impact could be seen every weekend that's $50 million per year.

That's better than a Best Buy in terms of annual sales. So this event was doing business equal to a notable nationwide business. Not too shabby for a carnival.
Not too shabby and there’s much room for improvement from what I saw. The overall setup and constantly walking through lines didn’t make sense.