OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote:OK...

Worst case scenario: Couldn't the MoDESA application get denied for P&L Live? I wouldn't put anything past the powers that be in Missouri when it comes to KC projects.
Very unlikely. The state Economic Development department was very involved in the H&R Block retention. Not only is it that department that approves and administers MODESA projects, but the director of the dept., Kelvin Simmons, is a former KC city council member.

There is no anit-KC conspiracy. Do you have any specific reasons for your question??
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:Do you have any specific reasons for your question??
Can't really blame him for askin' the question. Cordish's website still doesn't mention anything at all about a development happening in Kansas City. So the company must still be a bit skeptical until the deal is 100% finalized.

But I agree, P&L Live (former KC Live) has about a 99% chance of happening. I'm jus' anticipating some real renderings with announced tentants before they break ground. One would think that they kinda have to know what they're gettin' before they even come up with any true renderings of the project.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: There is no anit-KC conspiracy. Do you have any specific reasons for your question??
I am asking because of the last minute screw job that was done to KC on the MoDESA legislation concerning the arena. I don't believe it's out of the question to ask that we not count our chickens until...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The last minute Modesa screwing wasn't about an anti-KC conspiracy. It was simply politics. The KC delegation was out-maneuvered and out-smarted by a single legislator, Wayne Goode of St. Charles County (St. Louis). Our reps made a strategic decision to accept defeat in the battle over an arena in order to win the bigger war over Modesa.

Que, the Cordish web site doesn't have much info about anything that isn't finished. Don't take that as an indication of their committment to KC. Right now they are looking for space for a KC office of 15 people. That says a lot.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote:The last minute Modesa screwing wasn't about an anti-KC conspiracy. It was simply politics. The KC delegation was out-maneuvered and out-smarted by a single legislator, Wayne Goode of St. Charles County (St. Louis). Our reps made a strategic decision to accept defeat in the battle over an arena in order to win the bigger war over Modesa.
Obviously, saying there is an anti-KC movement happening in Jeff City is blowing things up a tad. I would contend there is an "ignore KC" movement that's going on. But as you said, it may have to do with the mousiness of KC's delagation to Jeff City. Didn't they even get denied on the bistate metro sports commission formation (which made complete sense and had little, if any, impact on the state of Missouri)?

Yeah...the Cordish site sucks...can't rely on it for info.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

We're getting off topic, but... The proposal to make the sports commission bistate was killed by one of our own, Independence Senator Vic Callahan. Again, this was pure politics. Callahan used to be Chair of the Jackson County Legislature, where he spent several years in a bitter poltical feud with County Executive Katheryn Shields. Thus, this was an opportunity for Callahan to stick it to Shields and embarras her in front of the other county governments.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote:We're getting off topic, but... The proposal to make the sports commission bistate was killed by one of our own, Independence Senator Vic Callahan. Again, this was pure politics. Callahan used to be Chair of the Jackson County Legislature, where he spent several years in a bitter poltical feud with County Executive Katheryn Shields. Thus, this was an opportunity for Callahan to stick it to Shields and embarras her in front of the other county governments.
(very obnoxious post coming...)

Gosh, we sure have some great leaders on the MO side...
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I like imagining how everything will become, I think it'll be cool seeing an aerial of downtown and the arena on ESPN. Showing an active downtown with a very active entertainment district.

On the issue of parking, does anyone think they will build more 10 floor garages south or close to the arena? (like south of the JCC or south of the highway)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

www.powerandlightlive.com & www.powerlandlightdistrict.com have both been registered by Cordish.

Yes that 2nd one is powerlandlightdistrict. Not powerandlightdistrict
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

they should just call the project POWER LAND!

it can have an awesome superhero mascot. maybe POWER MAN!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

KCP neither websites are showing up
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

or just a mistyping when registering? powerandlightdistrict.com is available.

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

So that site will eventually be something like this?

http://www.powerplantlive.com/

Can't wait until we actually start to get some information about this. Any word on how the Las Vegas convention thingy went?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

What MKB is saying about Power & Light Live:
There are a number of reasons these projects differ from some of the previously proposed redevelopment plans for this or other areas.

The mix of office, retail and residential space being planned for the district is purposefully diverse, providing for an array of different uses by all sectors of the population. Office workers will inhabit the space between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Retail shops and restaurants will be open for business during the day and in the evenings, and entertainment seekers will be able to attend events at the arena or one of the many planned entertainment venues in the evenings and on weekends. And those living in the district will enjoy the convenience of walking to their favorite venue in the district, and the excitement of living in such a vibrant, exciting area of the city.

The commitments that have been made to this district by companies such as H&R Block and the Cordish Co. are significant.

H&R Block will bring more than 1,200 current employees downtown and intends to add more than 250 additional employees in the near future to its new 500,000-square-foot corporate headquarters, which the company hopes to occupy by 2006. A phase II, 250,000-square-foot world headquarters expansion is tentatively planned for the SoLo site in 2013.

With H&R Block as an anchor, the Cordish Co. is underway with plans to develop Kansas City Live, a seven-square-block mixed-use entertainment, retail, office and residential district. The district will include diverse amenities and imaginative architecture to create an unparalleled environment in which to work, play and live. Kansas City Live will transform from a thriving lunch and retail destination during the day to a unique and exciting dining, entertainment experience in the evening hours. It will feature open storefronts, broad brick paved sidewalks, extensive landscaping, fountains and parks. The district will also feature outdoor seating for the restaurants and a permanent performance stage will provide live entertainment. The combination of entertainment, retail and nightlife coupled with imaginative design will create a unique and vibrant destination for Kansas Citians and visitors alike.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 984937.htm
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I'm interested to see how this will mesh with Xroads
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yummy website and site plans:

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'm impressed! =D>

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

thanks I just made it :wink:

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCPowercat wrote:thanks I just made it :wink:
Nice job! But you might get sued if you go public? I was hoping that Cordish finally made a website for the project, however, that site was almost too detailed about other projects in KC which kinda gave it away.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was kidding....that's really their site. Domain registered by Cordish and everything.