OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
medleyj
Pad site
Pad site

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by medleyj »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I'm all for other districts to have the privelege, but I have an uneasy feeling about Westport being one of them.  I do think P&L lends itself better to the practice than trying to retrofit an already established area.  Although it's nice to walk around on first fridays with a beer or wine.
I'll let Westport have it as long as there's a provision in the law allowing the city to revoke the priviledge if they can't manage it. But that provision has to apply to Cordish also.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

It is an absurd law anywhere. Codifying non-criminal behavior as criminal is crime creation, not crime prevention. It's like try to stop pick-pocketting by making wallets illegal.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i drove through yesterday and they had the Bristol sign up with only 2 letters illuminated, famous daves had people in there and chipotle complete, no add that in with mcfaddens, vinino, sprint studio (my personal favorate) howl at the moon ect.  we've got something going here.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

The cable system on 14th Street has begun installation east of Main.  Looks like they're getting them up pretty quickly. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Starting March 1st, in a partnership with the KC Star, there will be a publication called "Spark!" which will be the official guide to the P&L District.  Every single Sunday paper will supposedly get an issue and they will have a "special graphic".  Hey, I'm just the messenger.

Also March 1, hopefully there will be free Wi-Fi in the district.

As for the Big 12 and how it relates to the district:
  • The parking lot at 14th and Truman will have a stage, tent and lots and lots of arcade games like Pop-A-Shots.
  • They are planning on having live jazz and blues on street corners
  • Sister Hazel will be playing a FREE concert on Friday (previously announced here)
  • Cordish is currently in negotiations with a TV station that will broadcast nightly from the district during Big 12, didn't say which
Here are some pictures I took tonight around 10:00-10:30:

In the above picture of the dumpster, there is a little office on the left with a sheet of paper taped on the door stating some opening dates which I'm sure have been announced.
Angel's and Tengo Sed 3/7, Gordon 3/10, Raglan 3/10, Chefburger 3/1. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Daddy Like!!!!

I know not everything will be open for Big 12, but it still might impress some vistors.
KC is the way to be!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

great sleuthing!
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

where is the 2nd and 3rd picture from with the odd lights?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Across from Vinino on the other side of the Live courtyard. First level...forgot what this place will be....Tengo Sed Cantina?
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Pumpkin, you missed your calling as a CIA spy/secret agent. Glad its being put to good use for us downtown. Great info/pictures.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Downtowner wrote: Pumpkin, you missed your calling as a CIA spy/secret agent. Glad its being put to good use for us downtown. Great info/pictures.

:-$  The pictures are kinda blurry.  Getting around is much easier when it's 10 degrees and you're the only one stupid enough to go out and walk around!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Ate at Famous Dave's last nite.  It  was a fundraiser sneak preview.  Doggone it I liked much of the food, even though I was determined to hate it.  Great burnt ends/pulled pork.  Very decent brisket.  Well prepared pork ribs.  I didn't care for the chicken wings, but everyone else seemed to really like them.  Baked beans were lame.  Didn't try the cornbread muffins, but people were really taken with them.

Taint Bryants/LC's but it's the best chain Q I have had.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

famous daves is actually pretty tasty.  a lot of people look down their nose at it becuase it's a chain bbq place from minnesotta, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of putting a tasty product on a plate.  it's not the same as bryant's, gates, or any of the other local places but it's not supposed to be.  it's alright to like chain food as long as it actually does taste good.

now the chili's of the world - that food does suck, even for chain food it sucks.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i think kansas citians, people from memphis, carolinas, and texas are determined to hate famous daves. just like people from south beach think joes crab shack is a fucking joke, but beyond those with the superior product in their backyard, no one cares. they will still eat it. funny thing, one of the best barbecue chefs in the world hails from the barbecue "capital" of minnesotta. boster and his roaster.

anywho.......they just ventured into the pittsburgh market a few months back, and i went and tried it for the first time. not bad. bryants, gates, or fiorellas, hell no. but not too bad either. but the difference between you guys and myself is there is NO BARBECUE WHATSOEVER in pennsylvania, so i am tickled pink to finally have the option of decent cue.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Famous Dave's is regularly packed in Manhattan, of course, we don't have the options like Kansas Citians do
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Where is the Famous Daves in Manhattan?  Times Square area?
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Seth Childs Commons, behind the Target
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Mhudson wrote: Seth Childs Commons, behind the Target
Huh?

Target has some urban locations, I have been in them, but I don't recall one in Manhattan, Queens or LI maybe, but not in the city.

Are you talking about Manhattan Kansas?  My bad. :).

When somebody says Manhattan, I think NYC not Kansas and then your screen name has hudson in it.... :)

I'm just as surprised that a small town like that has a Famous Dave too though.  Seems odd.   I don't know much about them but they seem to have some high profile locations.

I googled Seth Childs Commons so now I'm following you.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Haha, I thought about putting Kansas after typing Manhattan but figured it was a KC board, and Manhattan was close enough!  But yeah, its a nicer place, good for Manhattan (KS)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Apparently Bice and KCTV5 use the same geographically challenged website designer.  According to their new opening page, Bice thinks they are opening in Kansas City, Michigan.  Michigan will be surprised, and lucky.

http://www.bice.ws/BICE.html
They fixed it, it now says MO in al its glory.  Sorry MI, your loss.