OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The KC Star says that the city wants to save the Empire Theater and make it part of the project. Cordish Co. says that the President won't interfere with the entertainment district and that the city can do whatever they decide with the hotel.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

From what I read in the paper, and seen in another Cordish Development in Baltimore, it is a mix of things that appeal to both tourists (conventioneers/sports) and locals. That would be ideal. We have a good amount of housing going in from crown center to the river, so it needs to appeal to these folks also. Kansas City has a fairly decent convention business, but not enough "tourist" activity to have a develoment that only appeals to that segment. Between the PAC, the expanded Bartle, H&R Block, and the entertainment district, the loop is on the verge of exploding. This is so cool!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The council just voted the ordinance in -- the entire council co-sponsored. Here comes Kansas City.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

what ordinance? :)
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

having worked on the P&L campaign, i will believe it when i see it--still a little gun shy, but i think this time its going to happen. just have to wait and see......
"ALWAYS be closing"
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

I heard a rumor that the Mayor was running around with a weather balloon loaded with the ashes of Durwood to be released with 7 pigeons and 4 crows.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

???
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I think with just the look of that one rendering of H&Rs HQ downtown will look like times square on a smaller scale (i've been there ya know ;))
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Good- I can't believe you just wrote that!! Tacky and tasteless...but funny as hell.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

"Tacky and tasteless"
hey i am comparing this development with times square. have you even been there? they have these things on buildings the size of One Kansas City Place. But in KC they will be on 2-3 floor buildings.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^ devin he was referring to good2great's tacky and tasteless comment about Durwood. dont trip, son.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

hahaha ok thanks ;)
Well, this is like the plaza only all being built at one time.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

So where is the freakin' arena plan? We're closing in on a year after Barnes's own deadline for making the plan public. At some point soon we are going to pass the point of due diligence and careful planning and move into lost opportunity.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

damn Danger...all this good news and holding her feet to the fire 24 hours in....I LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, where the hell is it? Yeah we pulled the biggest coup in downtown history but we want MORE BABY!!!!!!!

Give me my 19,000 seat arena!!!!
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They will get it done, it will probably come to vote sometime this year, hopefully the momentum of Downtown will help voters say yes.

StL polititions threw a big wrench in our arena plans when they wouldn't let us use MO Downtown Eco act to help built it. Sometimes I wish KC could kill thier ballpark just to send a message.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

BTW, looking at KC calling his shot. I made this months ago. Pretty damn good if you ask me:

http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Since ESPN Zone is possible here is what we might get :)
I've been to the one in Washington DC and I have to say... This would be a big huge gain for the entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

My wish list:
Giant mulit-level media store
My first choice would be a flagship Streetside with an unbelievable design (Jazz department in a mini 18th and Vine area, vinyl in a dingy basement, mini stage in the middle for concerts and record signings). This " dream store" would be entertaining just walking hrough the door. Because this would cost 10s of millions of dollars, the most realistic options for a giant media store would be Virgin, HMV, or a flagship FYE.

Niketown
This would be very hard to land as they seem extremely exclusive. I'm surprised they even came to Denver. It could happen, but I'm sure it would take a lot of lobbying to bring them into the fold.

ESPN Zone
This would be another big one that would be hard to land. But Nike and ESPN would probably follow one after another.

House of Blues
As mentioned before, House of Blues would look nice and fit well in the Empire. A real music venue in the district with the clout of HoB would surely bring locals there on a consistent basis.

AMC 18 Flagship
OK, I know it would be weird to have AMC attached because of past history, but they are a huge entertainment company based in KC. This theater should be AMC's prototype theater complex where they can test new concepts and programs before they go nation-wide. This would mean that this theater would always be a work in progress and an opportunity for theater-goers to experience the cutting-edge of theaters.

Slew of eateries and bars
Include a variety of different chains including Buca di Beppo, Hooters, Houlihan's, California Pizza Kitchen, Rockfish Seafood Grill, Chuck E. Cheese's(preferably on upper level-- not next to any bars), Ben and Jerry's, Fat Tuesday, etc. I know these places can be mindless, but they offer a recognizable place to eat (and drink). Also include George Brett Grill II and a signature Boulevard Brew Pub.

Jillian's
Like an amusement park for adults. Tons of different stuff to do under one roof.

ESPN X Games Skatepark
I know this would be hard to pull off because of its size, but let's remember that the South Loop is bunch of parking lots!!! I would like to see this project put on an upper level so it wouldn't eat up any street level retail. This would help round the district by providing an attraction for teens. With only 5 total skateparks and because 3 are in StL, Dallas and Denver...Kansas City seems like the next logical step.

I know this is a lot of stuff and some pretty big names, but I think this is what the entertainment portion of KC Live should be to make people see downtown is truly for real now.
Last edited by trailerkid on Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Could you imagine watching a KU-MU basketball game from a new downtown ESPN Zone? The roof would probably blow off. I'm getting excited.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

bump