The Jones Ultra Pool

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: The Jones Ultra Pool

Post by KCPowercat »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Duh.
So R.I. cares if people are outside oversloshed at 3pm but if it's 3am it's cool?  that makes a lot of sense.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: So R.I. cares if people are outside oversloshed at 3pm but if it's 3am it's cool?  that makes a lot of sense.
By all accounts RI is way too preoccupied squeezing every bar in the xroads and midtown that isn't paying rent to Cordish to be the least bit concerned by a pile of bikini-clad, puke-covered, bodies laying around outside P&L regardless of the time of day. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As it should be.

Honestly...you really believe that R.I. has been given an order to squeeze all other bars to OBEY THE LAW in order to drive business to the P&L.  Who is giving this order?  funk?  Cauthen?  GOD?

Let's just take that huge jump and go with this theory...Are you suddenly visiting the P&L more if Grinders gets shutdown for 2 days?  If those bars followed the law, what would they be shut down for? 

This is kinda like complaining when your favorite restaurant gets closed for health code violations or not paying rent.

Why hasn't Willie's/JP/Zoo/Nara/Quaff went down?  They definitely provide a close in location competitor to the district?

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCPowercat wrote: So R.I. cares if people are outside oversloshed at 3pm but if it's 3am it's cool?  that makes a lot of sense.
I don't know if they care but they should and it matters. There's a huge difference between someone throwing up outside a bar at 3am when the only people around are drunk and someone throwing up in a grocery store lobby with people trying to get grocery shopping done.

Honestly, I find drunks wandering the streets at night hilarious. When I'm going to get groceries, it pisses me off.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Honestly...you really believe that R.I. has been given an order to squeeze all other bars to OBEY THE LAW in order to drive business to the P&L.  Who is giving this order?  funk?  Cauthen?  GOD?
God knows KC City Hall has earned such a reputation that they should be completely above raproach when it comes to suggestions of cronyisim, self-dealing, and outright corruption.  &&&&&&&   We all know that decades of squeeky clean governance have proven that those sorts of things could never ever happen in the KC City Hall and any suggetstion that this could be going on should be dismissed out of hand as the wild ramblings of conspiracy theorists right up there with the faux-moon landing crazies.  &&&&&

For Christ's sake this is KC City Hall we are talking about here - history would tend to show that we should probably assume that every employee in the building probably has some sort of innapropriate relationship with downtown development powers that be.  And even if no money ever actually changed hands and no orders ever came down from on high, is it really all that implausible to you that certain elelments in city hall might well have taken it upon themselves to do "everything they can to help out" with the city's #1 project?
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Way to really address the questions....so nobody gives the orders, it's just understood?  Are they making these bars break the law?  Why aren't some of the favorites bordering the P&L not getting shut down?  Inquiring minds NEED to know how deep this runs.

bigchuck....lol.  Don't think the laws fluctuate based on time of day (other than opening/closing hours).  If this does become common I am all for making changes...but don't rely on R.I....they don't do it anywhere else...

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: "sorostitutes"
thanks for reminding me this word exists. i love it!
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCPowercat wrote: bigchuck....lol.  Don't think the laws fluctuate based on time of day (other than opening/closing hours).  If this does become common I am all for making changes...but don't rely on R.I....they don't do it anywhere else...
The laws don't change but the number of complaints certainly do.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I've only been to the Jones for a private event, but I think it's a very cool venue and a great addition to downtown.  I wouldn't mind hitting there on a Friday/Saturday night, but haven't made it yet.  I guess I don't understand all the complaints about the pool size.  I thought it was the appropriate size.  It's not really a public pool.  The pool is just there for ambiance and for people to cool off.  It was never intended for people to swim in it.  Anyway, I loved the views from up there and that the park seemed cool as well. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chriz...I have to disagree with a statement you made earlier....before p&l all this city had was dive, low key bars (minus blonde).  We aren't hurting in that category at all in my opinion....why do you think p&l IS so popular?  Because it is offering options that previously weren't available.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

(TK/other bars smack talk moved to the "TK trashes your hangouts!" thread in KC Scene)
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

good idea.  I forgot we had a whole thread dedicated to him...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not to dig this up but saw this sign today at the store...seems they are good with jones patrons...doesn't even say 'dont puke'

ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i more see that sign as a friendly way of saying "hey! remember to cover up..."

but you're right, it doesn't say don't puke. maybe i'll vomit on the floor next time i need to pick up some groceries..
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Obviously that's the purpose of the sign

ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

i guess what i mean is, i have a feeling the jones pool people are probably more of an annoyance than welcome guests. There's no "Accountants welcome" sign for people from H&R Block. Any time you have to remind people to wear clothes, it's probably not a guest you're excited to see.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

ColumbusParkian wrote:Any time you have to remind people to wear clothes, it's probably not a guest you're excited to see.
Uhhh...well, I don't know about you...  :P
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i guess what i mean is, i have a feeling the jones pool people are probably more of an annoyance than welcome guests. There's no "Accountants welcome" sign for people from H&R Block. Any time you have to remind people to wear clothes, it's probably not a guest you're excited to see.
Luckily I don't think Constantino's takes that approach....to think of customers as annoyances....but we are well aware of your position on anybody who thinks to darken the door of Jones.

ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

For the record, i'm against any person vomiting all over Consentinos. It's just coincidental that the guilty parties all seem to be coming from The Jones.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ColumbusParkian wrote: For the record, i'm against any person vomiting all over Consentinos. It's just coincidental that the guilty parties all seem to be coming from The Jones.
since i walk through P+L to and from work every day, i can tell you that cordish is not keeping an eye on the cleanliness of main street. they powerwash the area in and around the live block (lots of cooties, to be sure) on a weekly basis or more. i didn't walk down main today, but i'm pretty sure that dried vomit outside of the entrance to jones is still there after, what, two weeks?