The Jones Ultra Pool

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Jones Ultra Pool

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote: Man this is going to freak people out....people that like the Jones AND Grinders....are these people tools/douches/sluts or are they cool hipsters? 

http://twitter.com/#search?q=jones%20grinders
You and your twitter accounts..  :P
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I just wanted to point out that show on tru tv. Of course I had to contribute to the judgement of the clientele and get involved in some sort of debate. Fuck that place, fuck that crowd, fuck people who look to paris hilton for inspiration, im out.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I was walking out of Consentinos today, back by the garage. a girl in a swimsuit was passed out on the floor by the elevator next to a cop and a pile of puke.

I go up a flight of stairs and out to Main street. Almost step in ANOTHER pile of vomit.

I hate Jones Pool.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

close it down....I have never witnessed puke outside of another bar....disgusting how these 'people' are coming downtown.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

do i sense some sarcasm??????

i manage a popular bar myself. I understand that puke is an ugly reality. I also understand that for somebody to be passed out in their own vomit in the middle of the afternoon means that the staff has little or no concern about over-serving their guests. I would also suggest that people passed out in their own vomit directly outside the entrance to the grocery store might lower their stock a bit.

I ask you this, why is it okay for the Jones Pool to negatively affect the business environment for Consentinos, which I would argue brings a lot more money downtown and serves a significantly larger community?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So jones is hurting the grocery now?  Does this work for westport bars hurting hen house?  Falloon hurting plaza shops?  Lews hurting cvs?  Westside local hurting bluebird?

Hey bad deal that chick drank too much and got out of control....blaming the bar and claiming they are irresponsible?  A bit of a leap.

Definitely different with more day drinking than normally seen around kc....but I don't see the bar hurting the grocery one bit.

Obviously some have it out for this bar and its crowd....get over it.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote: I was walking out of Consentinos today, back by the garage. a girl in a swimsuit was passed out on the floor by the elevator next to a cop and a pile of puke.

I go up a flight of stairs and out to Main street. Almost step in ANOTHER pile of vomit.

I hate Jones Pool.
move back to the suburbs and you won't have to worry about it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not the answer.  Puke can happen there too.

Maybe more toleration is a better answer?  C.p. Stated they knew puke was a known piece of the bar scene.....maybe just uncomfortable with the day drinking aspect?

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Not the answer.  Puke can happen there too.

Maybe more toleration is a better answer?  C.p. Stated they knew puke was a known piece of the bar scene.....maybe just uncomfortable with the day drinking aspect?
let me correct myself.  move to zona rosa and you won't have to worry about it.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

i've lived and worked in the city for the past 5 years, ever since i've moved to KC.  I have no problem with the city.

I know that in my bar, our staff takes active measures to ensure that people don't get so drunk that they're passing out outside the door. it's called cutting people off, and it's a basic responsible business practice, simple enough.

I think by this point, the defenders of this bar are doing it just as blindly as they're claiming the detractors are bashing it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So do those other bars negatively impact those businesses?

Blindly?  Is this a joke?  I would guess that those here using words like hate and degratory terms towards its patrons have never been there....defending?  All I have ever said is have an open mind....its not your scene?  Fine, don't go...but the only blind emotion I see here are those judging entire bars by an incident that plays out in front of most bars...the difference is it doesn happen at 3pm....heat + booze I am sure has its effect on those not used to it and if this does become common maybe the bars should look to do more to get water in people, etc.....but nobody here is blindly defending anything...heck how do you defend against stereotypes?  Hate is the only blind emotion I see.

Again...not your scene?  Fine, I get that.  The zoo, brick, etc probably aren't mine...I don't go there..but I also don't make comments of hating the bar and making derogatory comments towards their patrons.

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

It could also be people not quite used to drinking and being in the heat all day and possibly not eating anything despite having a nice grocery store downstairs with good options.  Heat can accelerate drunkeness if you're not used to it.  People need to also know their limits and what their body is telling them. It kills me when people decide not to eat anything and go out drinking, no matter what time of day.  Silly kids.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Take more amphetamines and you won't pass out!!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I think the problem is that with the Jones it's not just happening outside their doors. It's essentially happening inside the lobby of other businesses.

I have first hand experience with what it is like to have to immediately kick people out of my business for coming in way too intoxicated. I also have first hand experience with mopping up their puke and apologizing to everybody else in the bar for the sight and smell of it. I accept it as the cost of doing business, but i work at a bar. Not a grocery store. I feel pretty awful for whoever at Consentinos has to address the situation.

But maybe i'm just being an a-hole. who knows...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is one of the factors with a mixed use development.  I am also sure jones/cordish works closely with the grocer to handle issues....

But really this isn't your issue...you have stated you hate jones as have others....do you really only hate it because of what you think its doing to the grocery's business?  Riiight.  You don't like the 'people' you have stereotyped that go there and have thrown the entire bar and those who may like it into one big stereotype you hate.

Not going to apologize for liking a roof pool that serves drinks and music downtown...just like others don't apologize for liking other bars that can/do cause incidents to surrounding businesses....nor should they.

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I can say that I've been up there to take a look and they gave me a free complimentary pass to try them out and its a very nice venue, though I wish the pool were 30% larger and about 2 ft deeper.  I also took a friend there to look at it that is from Boston and he was amazed at what we have going on in the P&L/Downtown area.  In fact, I've run into many people from out of town that are surprised that we have such an exuberant district despite the lack of retail.  People staying downtown certainly appreciate it and it gives us a better national/regional outlook. 
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

you're right. that's not the only reason i hate the jones. but i don't see you or i changing each other's opinion any time soon regardless of how many points or counterpoints we both make.

I had high hopes for the place when it was announced. I just really don't care for the execution.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

:puke:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What don't you like about the execution?  How did you see a pool and bar working that they aren't doing?

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I was there Saturday evening for the first time for a couple hours and I thought it was pretty cool.  Definitely work checking out, if just for the eye candy  :D
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!