Cordish sues Bice Bistro

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Cordish sues Bice Bistro

Post by KC Sporting Life »

KCMax wrote: One Nineteen in Leawood.

Can anyone confirm this?  I haven't heard anything about it and I didn't think there were any vacant spaces in that development. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Can anyone confirm this?  I haven't heard anything about it and I didn't think there were any vacant spaces in that development. 
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/29/18 ... diner.html
?Southwest Boulevard?s La Bodega is in negotiations to open a location in Leawood?s One Nineteen at the southeast corner of 119th Street and Roe Avenue.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Would they be going into the space D&D was supposed to?  Seems like a stretch, but I think that is all that is open right now? 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Perhaps the Jp Wine Bar space?  They're struggling, while everyone else out there is killing it.  Also, Jp's is a tapas concept, not likely that they would both exist in the same development?
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I thought I heard that JPs shut down, or maybe talking about shutting down.  Or did I dream that?  Would make sense.......
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

With their multitude of legal problems, that rumor has been circulating for some time.  But it's also pretty clear that they haven't been performing at the 119 space the way the Crossroads location did.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

It's really too bad JPs didn't fly in that space, I love the one in the Crossroads. 
KSJayhawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KSJayhawk »

I'm always in that area and JP's is usually pretty packed.  A few times I have been there, we decided to leave because we couldn't find a good seat.

There still are a lot of retail spaces availble in this development, but I don't think any of them would be a right fit for a restaurant, except for the stand alone building that was meant for dean & delluca....unless of course the rumers you heard about JP are true....
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Watching Check Please...

What about Pachamama's in place of Bice? They have a tapas menu in their star bar in addition to their fine dining. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: Watching Check Please...

What about Pachamama's in place of Bice? They have a tapas menu in their star bar in addition to their fine dining.   

a good idea, but do they seem compelled to expand? i've been there a few times and it's a very welcome addition to what used to be a wasteland for quality dining when i lived there.

of all the ideas presented here, i really like the idea of jasper's. it's super local, is a close stand-in for what bice was trying to be, and isn't too "fancy" for the P+L crowd.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: of all the ideas presented here, i really like the idea of jasper's. it's super local, is a close stand-in for what bice was trying to be, and isn't too "fancy" for the P+L crowd.
Jaspers would be a homerun for the district.  It's got the reputation that would make it a destination for anyone in the metro.  The Mirabile family has never gone into high rent districts though and have kind of prefered much more subdued locations in south KC. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote: The Mirabile family has never gone into high rent districts though and have kind of prefered much more subdued locations in south KC. 
As I recollect that family made a fortune when they sold their property to the drug store at 75th and Wornall.  They used the funds to buy their place at Watts Mill.  Expansion didn't seem to interest them since that leads to quality control issues they don't want to experience.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

it's not like what Jasper's is doing is The Fat Duck. they don't even have table cloths. couldn't be that hard to get something similar going downtown. my suggestion would be a fine dining counterpart to their Watts Mill location as I understand that was the original Jasper's in Waldo. i heard cheesy Jasper's commercials on 610 so their business model surely isn't THAT subdued.

restaurant build-outs are $$$ so i'm assuming Cordish won't have much trouble finding a suitor for Bice. let's just hope that pick something that actually adds something to the mix.
DaveKCMO wrote:
a good idea, but do they seem compelled to expand? i've been there a few times and it's a very welcome addition to what used to be a wasteland for quality dining when i lived there.

of all the ideas presented here, i really like the idea of jasper's. it's super local, is a close stand-in for what bice was trying to be, and isn't too "fancy" for the P+L crowd.
:lol:

Downtown L has gotten better in the last year in terms of eats (burger stand, esquina, 715) in addition to some other, decent, established spots (teller's, wa, pachamama's, genovese, cafe beautiful). what we really lack is good, cheap, ethnic food + sandwiches. i'd say Downtown L holds its own in terms of dining against almost any 'hood in KC proper.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I take it the Bice space is still empty?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes....not touched...last week the lights were still on confusing people.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

It is really too bad that one of the best patios in Kansas City and in particular the P&L sits vacant during the prime summer months. Cordish has really dropped the ball by not getting a tenant in here sooner. This SHOULD be the time when a restaurant in that space does it's best business.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

Rumor has it Re-Verse will be taking over this space when they get booted from the Plaza. Would be great if true.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

TfromKC wrote: Rumor has it Re-Verse will be taking over this space when they get booted from the Plaza. Would be great if true.
Does Re-Verse have food?  Only partially joking, but it would be nice to have a local place... 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

TfromKC wrote: Rumor has it Re-Verse will be taking over this space when they get booted from the Plaza. Would be great if true.
wouldn't re-verse be a bit too much of a competitor for the Cordish nightlife venues?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't really see anything in the P&L inventory that would be competing with ReVerse....it's actually the one area I think P&L lacks in nightlife....

Would be an awesome addition.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc