Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1953
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCRAG has been making my brain melt lately.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by WoodDraw »

This topic is getting a little racisty for my tastes.

Perhaps a moderator could split this conversation into a new thread and allow the ones who wish to focus on this their own place to debate it.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:26 pm
If you're using the term "black on black crime" you're not a moderate.

What you're describing is poor on poor crime. Same crime you get with the crackers over on Hardesty.
I’m just using the term because that’s how the FBI brakes down the stats. Of course I’m not saying this is “black peoples fault”. There’s no denying the role white people and this country’s history of oppression of POC. It’s very much to do with poverty.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:27 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:23 pm
They suspected the person they arrested of vandalism. He was detailed, questioned and released, all within a few hours time. Not sure why any protestor is out past 2am anyway.
That’s not a federal crime, why are federal troops doing that? Where they invited by the state?
Spray painting a federal building is in fact a federal crime.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:23 am
This topic is getting a little racisty for my tastes.

Perhaps a moderator could split this conversation into a new thread and allow the ones who wish to focus on this their own place to debate it.
I’d love to know what you think has been even a bit racist. Before you make assumptions maybe you need to stop and think you don’t even know my race.

This happens anytime a serious debate takes place. Someone labels it racist when facts are mentioned. It’s why the issues never get resolved, because half the country is too afraid to talk facts.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6514
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by earthling »

While maybe not hatefully racist it is racially insensitive or shows lack of acknowledgment for broader racial/social issues when 'black on black' crime is brought up depending on the context and the context you bought it up was... off. Same goes for the 'all lives matter' response to BLM. Even worse is the 'I can't breathe' tagline that mask haters have used in a mean-spirited manner, completely insensitive given the seriousness of the situation behind George Floyd's death (and many others with similar situation) - literally a thoughtless lack of acknowledgment for what's going on.

BTW, while BLM maybe not the best slogan, the ALM response shows complete disregard for the real issues at hand and downplaying it is a form of racial insensitivity if not maybe worse than that. I do think BLM organizers/proponents need a better representing slogan to the cause, which would at least take the ALM response out of the equation.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:13 am
While maybe not hatefully racist it is racially insensitive or shows lack of acknowledgment for broader racial/social issues when 'black on black' crime is brought up depending on the context and the context you bought it up was... off. Same goes for the 'all lives matter' response to BLM. Even worse is the 'I can't breathe' tagline that mask haters are using, completely insensitive given the seriousness of the situation behind George Floyd's death (and many others with similar situation) - literally a thoughtless lack of acknowledgment for what's going on.

BTW, while BLM maybe not the best tagline, the ALM response shows complete disregard for the real issues at hand and downplaying it is a form of racial insensitivity if not maybe worse than that. I do think BLM organizers/proponents need a better representing slogan to the cause, which would at least take the ALM response out of the equation.
I brought it up because I wish there was more energy put towards that. Imagine the impact all these protests could have if they focused on the largest portion of black lives being lost to gun violence. If bringing up facts when discussing protests is insensitive, I’m ok with that because this dancing around and worrying about everyone’s feelings isn’t helping solve the issue. I’m tired of lives being lost over nothing and tired of seeing little kids gunned down. I’m also tired of police murdering unarmed citizens as well. I’ve had two friends murdered in this city over the last 3 years and both cases remain unsolved. One of those friends was a gay black man who was simply sitting on a bench in Westport. One of the nicest human beings I’ve ever met. So I’m more concerned about how 99% of gun victims die.

We all are going to have to get insensitive as a society at some point. That’s not meaning to say disrespectful. I can talk about black on black crime but that doesn’t mean I’m ignoring why it’s so bad and the unfair historical treatment of POC. There’s nothing more I hate than a racist or anyone who feels superior because of their skin color.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

Also.... I know this thread has gone sideways a bit but wanted to mention I’ve participated in about a dozen community forums, podcasts and group conversations with the majority of the participants being POC. I was invited to all of these and haven’t had a negative experience. I’ve noticed the white participants are more likely to be offended by real hard truths than black participants. Kind of a trend these days with white people suddenly all about racial equality despite never taking the time to speak to a POC.

User avatar
wahoowa
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by wahoowa »

my "My POC Podcast Co-Host Agrees I Am Not Racist" tshirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my tshirt

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 am
WoodDraw wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:23 am
This topic is getting a little racisty for my tastes.

Perhaps a moderator could split this conversation into a new thread and allow the ones who wish to focus on this their own place to debate it.
I’d love to know what you think has been even a bit racist. Before you make assumptions maybe you need to stop and think you don’t even know my race.

This happens anytime a serious debate takes place. Someone labels it racist when facts are mentioned. It’s why the issues never get resolved, because half the country is too afraid to talk facts.
I didn't mention you or anyone. And I have no interest in debating this. I just asked if a moderator could remove the conversation from a thread about a grocery store.

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6658
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by shinatoo »

Unchecked black on black violence is a symptom of police brutality. A community does not trust a police force that treats them as the enemy, rendering them ineffective.

Protesting police brutality is protesting black on black violence.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4190
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by grovester »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

User avatar
im2kull
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by im2kull »

Just curious what ya'lls stance on slavery in Africa is. It's still very commonly practiced in Niger and the rest of the Sahara desert region. People literally walking around in chains and being sold as servants. I'm guessing nobody even realizes that slavery (Actual, legitimate slavery.. not just hurt feelings and claims of oppression) is still a thing...?

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:27 pm
Unchecked black on black violence is a symptom of police brutality. A community does not trust a police force that treats them as the enemy, rendering them ineffective.

Protesting police brutality is protesting black on black violence.
I respect that take.

User avatar
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6956
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:17 am
Location: River Market
Contact:

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by staubio »

shinatoo wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:27 pm
Unchecked black on black violence is a symptom of police brutality. A community does not trust a police force that treats them as the enemy, rendering them ineffective.

Protesting police brutality is protesting black on black violence.
You single-handedly fixed the thread.

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6658
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by shinatoo »

staubio wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 am
shinatoo wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:27 pm
Unchecked black on black violence is a symptom of police brutality. A community does not trust a police force that treats them as the enemy, rendering them ineffective.

Protesting police brutality is protesting black on black violence.
You single-handedly fixed the thread.
Well hold my beer. :D :D :D

Many people think that trust cannot be reestablished with the police force in any reasonable amount of time which is why many want a alternative to the police force to take action in these communities. That is why the Defund the Police movement exist. They don't want lawlessness, they already have that. They want a new kind of law enforcement, funded with the money they think is being wasted on the police force right now.

Just my two cents.

Also, as an aside, I'm want to get away from using them/they when I talk about the black community in Kansas City. We are all part of the same city. The black community is not a separately organized entity, it's a sub culture of our greater city. What we do, who we help, who we hurt, effects all of us. We need to stop thinking of these issues as a black problem and start thinking of them as our problem.

It is a struggle though because if I say "We want a new kind of law enforcement" it sounds like I’m saying I am part of the African American community. I am not. But by "we" I mean this city, collectively, should want something better for our communities that are under, or poorly, served.


I haven't figured it out, but i'm trying. I'm also rambling, so I'll stop.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 pm
staubio wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 am
shinatoo wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:27 pm
Unchecked black on black violence is a symptom of police brutality. A community does not trust a police force that treats them as the enemy, rendering them ineffective.

Protesting police brutality is protesting black on black violence.
You single-handedly fixed the thread.
Well hold my beer. :D :D :D

Many people think that trust cannot be reestablished with the police force in any reasonable amount of time which is why many want a alternative to the police force to take action in these communities. That is why the Defund the Police movement exist. They don't want lawlessness, they already have that. They want a new kind of law enforcement, funded with the money they think is being wasted on the police force right now.

Just my two cents.

Also, as an aside, I'm want to get away from using them/they when I talk about the black community in Kansas City. We are all part of the same city. The black community is not a separately organized entity, it's a sub culture of our greater city. What we do, who we help, who we hurt, effects all of us. We need to stop thinking of these issues as a black problem and start thinking of them as our problem.

It is a struggle though because if I say "We want a new kind of law enforcement" it sounds like I’m saying I am part of the African American community. I am not. But by "we" I mean this city, collectively, should want something better for our communities that are under, or poorly, served.


I haven't figured it out, but i'm trying. I'm also rambling, so I'll stop.
Good point and while I disagree that less police will help, I do think more relationship building needs to be done between the black neighborhoods and the police. That's not the only issue, one of the biggest issues is the fact eye witnesses are terrified to talk to the police. Similar to how police protect each other, sometimes protecting a bad/guilty cop.

You have some republicans claiming that crime has skyrocketed in cities that have pushed the "defund the police" movement as a result of actually defunding the police. In reality, that movement likely has zero to do with the increase in crime and Covid along with the George Floyd situation is the real cause.

The We/They thing is hard and in my experience, people who say "we" that are white will usually pay the price. Catch 22 if you will.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:30 pm
my "My POC Podcast Co-Host Agrees I Am Not Racist" tshirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my tshirt
One podcast hosted by two black men and over 11 in person community forums. What have you done for the cause? I'm active in this area and often discuss this topic on my own podcast with people of all races including some household names. I haven't said anything in this forum that I haven't said and discussed in person with POC.

User avatar
WSPanic
Supporter
Posts: 3807
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by WSPanic »

DColeKC wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm
wahoowa wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:30 pm
my "My POC Podcast Co-Host Agrees I Am Not Racist" tshirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my tshirt
One podcast hosted by two black men and over 11 in person community forums. What have you done for the cause? I'm active in this area and often discuss this topic on my own podcast with people of all races including some household names. I haven't said anything in this forum that I haven't said and discussed in person with POC.
TWO BLACK MEN????!?!!?!??1111!! OMG!

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by DColeKC »

WSPanic wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm
wahoowa wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:30 pm
my "My POC Podcast Co-Host Agrees I Am Not Racist" tshirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my tshirt
One podcast hosted by two black men and over 11 in person community forums. What have you done for the cause? I'm active in this area and often discuss this topic on my own podcast with people of all races including some household names. I haven't said anything in this forum that I haven't said and discussed in person with POC.
TWO BLACK MEN????!?!!?!??1111!! OMG!
These insults are helpful! Thank you for discrediting my efforts to actually gain knowledge and involve myself in the situation as opposed to simply being a keyboard warrior.

I was invited on that podcast and the first attempt to insult me with the t-shirt comment incorrectly implied I was a co-host with a POC.

It's funny, I mention these things because people try to portray my comments as insensitive or racist. People who have very likely never participated in these conversations outside of the protected internet forum world. Do the few of you being rude have anything to contribute to the conversation or just want to make false accusations?

Post Reply