Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by Sportster »

Had an appointment w/ Jamie Cosentino last week. He indicated then, due to KANSAS CITY'S codes and permit process, the store will be open "after the first of the year". Which led to the discussion of how difficult it is to not only open a business within the city limits, but also to run a business in the city limits of Kansas City.

Sportster
...hopefully worth the wait
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

As far as I can tell, the only thing that has opened "as scheduled" so far is the Sprint Center.  Everything else has had significant delays.  Not sure who to blame here, as I assume delays are part of development, but its getting a little tired. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Tons of projects are delayed.  It seems like you need an event or anniversary type deadline to really get the team motivated so they finish on time.  It's not a KC thing...trust me.  They should tell the construction team their deadline then set the grand opening date to about 3 months later.  That way maybe it would open 'on time.'
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Dunn too busy screwing around with making sure they pull all their crews, equipment, and signage off the West Edge to be bothered working on other projects?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I'd be interested to know how much of the delay is related to the credit crunch -- maybe problems buying building materials and wholesale groceries?
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

From what I heard, they were REALLY rushing and struggling to get it open by the November 1 date, so they could be open before the holidays.  I was told that in the grocery business, the holidays account for 25% of their yearly revenue.  So if they couldn't get it open at least a few weeks before Thanksgiving, then they might as well wait until after the beginning of the year because it's too much to get staff in and a new store up and running during the busiest time of the year.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Sportster wrote: Had an appointment w/ Jamie Cosentino last week. He indicated then, due to KANSAS CITY'S codes and permit process, the store will be open "after the first of the year". Which led to the discussion of how difficult it is to not only open a business within the city limits, but also to run a business in the city limits of Kansas City.

Sportster
...hopefully worth the wait
From what I hear, the issue is Cordish. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Update - hopefully before the end of the year according to the star.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I am kind of surprised it is that far off schedule - it looked like they were already well along in installing fixtures last I went by.  I would have thought maybe they were a couple weeks off schedule - not a few months. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

maybe some permit issues for all the food preparation stations, etc?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The issue is that the grocery doesn't want to rush and half-ass open just prior to Thanksgiving.  They would much rather do it right and deliver the first rate product they promised. 
cdm2p wrote: From what I hear, the issue is Cordish. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCTigerFan wrote: The issue is that the grocery doesn't want to rush and half-ass open just prior to Thanksgiving.  They would much rather do it right and deliver the first rate product they promised. 
So why are they publicly blaming the city permitting and inspection staff?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

meh. we've waited this long. what's another two months?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Because city permitting and inspections are a terror.  KCMO is twice as difficult as any other municipality in the metro. 
dangerboy wrote: So why are they publicly blaming the city permitting and inspection staff?
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

KCTigerFan wrote: Because city permitting and inspections are a terror.  KCMO is twice as difficult as any other municipality in the metro. 
I thought the city implemented an expedited permitting department and process specifically for P&L tenants (and later extended it to other businesses in the crossroads.)  Was this ineffective?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCTigerFan wrote: Because city permitting and inspections are a terror.  KCMO is twice as difficult as any other municipality in the metro. 
This deserves it's own thread at some point.....what in KCMO's gov't makes opening a business so difficult?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Given how many operations that Cosentino's has in KCMO I find it hard to believe that they are not familiar with the city's codes and permits processes.  It might be true that the city is the holdup but I have an inkling that the city is being used as a scapegoat.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Given how many operations that Cosentino's has in KCMO I find it hard to believe that they are not familiar with the city's codes and permits processes.  It might be true that the city is the holdup but I have an inkling that the city is being used as a scapegoat.
Especially considering that even though construction is ongoing, they still have a lot of work to do.  In other words, it it doesn't look like anyone is sitting around waiting for a building inspector.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I don't have the time or the strength for a prolonged argument on a Monday morning, but there are pervasive and systemic problems with Kansas City Missouri Permitting and Inspections.

The staff is often inconsistent, arbitrary and sometimes mean-spirited.  It's not everyone, but there is an attitude that is too often met with that makes working with them a negative disgrace.

Development professionals continuously and vocally state that the system in KCMO is the worst they have ever experienced.  There are many developers, many, who state emphatically that they will never again do anything in KCMO.

This isn't a big secret.  The development community, from the highest to the lowest, has brought the problem to the attention of city officials, both career and elected, for well over a decade.  It gets a bit better for a while, then.....?  Right now we're hearing a lot of complaints.

There are some dev pros that don't have big problems with the system.  Typically they have been around a long time, have developed relationships with city personnel, or just put up with and maneuver around obstacles.  Others, just look at it like the weather...it sucks, but what can you do about it?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Not saying the city is perfect or that it does not have some fault but for many it might be easier to throw the blame off to an entity that has a reputation instead of stating "we screwed up".
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.