Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC-wildcat wrote: Of course you have a "say."  My question is, why do you time out of your day to get on a pro-development message board for the purpose of espousing anti-development rhetoric. 

Legitimate question.  I mean kcrag has plenty of other forums in which you would be perfectly happy.  Why waste your time in the Downtown and P&L threads?  It is obvious that you haven't been DT in 20+ years and it is also quite apparent that you have no intention of returning.

?
What makes you think I am against development?  I am pro-development.  What I am against is any development that costs the taxpayers too much for the benefit given as opposed to some of you who appear to say "any" development is better no matter what it costs the taxpayer.

20+ years!!!!!  That is a laugh.  I am downtown more than you realize and I will spend more time dt when it is worthwhile to me.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I don't live downtown, but a coworker lives in the River Market. I asked her what she and her husband thought of it.  They said it was great...but they wouldn't be shopping there.  They both said the prices were too high.

I personally don't know how far out of line they are, but they said it was still worth it to them to go to their other grocery stores. I have a feeling that if they did a shopping run there, then did one at their other store they may find the total bill is not as large as they think it will be.

I'm a fan of there being a store down there and even if it were more expensive I'd shop there exclusively.  I've tried to tell them they should shop there, cause if enough people do what they are doing the store will close.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah make sure you pass on our thanks too.  Ridiculous. Let's not support someone investing downtown because soup might be five cents higher.

I am glad I don't know these people.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Ah, it's good to have your talents back on the forum!
thanks
ignatius wrote: Toss, you seem to have a habit lately of shooting after everything's closed up?  Sup?
it was only like 6:00 or 6:30. Nothing was closed up.
LenexatoKCMO wrote: "KCRag Contrarians Banquet"
Would've been great to have been a fly on the wall for that veritable Meeting of the Mindless.  8-[

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah make sure you pass on our thanks too.  Ridiculous. Let's not support someone investing downtown because soup might be five cents higher.
And how much time and gas are they going expend driving from the RM to timbuktoo in order to save that five cents a can?  Time is money folks. 
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

SWFan wrote: I don't live downtown, but a coworker lives in the River Market. I asked her what she and her husband thought of it.  They said it was great...but they wouldn't be shopping there.  They both said the prices were too high.
That's actually a fairly ridiculous statement.  The prices there are not significantly higher than, say, Hy-Vee or Price Chopper.  Not only that, they seem to have sales a lot.  I don't know if this is just a "first month open" type deal, but almost everything I bought today was on sale (yogurt, cottage cheese, triscuits, etc.  staple type stuff.)

I just don't understand where that perception comes from.  Even the prepared food isn't any more expensive than the Hen House or Sunfresh where I used to shop.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

maybe they shop at aldi and thriftway.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah make sure you pass on our thanks too.  Ridiculous. Let's not support someone investing downtown because soup might be five cents higher.

I am glad I don't know these people.
Why are you so intolerant of anyone who doesn't worship EVERYTHING downtown?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you have to kidding me? 

drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: And how much time and gas are they going expend driving from the RM to timbuktoo in order to save that five cents a can?  Time is money folks. 
I know a few people who will drive a few miles out of their way to buy gas that's $0.02 cheaper per gallon. I do not understand what motivates these folks, at all, nada. But they do exist.

Edit: By the way, I haven't found the need to do any grocery shopping anywhere else since this Cosentino's opened. I'm sure I'll end up missing some product or produce item eventually, but Cosentino's has kept me well satisfied for now!
Last edited by drumatix on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: you have to kidding me? 
Nah.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I think this just tells us that we have a huge opportunity to win the hearts and minds of current downtown residents on the joys of urban living. I think many people choose to live downtown for the charm of the neighborhood or the ambiance of the city but don't couple that with the convenience of downtown living. So many people live downtown like they would in a suburban detached home, driving to all of their destinations and back without thinking twice or realizing that there really is an alternative. From this view, it really would just come down to price, since the convenience of proximity is lost on them. That is why I'm always trying to evangelize about the convenience of finding pretty much everything in smaller City Market vendors... or just utilizing the neighborhood more.

People need to realize that the success of the businesses around them is directly related to the success of their own downtown homeownership venture. The urban sales pitch really is walkable convenience, proximity and density. There are varying degrees of sophistication downtown when it comes to this idea, which can be fairly foreign to someone not accustomed to the city, and we have to help make that lifestyle appeal to people.

Fortunately, Cosentino's really isn't a sacrafice. The quality and service are top notch and the price is competitive. Still, some will find excuses and be slow to adopt. Keep spreading the downtown living gospel, though, and we'll get there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You obviously don't get what its taken to get cosentino's to invest downtown...and we have people claiming its too expensive, when its the same prices?  This store needs residents to support it.  Downtown residents who have begged and moaned for a store...to turn your back on that store is very frustrating after what so many have done to get this to happen.

Its very hard to grasp living in lawrence I am guessing. Nobody is asking for anybody to 'worship' anything, but to drive twice as far to save 2 bucks on a grocery bill??? 

Of course, if it wasn't me saying this, you wouldn't have posted a reply...you seem to want to fight the person more than the issue at hand.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: You obviously don't get what its taken to get cosentino's to invest downtown...and we have people claiming its too expensive, when its the same prices?  This store needs residents to support it.  Downtown residents who have begged and moaned for a store...to turn your back on that store is very frustrating after what so many have done to get this to happen.

Its very hard to grasp living in lawrence I am guessing. Nobody is asking for anybody to 'worship' anything, but to drive twice as far to save 2 bucks on a grocery bill??? 

Of course, if it wasn't me saying this, you wouldn't have posted a reply...you seem to want to fight the person more than the issue at hand.

If it's only 2 bucks, then yeah, that's dumb to shop elsewhere.  I was assuming they were saving like 10 bucks or more.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The amount saved is not the point here...obviously to a point, but prices have been compared and they are not material differences.

The point is the residents need to support business that is investing in the neighborhood.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

why waste 30+ minutes, and gas, to save even $10?  (and there is no way they are saving $10, unless they are buying like $300 in groceries or unless they usually shop at Aldi). 

at the same time, not everyone feels as invested in downtown as we do.  i would imagine a lot of people just see downtown as a place to have an apartment before they buy a house in shawnee - an alternative to the plaza.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: at the same time, not everyone feels as invested in downtown as we do.  i would imagine a lot of people just see downtown as a place to have an apartment before they buy a house in shawnee - an alternative to the plaza.
I hope those people get purse snatched. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I hope those people get purse snatched. 
Says the guy who kept an aparment in Union hill for ~year just as a stopover before getting hitched and settling down out in the "burbs".   :lol:

Shorttimer!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Haha, I was waiting for it!  It's not like I couldn't wait to bail or anything!  I just wanted a place to fix up and have a workshop.  Let it be known, right here, right now.  I'll NEVER own a place south of 75th St, East of Paseo, or West of Stateline!  Core counts for something, eh? Eh?  :P
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Haha, I was waiting for it!  It's not like I couldn't wait to bail or anything!  I just wanted a place to fix up and have a workshop.  Let it be known, right here, right now.  I'll NEVER own a place south of 75th St, East of Paseo, or West of Stateline!  Core counts for something, eh? Eh?   :P
Yeah right we all know you only kept the urban bachelor pad long enough to lure in some unsuspecting lady and coerce her into a suburban life of soccer match carpooling and weekend trips to the mall.  :P