OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:26 pm There isn't much site prep right? Why the delay?
They still have to design the thing. It will also take time to negotiate with Cordish to manage garage construction as well as form a plan with the tenants in the base building.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:34 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:26 pm There isn't much site prep right? Why the delay?
They still have to design the thing. It will also take time to negotiate with Cordish to manage garage construction as well as form a plan with the tenants in the base building.
The good news is Cordish has a head start as they had explored some other plans before Strata came to be.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Any updates? I am disappointed we haven't seen renderings or leasing announcements yet.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

crazywarriorman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:54 pm Oops, here we goImage

(Lines for reference)
A close up of a few of the ground piers.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Not sure if anyone noticed this but it seems like this project was taken off of the copaken brooks site. Anyone have an update about this ?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

LCDSI wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:08 am Not sure if anyone noticed this but it seems like this project was taken off of the copaken brooks site. Anyone have an update about this ?
Tweet Kevin Collison
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Considering how it seems the Downtown KC office market seems strong, I don’t believe that this thing is dead. Maybe the plans were sold off to another developer other than Copaken. Hopefully people get answers soon.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm Considering how it seems the Downtown KC office market seems strong, I don’t believe that this thing is dead. Maybe the plans were sold off to another developer other than Copaken. Hopefully people get answers soon.
I’m honestly starting to worry we are going to be short tower cranes. They’re expensive and you’d only buy a new one if you anticipated prolonged demand. Unfortunately, our construction companies have always been conservative in their views. This could slow the development of projects like this and also make them more expensive.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm Considering how it seems the Downtown KC office market seems strong, I don’t believe that this thing is dead. Maybe the plans were sold off to another developer other than Copaken. Hopefully people get answers soon.
I’m honestly starting to worry we are going to be short tower cranes. They’re expensive and you’d only buy a new one if you anticipated prolonged demand. Unfortunately, our construction companies have always been conservative in their views. This could slow the development of projects like this and also make them more expensive.
We should have 5 tower cranes come down in the urban core this year. That will be close to enough for the 5-7 big projects starting this year.

Regardless, it probably wouldn’t be that hard to bring in cranes from STL or Omaha if need be.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:37 pm We should have 5 tower cranes come down in the urban core this year. That will be close to enough for the 5-7 big projects starting this year.

Regardless, it probably wouldn’t be that hard to bring in cranes from STL or Omaha if need be.
I think it’s a bottleneck in the construction business in Kansas City. It restricts the timing of development, is a disincentive for speculative projects and raises costs due to demand. I’d almost prefer the city provide a construction TIF for the purchase of new tower cranes for construction companies in this city. I think it would do more to incentivize development than money for individual buildings.

...and, yes, I know that there is no such thing as a “construction TIF” just didn’t know what to call it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:00 am
normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:37 pm We should have 5 tower cranes come down in the urban core this year. That will be close to enough for the 5-7 big projects starting this year.

I think it’s a bottleneck in the construction business in Kansas City. It restricts the timing of development, is a disincentive for speculative projects and raises costs due to demand. I’d almost prefer the city provide a construction TIF for the purchase of new tower cranes for construction companies in this city. I think it would do more to incentivize development than money for individual buildings.

...and, yes, I know that there is no such thing as a “construction TIF” just didn’t know what to call it.
Unless you know something the rest of us don't, I'm not following this. The area is home to many cranes already and we are in close proximity to multiple communities with cranes that we can draw from. The cranes themselves aren't that expensive.

I looked up the sale prices of tower cranes as reference:

Make Year: Price
1980's: $80k
1990's: $100k - $200k
2000's: $400k -$600k
Late 2010's: $1.1 million

Blue Hat (blue cranes downtown) owns cranes from various decades. I know a few of their crawlers are from the 90's so I wouldn't be surprised if their tower cranes are too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 pm
KC doesn't have nor will have that many tower cranes up. Five cranes is not a lot for a major metro. When the IRS was going up, Dunn had like six tower cranes on that one site alone and most of the cranes in downtown KC now are not even the typical blue Dunn cranes. They all had to be brought into town (like the children mercy cranes etc). And you are talking about three relatively small office buildings, only two of which are spec, the rest are hotels and residential, so I don't see the office market having issues unless the developers and banks in KC is still super duper conservative. Hopefully strata was not thinking they would land W&R or something.

Again, with the amount of incentives these projects are getting, you would think they would start construction immediately before somebody changes their mind. Just like 3 and 4 light. Especially since office and residential rates have gone up significantly which should made these projects quite profitable.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

LCDSI wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:08 am Not sure if anyone noticed this but it seems like this project was taken off of the copaken brooks site. Anyone have an update about this ?
The strata page was updated and republished. The leasing brochure was removed. The biggest change:
Construction is expected to commence Summer 2020 with a completion date of Summer 2022.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:43 pm
The strata page was updated and republished. The biggest change:
Construction is expected to commence Summer 2020 with a completion date of Summer 2022.
Great to see that it is back. Also nice to see a hopeful Summer start.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:43 pm
The strata page was updated and republished. The leasing brochure was removed. The biggest change:
Thanks for the update, normal things!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

There's activity happening behind the scenes, unfortunately none of it means construction starting soon.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 pm There's activity happening behind the scenes, unfortunately none of it means construction starting soon.
Can you share more? I had heard that there was some news with tenants.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 pm There's activity happening behind the scenes, unfortunately none of it means construction starting soon.
Can you share more? I had heard that there was some news with tenants.
I was told by a higher up at Copakan that they’re in a dispute with Cordish. My contacts at Cordish haven’t mentioned this and seem to act as if everything is just fine.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

"Stratakc.com" was finally registered this week.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:53 am "Stratakc.com" was finally registered this week.
Website is live now