OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by kas1 »

Cordish was originally reported to be a partner in the project. What happened to that? The only reason H&R Block still has any rights to that site at all is because Cordish agreed to an extension of the original deal.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I bitch about Copaken sitting on property and being too conservative as much as anyone, but I think 13th and Grand is a different scale of a project. And I second kas1, in wtf happened? It's been clear for awhile that HRBlock didn't have the need for that tower, so why renew and bitch now?

I don't see anything inconsistent with wanting Copaken to build out the land they're sitting on, while still wondering what's going on here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cordish didn’t agree to anything. H&R had the option to purchase an extension of their original air rights and they exercised that option. It’s no secret that Cordish and HR do not get along.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:20 am Cordish didn’t agree to anything. H&R had the option to purchase an extension of their original air rights and they exercised that option. It’s no secret that Cordish and HR do not get along.
Thanks for the clarification.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Walking around here today, I came to a solution for everyone: do a joint venture on both the strata site and 13th and Grand.

Effectively extend the district up Grand and everyone wins. Copaken and Cordish both get something.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:01 pm Walking around here today, I came to a solution for everyone: do a joint venture on both the strata site and 13th and Grand.

Effectively extend the district up Grand and everyone wins. Copaken and Cordish both get something.
I like it!

I know it's a mystery why Copaken has held out from building there for so long. I wonder if they're waiting for something like a NHL tenant or downtown ballpark? Seems like they're missing the boat honestly.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:01 pm Effectively extend the district up Grand and everyone wins. Copaken and Cordish both get something.
What does Cordish get? I don’t think they control either of those plots.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:13 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:01 pm Effectively extend the district up Grand and everyone wins. Copaken and Cordish both get something.
What does Cordish get? I don’t think they control either of those plots.
They control the retail at strata and miss losing out on the air rights or getting in a lengthy legal battle.

At 13th and Grand, they could extend the district and market one of the premier lots under their brand name and design it as they please.

I just can't believe that lot still is such a mess.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

But, Cordish doesn’t control 13th and Grand. Why would they want another developer to join their district and benefit from the brand they have created while getting no financial return? And if you are saying 13th and Grand would be transferred to Cordish for them to develop...yeah, that just would never happen.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:41 pm But, Cordish doesn’t control 13th and Grand. Why would they want another developer to join their district and benefit from the brand they have created while getting no financial return? And if you are saying 13th and Grand would be transferred to Cordish for them to develop...yeah, that just would never happen.
Well I meant it tongue and cheek. And it won't happen.

But I wasn't saying anyone would do anything for free. That's the whole idea behind a joint venture lol. Two sides both have something that the other one wants.
crazywarriorman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crazywarriorman »

I was downtown exploring today and got the chance to look over the site of where the new tower will be.

You can see that H&R Block definitely planned on building a second tower evidenced by the the large amount of concrete footings on the rooftop

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

crazywarriorman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:03 pm I was downtown exploring today and got the chance to look over the site of where the new tower will be.

You can see that H&R Block definitely planned on building a second tower evidenced by the the large amount of concrete footings on the rooftop

Your picture isn't showing for me
crazywarriorman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crazywarriorman »

Oops, here we goImage

(Lines for reference)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

crazywarriorman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:54 pm Oops, here we goImage

(Lines for reference)
There is a noticeable lack of supports on the left (north) side. I wonder if anything can be built over that side or not.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:07 pmThere is a noticeable lack of supports on the left (north) side. I wonder if anything can be built over that side or not.
Nice catch. I'd assume not.

It's fascinating to see a building's structural grid laid bare like this. You can even see the outline of the elevator shaft.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:07 pm
crazywarriorman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:54 pm Oops, here we goImage

(Lines for reference)
There is a noticeable lack of supports on the left (north) side. I wonder if anything can be built over that side or not.
I see supports continuing on the left (past where crazywarriorman drew the black line) at the same interval as the right. They are just harder to see because there are AC units next to them, but they are there.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:24 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:07 pmThere is a noticeable lack of supports on the left (north) side. I wonder if anything can be built over that side or not.
Nice catch. I'd assume not.

It's fascinating to see a building's structural grid laid bare like this. You can even see the outline of the elevator shaft.

That elevator shaft and entrance is very creepy! It was originally sealed up completely, like a tomb. There’s also a pre-made elevator pit.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New agreement would reshape KC's deal with Strata project
A revamped plan for the $94 million Strata office tower that would rework the deal between the city and H&R Block Inc. was presented Wednesday to a City Council committee.
The new agreement would keep the city's investment at $63 million, and the bonds would be privately issued but still backed by the city. In addition, the city would get all revenue from the parking garage in the new deal.

"This new master development agreement calls for the construction of a 750-space parking garage at a cost not to exceed $36 million," city documents stated. "In addition, the city will guarantee $27 million to support a 28% revenue stake in the Strata office tower itself.
https://tinyurl.com/yxnabm6h
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 pm New agreement would reshape KC's deal with Strata project
A revamped plan for the $94 million Strata office tower that would rework the deal between the city and H&R Block Inc. was presented Wednesday to a City Council committee.
The new agreement would keep the city's investment at $63 million, and the bonds would be privately issued but still backed by the city. In addition, the city would get all revenue from the parking garage in the new deal.

"This new master development agreement calls for the construction of a 750-space parking garage at a cost not to exceed $36 million," city documents stated. "In addition, the city will guarantee $27 million to support a 28% revenue stake in the Strata office tower itself.
So the project is for all intents and purposes back on track?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:14 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 pm New agreement would reshape KC's deal with Strata project

So the project is for all intents and purposes back on track?
Sounds like it to me.