OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:51 am All it's missing is the red Target logo.
One could only wish!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Maybe a local retailer could set up an Urban Target type store. Keep the profits in the local economy.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 pm Maybe a local retailer could set up an Urban Target type store. Keep the profits in the local economy.
Nah, I want a real City Target
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Funding for Strata Survey and Plat was approved by full council today

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... xyU673m%2f
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

What's the word on this project? I get the feeling that covid killed it
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mister816 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:05 pm What's the word on this project? I get the feeling that covid killed it
The city consultant was working on surveying and data collection related to the existing structures. The property has to be re-platted which I think is also a city responsibility. Rumor has always been that Copaken does not have the capacity to move forward without an anchor. As for COVID, I think this project might actually have a competitive advantage - its very small floor plates and outdoor spaces make it great for downsizing or limiting contact between employees.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Being a Copaken project, wouldn’t be shocked if it’s on hold or if they in fact do need an anchor tenant. I also won’t be shocked if it never happens and ends up back in Cordish’s hands.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With more and more WFH looking to become permanent with more companies, wouldn't be surprised if this is a dead project. A large F500 financial company that a friend works for was planning to reduce office space globally by 70% within 5 years _before_ COVID hit. They have already reduced that much permanently now as COVID drove it. Any company that has most roles that can work from a laptop is probably pursuing a larger % of employees to permanently WFH than considered before COVID. The cost savings of office space is significant even if they still maintain 30% or so office space. The best practices/tech around WFH and ideas to address lack of physical experience improve every month.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:52 pm With more and more WFH looking to become permanent with more companies, wouldn't be surprised if this is a dead project. A large F500 financial company that a friend works for was planning to reduce office space globally by 70% within 5 years _before_ COVID hit. They have already reduced that much permanently now as COVID drove it. Any company that has most roles that can work from a laptop is probably pursuing a larger % of employees to permanently WFH than considered before COVID. The cost savings of office space is significant even if they still maintain 30% or so office space. The best practices/tech around WFH and ideas to address lack of physical experience improve every month.
I think the WFH buzz is over hyped right now because of Covid. I've seen information suggesting that WFH isn't nearly as productive as we once thought it to be. I think right now, companies will look to save money on supplying physical space but may learn it costs them in employee production. Also, you run into the problem of not all people work the same. Some are more productive at home and some strive off that interoffice atmosphere and in-person socialization.

Long term, I'd guess we will end up seeing a hybrid where only upper management get their own private offices and the rest of the space is shared with employees WFH days being staggered.

If I were in charge of a larger company, I think I would push for open working space, a mixture of private and shared offices, various size conference rooms and a large auditorium style room that can house all local staff plus some. That's only because I've always thought it would be very cool to have big meetings in a theatre type setting.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Point being significant WFH momentum was occurring before COVID, the example company planning 70% office reduction before COViD (even though still growing). As the WFH tech/best practices improve every year, more and more are going towards it with or without COVID anyway. COVID is just pushing the inevitable even faster. With roles that can work from laptop anyway, so depends on the company. It's not hype in any form, it's a real legit proven cost savings approach.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:11 pm Point being significant WFH momentum was occurring before COVID, the example company planning 70% WFH before COViD. As the WFH tech/best practices improve every year, more and more are going towards it with or without COVID anyway. COVID is just pushing the inevitable even faster. With roles that can work from laptop anyway, so depends on the company. It's not hype in any form, it's a real legit proven cost savings approach.
I don't mean it's hype as in not true. I think covid has amplified the idea a bit artificially. It's obvious a major cost saver to have your employers work from home, but it's more complicated than that. Some young professionals will be turned off from a WFH position and want the office environment. I think it also is very job specific. They've found people are less efficient at doing the dull tasks at home due to distractions, but often creativity is crushed by too much structure. The next several years will be a big learning period on what types of jobs and people can work from home and be more productive.

I once heard a CEO say he doesn't care where you work, how many hours you work. He only cares if you get the job time on time and a high level. I like that guy.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

There was actually a move away from WFH before COVID hit. Executives are learning that productivity is down and innovation happens more when people collaborate in space. Of course, the bullpen style office with everyone at one big table was taking off too. Idk.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Some moved away but every company I've worked for last 15 years was investing more every year into WFH before COVID, including improving HR onboarding processes for new employees directly hired for WFH. I didn't have a dedicated desk last 8 years. There's mature industry best practices for WFH provisioning that more companies are adapting. HR/IT shops are becoming more intune to dealing with the social/collaboration issues and coming up with ways for rotating visits, tech improves every year too. COVID just broadened more roles toward WFH in more companies. Now big companies are doubling down on permanent WFH. With more corporate IT shops moving to one of the major cloud players, it also simplifies provisioning WFH employees.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I am very troubled by the idea that the costs of utilities, space, tech, etc are being transferred from the employer to the employee. We need laws that at minimum require your employer to pay for all supplies, tech, and a % of utilities+rent equal to the amount of time worked. I would personally drive for a rule that requires the above + a set % or dollar value stipend.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Back to the tower, is it a non-starter now? I was getting genuinely excited for this project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:48 pm Back to the tower, is it a non-starter now? I was getting genuinely excited for this project.
City has yet to complete their enabling work for the project. The developer publicly says they will start in 2021.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Strata popped back up on a construction leads service. Something was updated but I can't tell what. Good news that it isn't dead though.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Project mentioned in the BizJournal. The project is more defined and they want at least 50% of the space under a letter of intent/pre-leased before beginning construction.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... grand.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:18 am Project mentioned in the BizJournal. The project is more defined and they want at least 50% of the space under a letter of intent/pre-leased before beginning construction.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... grand.html
Smart. We don't need an empty building downtown right now.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Pretty good chance that W&R building will lease much of that space, essentially becoming partly a spec building, so may take a while to pre-lease Strata and 13th/Grand. As discussed in other thread, overall office demand will likely decrease but Class A demand could possibly increase under this potential scenario.

WeWork and other flex providers seem to be more resilient during COVID than general office market, so if KC companies continue to build up demand for high quality flex space, that could help spur these projects too.