OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by horizons82 »

Agreed that MG tends to do better than most about respecting pedestrians.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 pm It's frustrating because we specifically put in ordinances that if sidewalks need to be closed more than 15 days (understandable this has to happen) then alternative passage needs to be made on the same side of the street. It's actually done maybe 15% of the time since that was passed.

If a construction site wants to close a lane of traffic so they can park, fine by me. Let them pay the fee and close it. The fees for both aren't nearly high enough if you ask me.
Granted, but it's sometimes impossible to provide an alternative route. Especially when building new and dealing with 6ft of public sidewalk that literally butts up against the buildings exterior.

I agree with the above mentioned that while closures, both pedestrian and traffic are highly annoying, it's all worth it as long as development is happening.

Btw, I was in NYC and this is where I saw several pedestrian nightmares.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

This thread is also a good reminder that many of our sidewalks are too narrow to begin with.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:34 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 pm It's frustrating because we specifically put in ordinances that if sidewalks need to be closed more than 15 days (understandable this has to happen) then alternative passage needs to be made on the same side of the street. It's actually done maybe 15% of the time since that was passed.

If a construction site wants to close a lane of traffic so they can park, fine by me. Let them pay the fee and close it. The fees for both aren't nearly high enough if you ask me.
Granted, but it's sometimes impossible to provide an alternative route. Especially when building new and dealing with 6ft of public sidewalk that literally butts up against the buildings exterior.

I agree with the above mentioned that while closures, both pedestrian and traffic are highly annoying, it's all worth it as long as development is happening.

Btw, I was in NYC and this is where I saw several pedestrian nightmares.
I can get that exceptions need to be made sometimes. Not nearly the frequency kcmo let's them occur.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Can someone try making a photo shop skyline with Strata, a 17 floor WR tower at 14th, and a ~360’ 3 Light?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

How are things going with this project, didn’t they work out a deal where cordish gets something too? Are they happy with the project now? Are they going to build an office building soon?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:06 am How are things going with this project, didn’t they work out a deal where cordish gets something too? Are they happy with the project now? Are they going to build an office building soon?
Strata is happening. The latest documents that I saw (from the week of the approval) showed that there was the intent to negotiate with Cordish to be the construction manager for the parking garage. To be honest, having separate CM’s for the garage and the tower above it does not sound like a great scenario. You’d be hard pressed to convince me this isn’t being done other than to quiet Cordish.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cordish looks to add an office component to Four Light. Demand/rents are high and the potential 5 Light location isn’t viable for office.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 am
Riverite wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:06 am How are things going with this project, didn’t they work out a deal where cordish gets something too? Are they happy with the project now? Are they going to build an office building soon?
Strata is happening. The latest documents that I saw (from the week of the approval) showed that there was the intent to negotiate with Cordish to be the construction manager for the parking garage. To be honest, having separate CM’s for the garage and the tower above it does not sound like a great scenario. You’d be hard pressed to convince me this isn’t being done other than to quiet Cordish.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cordish looks to add an office component to Four Light. Demand/rents are high and the potential 5 Light location isn’t viable for office.
Cordish is managing the parking garage construction mainly because they’ve very recently built one and because it’s their tenants and property that the garage will be built on. If anyone is going to do all they can to minimize the impact to existing tenants, including pedestrian access it’s going to be Cordish.

They’ll work well with CB as at this point, it’s a positive for everyone involved.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The Garment District will be gone with Stratas construction and the retail in that block will be ammenity space for the company(ies) that will be in the building. What Cordish gets with the construction is full rent on the block from Strata at above price rents.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm The Garment District will be gone with Stratas construction and the retail in that block will be ammenity space for the company(ies) that will be in the building. What Cordish gets with the construction is full rent on the block from Strata at above price rents.
I certainly think the currently empty space could be leased by Strata but obviously Yard House isn't going anywhere. The Garment District isn't going anywhere unless the offer is just too good to turn down. Cordish is getting hundreds of younger, well paid employees who will need a place to live, so anything else on top of that is gravy!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:00 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm I certainly think the currently empty space could be leased by Strata but obviously Yard House isn't going anywhere. The Garment District isn't going anywhere unless the offer is just too good to turn down. Cordish is getting hundreds of younger, well paid employees who will need a place to live, so anything else on top of that is gravy!
A small local shop selling T-shirt’s and jewelry can’t compete with a corporate entity that wants a grand lobby entrance with high ceilings to meet clients face to face. They will pay a large price for that space and that is why Cordish is participating. Garment District will have to move, perhaps over by Rally House?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:00 pm user
I certainly think the currently empty space could be leased by Strata but obviously Yard House isn't going anywhere. The Garment District isn't going anywhere unless the offer is just too good to turn down. Cordish is getting hundreds of younger, well paid employees who will need a place to live, so anything else on top of that is gravy!
A small local shop selling T-shirt’s and jewelry can’t compete with a corporate entity that wants a grand lobby entrance with high ceilings to meet clients face to face. They will pay a large price for that space and that is why Cordish is participating. Garment District will have to move, perhaps over by Rally House?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm
So the existing unused space to install a grand lobbey isn't enough?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm
Feels like it would be weird to have a large lobby on a midblock corner like that. But who knows.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:47 pm So the existing unused space to install a grand lobbey isn't enough?
No, the unused section would just be large enough for possible up and down escalators to 2nd floor space, elevators and a guard desk. Even taking the Garment District wouldn’t make enough space for a lobby half as large as H&R Block’s, for example. I am curious what the original plan was for this building under the original design plan, which was a second tower for Block. I know Block has some steel on their building facing where the new tower would be. Did they envision a connecting walkway? I can’t think they envisioned their employees walking back and forth outside to get to a meeting in the other building.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:47 pm So the existing unused space to install a grand lobbey isn't enough?
No, the unused section would just be large enough for possible up and down escalators to 2nd floor space, elevators and a guard desk. Even taking the Garment District wouldn’t make enough space for a lobby half as large as H&R Block’s, for example. I am curious what the original plan was for this building under the original design plan, which was a second tower for Block. I know Block has some steel on their building facing where the new tower would be. Did they envision a connecting walkway? I can’t think they envisioned their employees walking back and forth outside to get to a meeting in the other building.
DCole said that space was larger than the One Light lobby. That seems sufficient, no?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

smh wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:27 pm DCole said that space was larger than the One Light lobby. That seems sufficient, no?
No, a residential building with a couple hundred residents needing just a doorman and small waiting area for guests would be much smaller than a corporate lobby for many more employees and clients.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 pm
There's plenty of room and existing elevator shafts in the current allotted lobby space. Smaller lobby's tend to be the trend lately. I don't see them using the garment space as any kind of entrance into the Strata building, especially considering there will be a parking garage directly on top, so very disconnected from the actual building.

The Garment District is operated by Cordish, so they won't give it up unless it's a great opportunity. They understand the importance of local retail.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:39 pm
smh wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:27 pm DCole said that space was larger than the One Light lobby. That seems sufficient, no?
No, a residential building with a couple hundred residents needing just a doorman and small waiting area for guests would be much smaller than a corporate lobby for many more employees and clients.
There's no rule saying the waiting area or formal lobby has to be at the entrance. They can make a grand lobby on one of the higher levels. A large lower lobby for this building would be a waste.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:44 pm The Garment District is operated by Cordish, so they won't give it up unless it's a great opportunity. They understand the importance of local retail.
Because the district is thriving with that one remaining store? Can it even be called a district with one store. What store are you really worried about on that block. Yardhouse stays but the other spaces are blank!