OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Post Reply
User avatar
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2260
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 12:57 pm

OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by ShowMeKC »

Have we heard anything else at all about the second tower that was planned for the district? I think it was proposed for west of the current H&R Block tower, and was meant to be an expansion for H&R Block. What was the timeline for it, and is it still in the plans?

KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Brookside (KCMO)

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by KCTigerFan »

The retail block to the west of H&R Block is designed to have the expansion on top.  Given the state of H&R right now, I doubt you will see it for years.  Perhaps H&R will allow a transfer of rights and something could go in sooner. 

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18122
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCTigerFan wrote: Perhaps H&R will allow a transfer of rights and something could go in sooner. 
wouldn't that involve sharing their garage?  :shock:

User avatar
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2818
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:27 pm
Location: Roanoke, KCMO

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by Midtownkid »

It this why there is that weird hole in the retail block...the lobby of the new building would be there?  What does it look like they are doing w/ that space for now?  (Can't see it as I'm not is town)  Last I saw it looked like it was just the back of all the retail shops w/ white painted CMU walls...not exactly attractive.
Check out KC Kids Comics! http://www.kckidscomics.webs.com/

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12265
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCTigerFan wrote: Given the state of H&R right now, I doubt you will see it for years. 
Probably a decade or more, if ever.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4402
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: Mount Hope

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by moderne »

Prrobably never, like the UMB tower.

KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Brookside (KCMO)

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by KCTigerFan »

Some additional parking may go elevated.
The lobby is actually  on Main and is covered with decorative cladding.  It will remain a sealed unfinished room until the building happens.  The west side is actually for services and loading dock.  It will receive a decorative fence. 

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18122
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCTigerFan wrote: Some additional parking may go elevated.
The lobby is actually  on Main and is covered with decorative cladding.  It will remain a sealed unfinished room until the building happens.  The west side is actually for services and loading dock.  It will receive a decorative fence.   
neat! i wondered why it looked like that!

i guess i'll have to keep my wits about me when walking on baltimore. more curb cuts!

User avatar
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4795
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:01 pm

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by KansasCityCraka »

So what happens if H&R Block decides that they wont need that 2nd tower, will they sell it to another person who could build on top of it or will they always keep it available just incase?

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14818
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by FangKC »

I imagine they will only retain building rights for so many years, then Cordish will be free to do whatever they want with the overhead rights.
There is no fifth destination.

scooterj
Ambassador
Posts: 5995
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by scooterj »

Midtownkid wrote: It this why there is that weird hole in the retail block...the lobby of the new building would be there?  What does it look like they are doing w/ that space for now?  (Can't see it as I'm not is town)  Last I saw it looked like it was just the back of all the retail shops w/ white painted CMU walls...not exactly attractive.

They've started building the decorative gate that will help hide this area when it's not being used for loading.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4206
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:25 am
Location: brookside

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by lock+load »

Why is such a large service area necessary?  It's disappointing that we have such a hole on Baltimore while orienting somuch of the retail to the interior of the block.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30123
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by KCPowercat »

are the retail stores supposed to air lift their stuff in?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14818
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by FangKC »

Plenty of stores in NYC take their merchandise in through the front door and park the delivery truck on the curb in front.
There is no fifth destination.

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by missingkc »

Plenty of stores in NYC take their merchandise in through the front door and park the delivery truck on the curb in front.
Don't most stores on the Plaza do the same?

User avatar
normalthings
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3151
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by normalthings »

Now that H&R Block is selling H&R Bank, I would think they would invest the $250 Million + in newly opened up cash reserves. Do you see them investing in KC real estate(second tower or such)?

User avatar
normalthings
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3151
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:I imagine they will only retain building rights for so many years, then Cordish will be free to do whatever they want with the overhead rights.
"H&R Block has until July 2016 to buy the air rights over the retail for a nominal sum. After that, it will have right of first refusal to buy the air rights through 2026." - KCBJ

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8340
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:Now that H&R Block is selling H&R Bank, I would think they would invest the $250 Million + in newly opened up cash reserves. Do you see them investing in KC real estate(second tower or such)?
Did they ever replace the 350 people fired in 2012?

To me if they increased staffing tells me if they build another tower.

Someone has to be the major tenant to not be a giant black hole and if it's not them, who is it?

User avatar
normalthings
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3151
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Now that H&R Block is selling H&R Bank, I would think they would invest the $250 Million + in newly opened up cash reserves. Do you see them investing in KC real estate(second tower or such)?
Did they ever replace the 350 people fired in 2012?

To me if they increased staffing tells me if they build another tower.

Someone has to be the major tenant to not be a giant black hole and if it's not them, who is it?
IDK... I was thinking more of apartment/condos in the second tower.

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Roanoke/Volker

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by atticus23 »

Kinda doubt if H&R ever build their second tower, while it would be amazing to see, I'm not holding my breath on it.

That being said, as I was rereading this thread I saw something about a UMB Tower...? Was there ever a thread about it or can anyone send a link about that project? Just curious...

Post Reply