P&L Live Block entertainment schedule (ongoing)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: P&L Live Block entertainment schedule (ongoing)

Post by GRID »

MightyKC wrote: I couldn't agree more, especially after seeing the board at the K yesterday and knowing what is available. 
The first time I saw the Live board, I thought, WTF?, they could have done better.  I just didn't say anything :).
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I was also very underwhelmed with the Live block's display.  It seems like they would have put more emphasis on this for obvious reasons.  Between the atmosphere and the abundance of alcohol, a larger, better screen could make the live block THE staple place to go watch a big game or any other major televised event.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

they need one of these screens ->
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Even just one of the center hung HD boards from the Sprint Center would be good enough
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Any updates? Looks like April is absent from the list in the first post.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: No, but it gives out of towners a wonderful tour of the eastside ghetto and the abandoned leeds industrial district!
Abandoned? Really? I though you new your city better than that.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: I think pre and post game rallies for the royals complete with bus transportion to the game would be a big hit.

I ran into 2-3 groups of suburban dwellers who were going to the p&l after the game.
Man, it's really hard to hold my tongue sometimes...but I'll do it.  I'll do it for the sake of hte board....
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
ntbpo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ntbpo »

Not really on topic but I needed to ask. Is that the new scoreboard at Kauffman? or is that the rendering of what it is going to look like. If it is the new board it looks great!; however something in me loved to see the old KC crown off I-70 (it was so cheesy that it was cool) when heading in from STL for the Cards Royals series.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Abandoned? Really? I though you new your city better than that.
I'm sorry, they use the massive plant for a city tow lot.

There are a few businesses down there such as Weld Wheel.  But by far and large, it's a gigantic toxic wasteland of junkyards and empty factories and warehouses or just open industrial land that used to have rail yards, factories that supported the GM plant etc.

Were you being sarcastic???
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

ntbpo wrote: Not really on topic but I needed to ask. Is that the new scoreboard at Kauffman? or is that the rendering of what it is going to look like. If it is the new board it looks great!; however something in me loved to see the old KC crown off I-70 (it was so cheesy that it was cool) when heading in from STL for the Cards Royals series.
Yeah, thats the real thing.  It is awesome.  Don't fret too much though, the crown will be added for next years opener.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

David Cook (Blue Springs native, currently on American Idol) is performing at the P+L District this Friday, May 9. 

not that this is "major," but it seems like he might be the most popular artist to play at the P+L so far?  it's part of the American Idol "homecoming" thing they apparently do each season?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I bet that place will be a shit show on Friday.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: David Cook (Blue Springs native, currently on American Idol) is performing at the P+L District this Friday, May 9. 

not that this is "major," but it seems like he might be the most popular artist to play at the P+L so far?  it's part of the American Idol "homecoming" thing they apparently do each season?
http://www.kansascity.com/620/story/609403.html

yes, there's even a parade. we called the "hot line" from my office phone and it is too funny!
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back ... light.html

Here is the upcoming P&L District Music Schedule according to the Star:

The Kansas City Power and  Light District has put together most of its spring/summer/fall free music program. All shows are free and take place in the covered outdoor pavilion in the entertainment district across from Sprint Center. It all starts next weekend with a three-day Spring Extravaganza. The lineup:

7 p.m. May 16: Three Dog Night with Dr. Hook; 7 p.m. May 17: Vertical Horizon with Josh Gracin; 11 a.m. May 18: the Armies Rock Band celebrates Armed Forces Day (and it's also game day for the Kansas City Brigade).

The district has planned four concert series: the Rock the Block Series, Hot Country Nights, the Kansas City Blues Society's Blues Series and the District Rhythms series.  The lineups:

The Thursday night Hot Country Nights series begins on May 29, with a show by Dierks Bentley. It continues through Sept. 4. The lineup (in order): Dierks Bentley, Billy Currington, Craig Morgan, the Kansas City Country Revue, Jake Owen, Luke Bryan, the Kansas City Country Revue, Ashley Monroe, David Lee Murphy, the Kansas City Country Revue, Jason Michael Carrol, Whiskey Falls, the Kansas City Country Revue, TBA, Sarah Buxton.

The Wednesday night Rock the Block series begins June 4 with a performance by Shiny Toy Guns. The rest of the weekly schedule (in order): Seven Mary Three, Say Anything, the Kansas City Rock Revue, the Bravery, the Pat McGee Band, Meridian West, the Home Grown Revue, Finger Eleven and another "big-name" band to be announced. Once the Rock the Block Series ends, Wednesdays will become Home Grown nights and feature local bands.

The district has scheduled two other series: The Kansas City Blues Society Blue Series, a Sunday series that runs from Aug. 2 through Aug. 30.

It is also scheduling a Tuesday night District Rhythms series, which will feature national, regional and local R&B acts. The first show in this series will be Sept. 2 and will feature a big-name, big-label recording artist. Details will be announced soon.

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

OMG David Cook just walked into Mix 93! Lol omg!!!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

voltopt wrote: OMG David Cook just walked into Mix 93! Lol omg!!!
~*BURSTS INTO HEART-SHAPED CONFETTI*~
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The KC Live performance is being streamed live on fox 4's web site. http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Wayne Cauthen was on stage...message from MO governor declaring today David Cook Day. I would estimate 2,000+ people there to watch him sing 2 songs.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I went....never even watched idol but figured it was a cool city event so I'd check it out. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Have never seen the show until hearing a KC guy was near the top.  He does seem to have the whole package of a pop performer.

Doesn't look like too many people showed up at P&L...
http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home ... geId=1.1.1