Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

Do you support the dress code in the Live! block?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 111

drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by drumatix »

Sussudio wrote: I rarely had a clean cut kid in detention. Not to say they were there, but it was rare.

You need to spend a day with me then.
OK, I'd agree that it has something to do with YOUTH culture - but if you're proposing that baggy pants are part of black culture, or mexican culture, or some other race's culture, then that's pretty offensive to a lot of folks who are actually in touch with their heritage. The so-called 'thug' look that's being discussed here is nothing more than a style, a trend, and is not part of anyone's heritage or religion.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

I don't think anyone said baggy pants and work boots had anything to do with black or white. I just said trouble makers.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: racial?  he was talking 2 items of clothing that are worn by all races....this is sad.
This is a racial issue.  You can claim it is not until you're blue in the face.  You, however, are wrong.  I mean, the hip-hop movement has been burgeoning in the African-American culture since the 80s.  Look no further than Jason Whitlock for confirmation of the point.  The hip-hop dress and attire is more or less synonomyous with young black males.  Of course, there are white people who wear the clothes at issue.  There are probably asian and mexican people who wear it as well.  However, we all know who the core demographic is.  Stop making the ridiculous argument that the hip-hop culture is race neutral.  It is not.  It never has been.  It never will be.

The real issue is whether the hip-hop attire should be banned from places of "public accomodation" for being innapropriate.  Personally, I don't hink it is innapropriate (with limits).  You, on the other hand, think hip-hop attire should be forbidden.  Further, you think this banning hip-hop attire will affect black and white men proportionately.  I think you're crazy... or out of touch.  
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

It's a smart business move by Cordish: create a strict dress code to "protect" white suburbanites from the "thugs".  This allows the district to take off and flourish during its opening days (months) by attracting the desired demographic.  It will take considerable time for folks to rally to oppose the dress code and get a suit filed.  After Cordish has bought enough time, they cave to the pressure and eliminate the offending portions of the dress code.   Voila, project is established, lawsuit averted and at minimal cost to Cordish.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

drumatix wrote: It has a lot to do with MTV, nothing to do with culture.
MTV is culture.  BET is culture. 
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

KC-wildcat wrote: This is a racial issue.  You can claim it is not until you're blue in the face.  You, however, are wrong.  I mean, the hip-hop movement has been burgeoning in the African-American culture since the 80s.  Look no further than Jason Whitlock for confirmation of the point.  The hip-hop dress and attire is more or less synonomyous with young black males.  Of course, there are white people who wear the clothes at issue.  There are probably asian and mexican people who wear it as well.  However, we all know who the core demographic is.  Stop making the ridiculous argument that the hip-hop culture is race neutral.  It is not.  It never has been.  It never will be.

The real issue is whether the hip-hop attire should be banned from places of "public accomodation" for being innapropriate.  Personally, I don't hink it is innapropriate (with limits).  You, on the other hand, think hip-hop attire should be forbidden.  Further, you think this banning hip-hop attire will affect black and white men proportionately.  I think you're crazy... or out of touch.  
A lot of the kids I worked with in detention were white. They wore baggy light blue dickies or red or royal blue (all gang related) that you could see their boxers or whities. Gangs aren't always about race.

But if you think dress codes are racially motivated, then that's your opinion and I respect it.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

So I guess we can all agree that it's probably legal, but not ethically correct. 

Personally, my brain says this is wrong, but my "not-wanting-to-get-shot" organ feels it's so right....

I'm afraid of you, but i'll defend your right to be scary damn it!!!
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Sussudio wrote: A lot of the kids I worked with in detention were white. They wore baggy light blue dickies or red or royal blue (all gang related) that you could see their boxers or whities. Gangs aren't always about race.

But if you think dress codes are racially motivated, then that's your opinion and I respect it.
I'm assuming you mean scholastic detention?  Just out of curiosity, what school do you work for?  Or, if you don't want to give out the name, what is the racial breakdown?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you have no idea my feelings on this issue.  I am just tired of these issues turned into racial issues when they aren't . 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kclofter wrote: It's a smart business move by Cordish: create a strict dress code to "protect" white suburbanites from the "thugs".  This allows the district to take off and flourish during its opening days (months) by attracting the desired demographic.  It will take considerable time for folks to rally to oppose the dress code and get a suit filed.  After Cordish has bought enough time, they cave to the pressure and eliminate the offending portions of the dress code.   Voila, project is established, lawsuit averted and at minimal cost to Cordish.
And then the non hip hops avoid the area the project goes downhill.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Sussudio wrote:
Just to clarify, I am NOT claiming that Cordish is racist or that their intent is to ban black males from P&L.  I am commenting on the effect.  IMO, the effect of the dress code is essentially to exclude young black males.  Because the effect is adverse to Black Men, I think it is wrong.  Personally, I don't think it matters whether Cordish intends to exclude them.  If they are excluding them, they need to check their policy.      
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Power & Light District Dress Code

Post by KCMax »

This deserves its own thread.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Apparently hip hop/urban culture is just misunderstood and anyone who dares to object to the disrespect for others, crime, mysogyny, and indiscriminate violance surrounding it, clearly has no motives other than racisim.  We should just open our hearts and accept the culture into our lives, 'warts' and all.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

KC-wildcat wrote: Just to clarify, I am NOT claiming that Cordish is racist or that their intent is to ban black males from P&L.  I am commenting on the effect.  IMO, the effect of the dress code is essentially to exclude young black males.  Because the effect is adverse to Black Men, I think it is wrong.  Personally, I don't think it matters whether Cordish intends to exclude them.  If they are excluding them, they need to check their policy.      
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that one. I'll get back to you.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC-wildcat wrote: This is a racial issue.  You can claim it is not until you're blue in the face.  You, however, are wrong.  I mean, the hip-hop movement has been burgeoning in the African-American culture since the 80s.  
Excuse me for being an ignorant, old, white male but do "all" young black men dress like hip-hoppers?  I guess those young, black looking young men I have seen at the grocery store or the car wash and other places are not really black or African-American.  If they are not then what are they?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KC-wildcat wrote: Just to clarify, I am NOT claiming that Cordish is racist or that their intent is to ban black males from P&L.  I am commenting on the effect.  IMO, the effect of the dress code is essentially to exclude young black males.  Because the effect is adverse to Black Men, I think it is wrong.  Personally, I don't think it matters whether Cordish intends to exclude them.  If they are excluding them, they need to check their policy.      
So you are saying thug is synonymous with young black male.  You sound like the racist.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

I didn't want to get involved in this discussion.  But its just ridiculous.  I've been to plenty of bars in my lifetime, and a large chunk of them have dress codes.  Not saying its right or wrong, but its a business decision and I think they should have a say in the customers they want in their said business.  There are numerous bars in Manhattan (KS) that have a dress code and have not received any problems because of the codes.  These have actually turned out to be the most popular bars in Aggieville.  The dress codes are a minor thing, and if people really want to get into these bars, they'll change to meet the codes.  Easy as that.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

KC-wildcat wrote: MTV is culture.  BET is culture. 
Yes, they're both a part of popular culture. The clothing trends related to worldwide phenomena like these obviously aren't really unique to any one racial group, and seem a little bit more difficult to defend than, say, turbans, which belong to certain cultures and are rooted in tradition.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

i think it's different though when it's one bar vs a huge chunk of a district.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And then the non hip hops avoid the area the project goes downhill.
My bet is that the hip-hops won't flock in after it's initially established.