Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

Do you support the dress code in the Live! block?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 111

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I wonder what will happen when, on a Fri or Sat night, the SC has it's first big rap concert, and say it draws over 12,000 people.  Of course, not all will be black, but how will Cordish accept this type of crowd?  Some of these fans will be 21 and over.  They will want to drink and/or eat before and after the concert.  Some will also be parking in the P&L garages.
Is there much of anything in the way of arena-sized rap tours left these days?  I guess the answer, is if folks want to go to the show and the district, they better pull their pants up and buy an appropriate sized t-shirt. 
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Is there much of anything in the way of arena-sized rap tours left these days?  I guess the answer, is if folks want to go to the show and the district, they better pull their pants up and buy an appropriate sized t-shirt. 
There are plenty of rap/hip hop/r&b tours that still play in arenas and sometime stadiums.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

wow..akp...everybody going to a rap concert dresses the same?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Not say they do.  Just that there would be a high number of people in the area dressing in a way that would not gain admission to KC Live.  That is all.  Worked many concerts and believe me, not everyone dresses the same, even for C&W with hats, boots, and big belt buckles.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

There was a very high number at Chris Brown and Little Bow Wow. The comment on the radio this morning was just that: how will Cordish handle this crowd who mainly dresses in saggy pants and work boots?

My favorite part was the caller who wanted to get rid of men who wear socks with sandles. I totally think that should be part of a dress code.

I also wonder how this will be handled in the bars.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Lucky Strike has a poster in your face as you come up the stairs stating their dress code.  Personally, I would love to see someone bowling and their pants go down and they trip and slide all the way down the lane!  Now that's comedy!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

simple policy. All rap concerts from hereon out shall be held at Kemper Arena. Done.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

I worry about Rap crowds. The tranformation at Grand Emporium in the last year is proof of that. I'm surprised that place hasn't had a shooting or two yet.

I think as long as you go in know the dress code, it's cool. I wouldn't expect to show up at a classy joint in my jeans and flip flops. It's a respect thing that's been lost in this day and age. If the owners want you to wear speedos and tube tops, then damnit, where speedos and tube tops!

Anyone seen that episode of Sex and the City where you can't wear anything but underwear and socks in the gay bar?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Here is an idea:  if you subscribe to the baggy pants and workboots school of style, work to CHANGE the perception that you are associated with undesirable activities.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

lock+load wrote: Here is an idea:  if you subscribe to the baggy pants and workboots school of style, work to CHANGE the perception that you are associated with undesirable activities.
Or just go to Ward Parkway's Mall.  P&L isn't for everyone.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

Maitre D wrote: Or just go to Ward Parkway's Mall.  P&L isn't for everyone.
ward parkway is so odd now. there's a target and starbucks there. a staples is even moving in this year.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

lock+load wrote: Here is an idea:  if you subscribe to the baggy pants and workboots school of style, work to CHANGE the perception that you are associated with undesirable activities.
That's very true.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

coreyo wrote: ward parkway is so odd now. there's a target and starbucks there. a staples is even moving in this year.
We'll take it back up to the booth.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Here is another idea:  if you subscribe to the notion that an individual is automatically a "thug" if he wears baggy pants and workboots, work to CHANGE the perception that you are narrow-minded and inolterant of racial and cultural differences.   
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

racial?  he was talking 2 items of clothing that are worn by all races....this is sad.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

KC-wildcat wrote: Here is another idea:  if you subscribe to the notion that an individual is automatically a "thug" if he wears baggy pants and workboots, work to CHANGE the perception that you are narrow-minded and inolterant of racial and cultural differences.   
Should we be tolerant of gang-related clothing?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC-wildcat wrote: Here is another idea:  if you subscribe to the notion that an individual is automatically a "thug" if he wears baggy pants and workboots, work to CHANGE the perception that you are narrow-minded and inolterant of racial and cultural differences.   
i don't think Cordish or anyone assumes that everyone who wears those things are "thugs."  they just know that the "bad" 5% of people that dress like that can ruin it for everyone and are not taking any chances.  it is unfortunate that a few bad apples choose to bring their bullshit on others, but that's the way it is.

(cue the Star photo of the kid being tackled by KCPD at the st. patrick's day parade with an uzi in his coat)
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

The problem is that too often those perceptions are reinforced by reality.  It only takes a couple of problems, even out of a thousand opportunites, to blow it.  

Why do you think the perception is there in the first place?   Thug activity tends to be caused by thug dressers.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

...And also work to change the perception that dressing in baggy pants and workboots has anything to do with race or culture. It has a lot to do with MTV, nothing to do with culture.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

I rarely had a clean cut kid in detention. Not to say they were there, but it was rare.
drumatix wrote: ...And also work to change the perception that dressing in baggy pants and workboots has anything to do with race or culture. It has a lot to do with MTV, nothing to do with culture.
You need to spend a day with me then.