Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

Do you support the dress code in the Live! block?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 111

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: z.n.. got subsidies and has dress codes...no outrage was heard.
Not quite as high profile as P&L.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCMax wrote: Not quite as high profile as P&L.
Did it not get as much attention in Zona Rosa because they are not in as close proximity to what some assume the baggy-bandana-wearing-demographic lives?  More of a chance for that demographic to populate the P&L...

?
dejamiller
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dejamiller »

Are these just suggestions for what the dress code is or is it policy.

If it is truly stated as it is in its current form. I will definitely be petitioning the ACLU and Cordish will have to at least answer to their actions. Just like Louisville, we can effect change.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Well, I think we all know the district is going to be a hybrid Westport/Plaza experience with all the pros and cons that suggests.  The dress code won't keep anyone from visiting, but it sends the message that certain cultural expressions won't be allowed, and that's intended to make folks who ascribe to those expressions uncomfortable or at least turn them off a place, it's basically a big "UnWelcome" sign.  Kind of like that big ass cowpeople sign.

On the one hand it's patently wrong, on the other, I'll let the non-thug baggy pant contingent fight the good fight. 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i don't see how cordish stating a dress code for the live block is any different than any other business stating a dress code.  what about super fancy places that won't seat you for dinner if you're not wearing a tie?  cordish has every right to implement a dress code in the live block because it is their property.

it's not like people wearing baggy pants and huge shirts can't go to chipotle or bristol, they just can't frequent the live block for concerts and free flowing alcohol.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yes but the only ones that have a chance of success are those where there is either outside evidence of an intent to commit racial discrimination or evidence of a pattern of racially discriminatory application.  I have already made it clear that if six months from now, there are a bunch of white kids running around indside the Live block dressed like thugs, yet similarly dressed black kids are gettin turned away than Cordish can and likely will be sued and I would support the plaintiff's cause - that's racial discrimination.  A dress code in and of itself is not.  Hopefully Cordish is sophisticated enough to adequately train their bouncers to ensure that everyone violating the code gets turned away.  
While the intent of the practice is important in these lawsuits, the effect is equally - if not more - important.  In other words, if the effect of your policy is to burden one particular class of people, the business' intent in instituting that policy is largely irrelevant.  
The question is whether creating a dress code creates a suspect class based on race, gender, age, etc.  Admittedly, I think a legal challenge would be met with all sorts of problems.  But, as was evidenced in Louisville, Cordish would probably be willing to relax its poilcy rather than face a lawsuit.  

And, Tiger, there is a difference between private places and places of "public accomodation."  Private clubs (i.e. golf courses and country clubs) can exclude women, blacks, gays, jews, etc.  Places of public accomodation (i.e. restuarants, schools) cannot.  
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

dejamiller wrote: Are these just suggestions for what the dress code is or is it policy.

If it is truly stated as it is in its current form. I will definitely be petitioning the ACLU and Cordish will have to at least answer to their actions. Just like Louisville, we can effect change.
Good luck with that. Privately-owned businesses can enforce dress codes as they see fit, especially when they're targeting very (VERY) mainstream clothing worn by many people of every color. They're cutting out a huge number and variety of people with this policy, somewhat to their own detriment, but it seems like it should be their right to enforce dress codes as they see fit.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

shaffe wrote: i don't see how cordish stating a dress code for the live block is any different than any other business stating a dress code.  what about super fancy places that won't seat you for dinner if you're not wearing a tie?  cordish has every right to implement a dress code in the live block because it is their property.

it's not like people wearing baggy pants and huge shirts can't go to chipotle or bristol, they just can't frequent the live block for concerts and free flowing alcohol.
I think the difference is that it targets one particular group.  For a fancy restaurant they are targeting everyone regardless of personal style, all men are required to have a jacket, tie, dress shirt/pants etc, all women wear dresses.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

shaffe wrote: i don't see how cordish stating a dress code for the live block is any different than any other business stating a dress code.  what about super fancy places that won't seat you for dinner if you're not wearing a tie?  cordish has every right to implement a dress code in the live block because it is their property.

You bring up a good point that race is not the ONLY way you can be discriminated against, but it sure as hell is the one most people are so concerned with.  I've been turned away from places for dress code, and I am sure it's not because I'm white.  It was because I was wearing a t-shirt (at the now defunct The Drink - yeah, that lasted long!)  Certain places want to maintain a certain "classinesss" about them.  I don't have a problem with that.  Sure, I thought it was stupid that I was turned away from The Drink, but whatever.  I also had to tuck in my shirt at Paddy O'Qugley's in Lee's Summit.  So what, tuck your shirt in, go have a beer.  There was no sign posted there, but it's just not something to ruffle your feathers over.  If you walk down the street and it says "no baggy jeans" and you're wearing some that 4 people could share, go home, change, come back and have a good time.  It's all about maintaining a vibe that we are well dressed and there to have a good time.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I have less of a problem with the restaurants in P&L having this policy than the outdoor area and sidewalks around the district. Those are quasi-public areas.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The funny things is that dress codes would be much less polemic if they just listed what attire WAS acceptable instead of what ISN'T. Let me suggest this:

The Cordish Company strongly encourages you to dress like people you regularly see in positions of money and power. If the dude you write your rent check to is wearing it, it's okeh by us. Unless your landlord is black. In which case, you surely can't afford the drinks here anyway. Also, "street level narcotics kingpin" is not a position of money or power. Dress like the people your street level narcotics dealer is represented by in court, or if you prefer, like the white dude he buys HIS drugs from. Please enjoy your time at the Power and White District. Thanks for respecting our class, and don't forget to buckle up, bitchez.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

The issue is also that I think we all know that this isn't about classiness.  It could be said that a dude with worn jeans, tucked checkered shirt, leather boots and a cowboy hat is about as "unclassy" as a baggy pant wearing guy.  But there isn't a stereotype of guns and violence associated with the hat guy like there is with the baggy pants guy.... (or is there....)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

ComandanteCero wrote: The issue is also that I think we all know that this isn't about classiness.  It could be said that a dude with worn jeans, tucked checkered shirt, leather boots and a cowboy hat is about as "unclassy" as a baggy pant wearing guy.  But there isn't a stereotype of guns and violence associated with the hat guy like there is with the baggy pants guy.... (or is there....)
They carry whips and lassos!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: They carry whips and lassos!
Is the district anti-BDSM?  Kinky people have rights too damn it!   :lol:
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

Maybe it is a safety issue, I watched a kid go up an escalator the other day wearing pants that were way down there, I thought he was going to break his neck when he tried to get off.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I was a attacked by a pair of enraged baggy pants once.  I'm pretty sure it said something racial towards the end, but it was hard to understand (it had my ear between its evil little zipper teeth).
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Keep it on topic, Comand! jk :)

I also like the emphasis on street entertainment and live music.  I especially like that Cordish is emphasizing jazz.  Kind of an historical revival. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Wonder what/if any policy on street entertainment will be.  Will the people that frequent the Crossroads and peddle their wares migrate at times to P&L?  For instance, the guy that has the big 80s boom box and does robotic dances?  The lady that dresses in raggy pale blue/white victorian garb and has an umbrella with the dropping artifacts?  Will they stay in Crossroads or start to try their luck on P&L patrons?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I wonder what will happen when, on a Fri or Sat night, the SC has it's first big rap concert, and say it draws over 12,000 people.  Of course, not all will be black, but how will Cordish accept this type of crowd?  Some of these fans will be 21 and over.  They will want to drink and/or eat before and after the concert.  Some will also be parking in the P&L garages.

As a side note.  Last June when I was in Vegas waiting to check into the hotel there was a woman in front of me.  She was middle-aged and let's say her shape was not like a model, or even close.  She had on this pair of almost sheer white pants and I did not notice a panty line.  It wasn't until she stretched that I noticed her thong underwear.  Wonder how Cordish would treat someone like that?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Wonder what/if any policy on street entertainment will be.  Will the people that frequent the Crossroads and peddle their wares migrate at times to P&L?  For instance, the guy that has the big 80s boom box and does robotic dances?  The lady that dresses in raggy pale blue/white victorian garb and has an umbrella with the dropping artifacts?  Will they stay in Crossroads or start to try their luck on P&L patrons?
On 980 this morning, Darla Jaye was discussing a possible proposed dress code for the P&L. So, no more lady that dresses in raggy pale blue/white victorian garb and has an umbrella with the dropping artifacts.  :lol: