Maitre D's P&L Experience thread (from Offical thread)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I tell people not to even bother going to the P&L right now.   Last nite beofre the concert, gave Ted's another shot.  Packed to the gills.   Famous Dave's, same thing.  Vinino?  "Um sorry sir, we have a 2hr wait"   

Since only a couple places are open, they're packed now.  What's the point in even trying to get in?    If the whole district isn't open, seriously, do NOT bother.   Wait till it IS all open.  Trust me.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: I tell people not to even bother going to the P&L right now.   Last nite beofre the concert, gave Ted's another shot.  Packed to the gills.   Famous Dave's, same thing.   Vinino?   "Um sorry sir, we have a 2hr wait"     

Since only a couple places are open, they're packed now.  What's the point in even trying to get in?    If the whole district isn't open, seriously, do NOT bother.   Wait till it IS all open.   Trust me.
It may be personally disppointing when you can't get in where you want but I would still rather the buzz around town to be that the P&L is too popular and busy than the opposite.  When people hear that it is so busy you can't get in, it makes even more people want to come.  If people were talking about the empty restaurants and bars, that would not be a good sign. 

Also - I suspect your story may have more to do with the fact that you went on an event night.  Non-event weeknights, you can still pretty much have your run of the place. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Maitre D wrote: I tell people not to even bother going to the P&L right now.  Last nite beofre the concert, gave Ted's another shot.  Packed to the gills.  Famous Dave's, same thing.  Vinino?  "Um sorry sir, we have a 2hr wait"   

Since only a couple places are open, they're packed now.  What's the point in even trying to get in?    If the whole district isn't open, seriously, do NOT bother.  Wait till it IS all open.  Trust me.
Are you actually trying to fit into every suburbanite stereotype there is or does it just come naturally?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Are you actually trying to fit into every suburbanite stereotype there is or does it just come naturally?
You stereotype people?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lol at thinking only 3 restaurants are open downtown.  throw a fit about the newest places being full before a concert, that show a lot.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

"Nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded."

-Yogi Berra
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Maitre D wrote: I tell people not to even bother going to the P&L right now.  Last nite beofre the concert, gave Ted's another shot.  Packed to the gills.  Famous Dave's, same thing.  Vinino?  "Um sorry sir, we have a 2hr wait"   

Since only a couple places are open, they're packed now.  What's the point in even trying to get in?    If the whole district isn't open, seriously, do NOT bother.  Wait till it IS all open.  Trust me.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Maitre D wrote: I tell people not to even bother going to the P&L right now.   Last nite beofre the concert, gave Ted's another shot.  Packed to the gills.   Famous Dave's, same thing.   Vinino?   "Um sorry sir, we have a 2hr wait"     

Since only a couple places are open, they're packed now.  What's the point in even trying to get in?    If the whole district isn't open, seriously, do NOT bother.   Wait till it IS all open.   Trust me.
seriously.  not cool.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

It's like being in a real city.  Crazy.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: seriously.  not cool.
Let him go back to the burbs and tell people how popular it was, how long the lines were, how full the bars and restaurants were.  That's no bad thing.  Would you rather suburbanites be going around telling each other how dead and boring it was, how they were the only ones walking around?  God forbid people would actually think of DT destinations as desirable places they need to plan in advance for and make reservations, instead of thinking of it as a sleepy place where they can just show up expecting to be the only ones there.  
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It may be personally disppointing when you can't get in where you want but I would still rather the buzz around town to be that the P&L is too popular and busy than the opposite.  When people hear that it is so busy you can't get in, it makes even more people want to come.  If people were talking about the empty restaurants and bars, that would not be a good sign. 
The district should've opened with the SC, and I"ll stand on that point forever.   I've been to the SC like 5x already and not once have I had anywhere to go afterwards.   (3x, I've walked over to the Drum Room.   Not ideal)

At least McFadden's is raking in the cash.  Good gawd, lines down the street evertime I go to SC. 

Also - I suspect your story may have more to do with the fact that you went on an event night.  Non-event weeknights, you can still pretty much have your run of the place. 
No doubt that's true.   But isnt the P&L supposed to be welcoming to all the Arena traffic?    I have $$$, I wanted to spend it, and the P&L apparently isn't quite ready to take it yet.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Let him go back to the burbs and tell people how popular it was, how long the lines were, how full the bars and restaurants were.  That's no bad thing.  Would you rather suburbanites be going around telling each other how dead and boring it was, how they were the only ones walking around?  God forbid people would actually think of DT destinations as desirable places they need to plan in advance for and make reservations, instead of thinking of it as a sleepy place where they can just show up expecting to be the only ones there.  
Good point.

I just think the place "should" get nothing but busier.  At least I hope.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Maitre D wrote: I have $$$, I wanted to spend it, and the P&L apparently isn't quite ready to take it yet.
actually, the p+l, even in its partially-open state, is perfectly ready to take your money.  indeed, as you found out, the open businesses were very busy accepting money from hundreds of other patrons.  you just happened to not plan your night very well or had unfortunate timing.  newsflash: even when the entire district is open, everywhere will be totally packed on an event night! 

in the likely event this happens to you again, here is a nice reference for you:  http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=13813.0  over 80 places in or near downtown for your dining pleasure.  many will not be your speed, but there you go.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Also, there are plenty of other restaurants in the River Market and Crossroads that are more than willing to take a person's money.  Even when the place is fully open, I can't see it fitting more than 5,000 people at a time (if that).  The district is going to be slammed on event nights, it might not be 2 hr waits, but it will be a good 45 minute wait at the least.  Lots of back up options in the area.

edit: yeah, what Chrizow said
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: Good point.

I just think the place "should" get nothing but busier.  At least I hope.
If you take it for granted that you will be able to walk in - you take what you get.  Numerous times we have decided on a whim to go accross the street and grab dinner at Lydia's or Jackstack on a completely uneventful weeknight, expecting to find a quiet restaurant, only to find the place packed full of meeting/conference attendees and a significant wait for a table.  I am sure that phenomenon will also be just as prevelant at the P&L.  I had absolutely no idea there was a show at SC last night and I am sure that had I wandered up on a monday night expecting dinner, I would have been surprised to find the crowd.  Do to the unpredictability of all that, we will all have to learn to either plan in advance or adapt to the choices.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you aren't  meant for an urban environment.  mango room isn't ideal?  it is a 3 block walk.  you walk further at oak park mall.

if you honestly can't find a place to go out, ask here, or read the threads, there is talk of restaurants all over downtown....but my guess is you want to have these "horrible" experiences to run back here and post about....awesome.

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The only difference is at the Mago Room they seat you and no one bothers to tell you it will be a two hour wait for your incredibly amiable but utterly spaced out server to take your drink order.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I misread, he said drum room...point still applies, 3 block walk...if he means not ideal due to the location, downtown is never going to work for that one.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

ComandanteCero wrote: Also, there are plenty of other restaurants in the River Market and Crossroads that are more than willing to take a person's money.  Even when the place is fully open, I can't see it fitting more than 5,000 people at a time (if that).  The district is going to be slammed on event nights, it might not be 2 hr waits, but it will be a good 45 minute wait at the least.  Lots of back up options in the area.

edit: yeah, what Chrizow said
Aw, come on man.  I'm not driving to the River Market for a concert at SC.  What's the damn point of having the P&L in the first place, if you're advocating people go to RM?

Not realistic or appealing for very many eventgoers.  The whole POINT of the DT arena is to eat & be entertained....DT!

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: I misread, he said drum room...point still applies, 3 block walk...if he means not ideal due to the location, downtown is never going to work for that one.
Yeah.  Walking from SC, to Drum, and then to the P&L garage was realllllll fun in the 10 degree wind chill.

Esp. with a girl in a skirt.  Yeah, you really NAILED that one, Powercat.