Maitre D's P&L Experience thread (from Offical thread)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: It's my fault now, that the P&L isn't opened on time?

I merely pointed out that it should've opened with the Arena, and you can disagree if you wish.

Oh c'mon, that's like going to the Plaza on a Friday night, not getting a table and saying "its my fault they didn't build enough restaurants here?"

Look, I share your criticism of Cordish in not getting these places open on time. But blaming your experience on that is silly. These restaurants are going to be crowded even when the entire district is open. And you could have avoided your "bad experience" with just a modest bit of effort.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: What makes you think the event crowds will really be much different when other places are open?  Sure there will be a lot more tables - but there will be a lot more people too.  You went to an event that only used 2/3 of the arena during a week when 95% of the city still isn't very aware that anything is even open down there.  There are still going to be lines at all these places an hour before the event - it may not be quite as hopeless as it was the other night - but don't count on getting your way than either.  
Well, it may be.   But again, it's important to distinguish btw a Monday Nite and a weekend nite.  (Critical, really, to this discussion)

I've never once had to get a reservation on a Monday nite and I thought more places would be open.  Shame on me for not researching this in-depth.   But even if 14K go to a concert, perhaps 1/3 will go out before or after.   Most people eat at the Arena or beforehand.

Like I said earlier, there weren't lines out every open place.  But all the places had full wait areas.  Which leads me to believe, had P&L been open fully, I'd have breezed into some place. 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Maitre D wrote: It's my fault now, that the P&L isn't opened on time?

I merely pointed out that it should've opened with the Arena, and you can disagree if you wish.

They didn't open with the arena though, and we can't do anything about that.  Should haves and could haves can be tossed around, but it really gets us nowhere.  Would it make you happier if the places that are open had just waited for all the others to be open so they could have one grand opening.  Obviously they are too packed right now, so if they had waited for the others to open it wouldn't be so bad.  How dare they make money.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

*yawn*
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Pretty much stating the obvious there MD. If there were more places open, the open places wouldn't be as crowded.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Maitre D wrote: I've never once had to get a reservation on a Monday nite and I thought more places would be open.  Shame on me for not researching this in-depth.   But even if 14K go to a concert, perhaps 1/3 will go out before or after.   Most people eat at the Arena or beforehand.
That's still more than 4500 people trying to go to 6 places if they're all going to P&L. How is that going to work even if it is a Monday night? That's 750 people per restaurant all going at the same time.

The funny thing is that this is the math you give us with these ridiculous numbers and you still want to come on here and act like you should've just gotten sat down immediately while you were competing with 748 people for a table.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What a fucking bad date you must be!  You don't even plan ahead for a night out with 'your lady' by perhaps making reservation or planning ahead on where to park so your date doesn't have to walk a long distance?  If you weren't so cheap you could have valet parked in front of Vinino.  Don't blame the P&L district that you're a shitty date.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

probably 3000 of them were smart enough to try places 2-3 blocks away....shocking.

it is better they opened as they could so arena patrons have some options...rather than waiting till every single place was ready.

I will say it again, I would rather them do this right than rush it...
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: Well, it may be.   But again, it's important to distinguish btw a Monday Nite and a weekend nite.  (Critical, really, to this discussion)

I've never once had to get a reservation on a Monday nite and I thought more places would be open.  Shame on me for not researching this in-depth.   But even if 14K go to a concert, perhaps 1/3 will go out before or after.   Most people eat at the Arena or beforehand.

Like I said earlier, there weren't lines out every open place.  But all the places had full wait areas.  Which leads me to believe, had P&L been open fully, I'd have breezed into some place.   
Even if just a third (probably a liberal guess I imagine) - that is a several thousand people.  Enough to fill a lot of bars and restaurants.  Imagine nicer weather, a more established happy hour crowd, etc.  You may get in some place, but you are going to spend an awful lot of your hour wandering around trying to find out which place has less of a crowd.  I am sure that at least one or two of the concepts will suck and wind up being unpopular - are you going to bitch when you show up and the only place you can get right in is the lame joint with the bad food?  Or if the only opening is at one of the more formal, expensive choices like the Bristol when you really just wanted a burger and a bud light?  

I already mentioned earlier that I probably wouldn't have had the forethought to think of it at first myself.  In hindsight, it seems pretty elementary - thousands of people coming, get a reservation.  
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

beautyfromashes wrote: What a fucking bad date you must be!  You don't even plan ahead for a night out with 'your lady' by perhaps making reservation or planning ahead on where to park so your date doesn't have to walk a long distance?  If you weren't so cheap you could have valet parked in front of Vinino.  Don't blame the P&L district that you're a shitty date.
And the worst part for her was, she paid for everything and drove my drunk ass home!    :lol:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Maitre D wrote:
Yeah, shame on you.  If your date had a terrible night, it was your fault.  You've got 9,314 posts on this site.  Don't play dumb.  You knew exactly how many places were open.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KC-wildcat wrote: Yeah, shame on you.  If your date had a terrible night, it was your fault.  
We had a blast at the concert.  We're discussing P&L, man.
You've got 9,314 posts on this site.
yeah but 9,000 of them are flame wars on the Sports forum.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Listen people, this isn't Chili's.  I know some of you suburbanites aren't use to fine dining.  Get a reservation!  My dad taught me that for my first date at 16 years old.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well this was entertaining...thanks m.d...this was better than working :)

come on down to the p&l and ill buy the first round...I will save you a table but you have to figure out parking...the drink will be your parking reward.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

and here i was concerned that once everything was up and running we wouldn't have much to talk about.  i guess we can thank people like MD for keeping the thread alive - even after everything opens up by this summer.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Maitre D wrote: We had a blast at the concert.   We're discussing P&L, man.
Nice diversion.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: well this was entertaining...thanks m.d...this was better than working :)

come on down to the p&l and ill buy the first round...I will save you a table but you have to figure out parking...the drink will be your parking reward.
Actually, the parking attendant told me "You can pay when you leave, and the eateries will validate you".   $10 w/o validation, $2 with.

So we trudge back from Drum Room, surviving what can only be described as a Moscow winter eve.    Drive out, and don't pay.   Nobody there to collect ~Midnight.    So that was a positive.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: And the worst part for her was, she paid for everything and drove my drunk ass home!    :lol:
Well hell, if this was a Sadie Hawkins/WPA-type affair than why are you blaiming cordish?  Sounds like you ought to be blaiming your date for not doing a better job of planning your evening.   :lol:
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Well hell, if this was a Sadie Hawkins/WPA-type affair than why are you blaiming cordish?  Sounds like you ought to be blaiming your date for not doing a better job of planning your evening.   :lol:
Confession:  she asked me earlier in the day if she should call somewhere down there, I said, "Nah won't be a problem"

I SHOULD HAVE READ THE RAG!

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Maitre D wrote: Confession:  she asked me earlier in the day if she should call somewhere down there, I said, "Nah won't be a problem"

I SHOULD HAVE READ THE RAG!
Just shows that you're dating out of your league and this lady will be dumping you soon.  You're Sonic and a $1 movie and she at least knows to make a reservation.  Plus, you're on here ALL the time and not realizing this shows that you are a bad listener, another sign of a bad date.  My advice would be to dump her before she dumps you.... and she will dump you!