OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I heard Petro talk a little about that.....didn't hear those specifics though...just heard him ranting about needing a new arena (ground breaking Petro)

bond issue? Taht would be the best method...no new taxes in this economic times....I thought the $35M being voted on was putting KC to the limits of our bond credit limit though....

I did hear him say maybe announced this week but probably after the elections.....
Last edited by KCPowercat on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by KCgridlock »

I want some details! Did you know that Kemper recently bought the land the new arena will sit on?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought UMB always owned that land?

He did say in Sunday's paper (I think it was this sunday) that if an arena was proposed to him right on his land he would listen...

Could we have a deal where UMB gives the city the land for some sort of naming rights?? UMB arena? Do they have the clout for that? I don't like naming stadiums but arenas are a little different...they don't have the personality that football/baseball stadiums have.

Oh wait...duhhh...Kemper Jr. Arena II...of course.

ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I could care less about the naming rights. They can name it Bazooka Showgirl Place for all I care. I'd rather not have to go through the Kemper family in order to get an arena. Since they're the idiots that located the first one where it is. But I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. Hopefully HOK pulls there best R&D for this project.
Calling a spade a spade.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

:D
Its awesome that the city is actually getting serious about this. Are there any renderings yet? Are those going to be released soon, or do they not exist yet? I kind of hope its make of brick...Good News for Downtown...Bonds a good idea

-Midtownkid
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

only rendering I know of is the one for SoLo which just placed an arena in a location...don't think it was supposed to look like it at all.

Maybe renderings would come out when they first announce the plans but I kind of doubt it.

Here's that solo rendering of an arena:

KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

I think they will release renderings. What would really be nice is if they also released some sort of big business deal as well like one of the local companies coming to the solo area to get the voters a little more excited about the project and another reason so vote yes other than the arena.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd take that 20 something story skyscraper in the rendering as the new home of HoK....that would be a pretty big landing....

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If somebody hears ANYTHING, could you please post it on here? Time heard, station, summary of report???

This is now my "pet project" and I'd like to hear EVERYTHING about it. If they say new arena, tell us what you heard...

Thanks.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

If a new arena does get built downtown, what are the chances that we will get an NBA or NHL team. Okl City just built a new 20,000 seat arena and I don't believe they have any professional sports teams. I could see the NBA going into that market because they tend to move franchises to cities where there is little to no competition, excluding some of the bigger cities like LA and NYC. I'm surprised that Charlotte was awarded another NBA franchise less than a year after the Hornets left for NO's. Of course Charlotte has the support of their banks like Wachovia and Bank of America that are paying for most of their new arena. I don't see Commerce or UMB stepping up in that manner, they just don't have the financial clout to get it done.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd rather see NBA but many studies have shown that an arena can be more successfully (money wise) with no primary professional tenant. I think the benefit from conventions and big time tournaments would be enough to make it worth while.

mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

I was listening to 810 and they had on Dave Helling from KCTV 5 to talk about the arena. Here is a summary of what was said:

- Passing of Quest. #1 and #2 were great for discussion of new arena
- Arena people he's talked to say they have plans that won't require a lot of public funds
- Expect NO state support from Missouri. On arena or Truman Sports Complex
- There may be a BiState comeback. But don't expect to see it until the 2004 election
- Dave expects to see the arena vote next August. Not during the Mayoral elections.
- Said that the arena would be 18,000 seats and $200 Million. So, basically its an updated Kemper in a new location. Will KC support that? Or will it want something bigger?
- Would NCAA Tournys come to small arena? It definately wouldn't get a basketball Final Four (those go to 50-60K seaters), but could it get a Regional? Also talk of NCAA Hockey "Frozen Four" (hockey's Final Four)
- Didn't know how arena would affect Downtown renewal. Depends on how many events and other actions the city takes.
- A baseball stadium would bring more people downtown, but is it fesable?
- Wyandotte Co. has a HUGE advantage of attracting new business because of the Speedway
- Talk of Bass Pro at Truman Sports Complex. Royals and Chiefs don't like it. Went on to discuss resturants and businesses at Truman, mainly, why aren't there any?
- With all the arena talk, we must keep an eye on the Royals and Chiefs (primarily the Royals)
- NBA and NHL have said that if KC builds arena and loses Royals, they'd be here in a heartbeat. So, do we want an arena so bad that it costs us the Royals?
- Kietzman: Why didn't KS make plans to build new Royals stadium next to Speedway? (He was just thinking out loud. Had no answer)

Kietzman: "One year from now, will we be voting for a new arena?"
Helling: "YES"
Helling: "But Royals and Chiefs should be a higher priority."

Dannaher (sp?) Mayoral candidate - not a supporter of any arena/stadium

Kietzman's summary: There will be major support for arena, but will it cost us the Royals? State of KS should go after Royals.

mRoyal
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great update, thanks.

I can't listen to Keitzman anymore because he goes for shock radio. He acts like if we try to improve one area of the city we are completely ignorning the Royals/Chiefs which of course is completely stupid. The city will do everything possible to keep both but can't just sit around and wait on Glass & Hunt's every request.

Keitzman is the same guy who says we shouldn't worry about the PAC or expanded Bartle because we have to worry about the Royals...now come on.

I wouldn't mind KS putting together a proposal for 2 reasons. 1) It might get MO off their ass and 2) if they submit a better bid, let them have it.

It's funny to hear KK talk about how great a downtown stadium is in one sentence and in the next talk about how KS should submit a bid....which is it KK.

On the arena being 18,000 seats.....that's about a normal size for any brand new arena being built.....20k is about the highest. Arenas don't host Final Fours anymore, indoor football stadiums do. I'll pass up Final fours so I can watch football outside. An arena doesn't have to host every single event ever dreamed of in the US to make it a good idea.

I don't want the Royals to leave for NBA/NHL franchise. Baseball & football are top 2 in my book.....a 3rd franchise isn't needed to make an arena profitable....some even say no major tenant makes arenas more profitable (I believe this study has been conducted by the Sports Commission).

Public vote in August......I assume 1/4 cent sales tax or something....I can get down with that. I think the citizens can too....everybody I know is so sick of Kemper.

Any talk of Kemper reuse? How about UMB's role in this (they own the land where it's proposed)

Great discussion.....I am so sick of KK though. From your bullets I can pick out the ones that were his points. He needs to settle down, the sky is not falling.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Channel 4 @ 6pm just had the following:

18-20,000 seat arena

$180M (I think that was the amount)

No state funds used

No vote until November 2004??? This is off from what we've heard

All financial avenues are being looked at

When I switched to it he said something about suites.

mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

I'm not a huge fan of Kietzman's, either. I was just repeating what he said.

"Any talk of Kemper reuse? How about UMB's role in this (they own the land where it's proposed)"

They didn't talk about Kemper or UMB at all. They did say that the 14th and Grand is the primary spot, but that location isn't set in stone. There are other places (which weren't mentioned).

mRoyal
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd be interested to hear the other locations.....

Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

How can an 18,000 seat arena have the same $200 million tag placed on a new 40,000+ seat baseball stadium that would require twice the land and site work?
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KK doesn't care about quality or details...you know that.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I believe Lamar Hunt or someone was recently interested in bringin' an arena football team to Kansas City. Would this be enough to get voters to approve a new tax? All of KC's soccer teams will probably be on my side of the border :lol: with the KC Comets goin' to Olathe's proposed arena and the KC Wizards' stadium probably goin' somewhere near Lenexa's proposed "new urbanism" project. Thank God I'm a soccer-fanatic, gettin' sick of hearin' about all these minor league baseball teams...scares me though...makes me wonder if everyone thinks that's going to be the only baseball we'll have in town someday.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Some of my thoughts on KK and the downtown arena issue.

First of all there's no need for a new arena if no there will be no NBA or NHL when it's completed now or 5-7 years at the most in the future. Would I give up the Royal's for a new arena and NHL team? Man that's tough. I would absolutely love to have a pro-hockey team here and plus be a shoe-in for future sites for the Big 12 tourney and the NCAA's but having a pro-baseball team is still pretty big time and plus I do like going out on a nice summer evening and watching baseball even though they're cellar dwellers.

Now on to KK. This guy is all shock radio. Remember a couple of years back when all he talked about was a downtown stadium for the Royal's and how great it would be. Then he always bag St. Louis every chance he get's because he's just jealous. Look KK you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Bottom line. I wish Kansas City leaders in the 60's weren't so stupid to put the Truman Sports complex where it's located at today. That was a decision that's been haunting the entire KC metro area for years in the past and years to come. They should have taken some land use classes.
Calling a spade a spade.