OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by eliphar17 »

justin8216 wrote: Maybe it is a giant roll of masking tape, and then they will spray paint on the sprint logo and remove the tape.  :-)
Actually I was thinking something sort of like that... maybe they will cut out the eventual logo (#2/3) from a larger sheet? But you wouldn't want to waste that much material. That's thousands of square feet.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

How much does applying a Sprint logo to the roof of a 10,000k sq ft. arena cost and who pays?
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

It is a part of the overall construction cost. I am not sure on how much it actually costs though.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Man, you all just need to do a bit more research and avoid all the speculation.  Check out the link I've provided below.  It should take you to the detail construction plans for Sprint Center.

http://reprocentral.worldplanroom.com/p ... ces&cr=247

After selecting the link above, click on:  Specs | Signage Documents | Exterior Signage Documents | Exterior Signage Documents 061606.pdf

Go to page 13 of 22 where you will find the specs for the graphic on the arena's roof.  You will need Java to view this file.

The detail indicates that there will be a rectangle of yellow (Pantone 7405) approximately 60 feet tall by 260 feet long.  On top of that yellow rectangle will be the words "Sprint Center" in black lettering.

There you have it--only a part of the roof will be yellow with the gray roof covering a good portion . . . at least according to these plans dated June 6, 2006.
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

A little more research???  Where the hell did you find "reprocentral.worldplan.com"???  Nice sleuthing and thanks for the link!!!
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Melba had the same question I had.

Sprint Center will be busy
October opening is planned, but question arises: Where will all the visitors park?

By DEANN SMITH
The Kansas City Star

The Sprint Center should be complete Oct. 9, and a major event is scheduled for the first weekend, officials told a Kansas City Council committee Thursday.

Organizers did not announce what that first event would be.

Anschutz Entertainment Group, which is managing the Sprint Center, has lined up 36 events through the end of the year, including separate basketball games involving the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri.

Concerts and family shows make up the bulk of the initial events, which should draw almost 400,000 people, Mark Faber, a senior vice president for AEG Kansas City, told the council’s Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

For the first full year, 88 already-committed public events should draw about 900,000 people, officials said. Besides concerts and family shows, they include motor sport shows, rodeos, religious events, ice shows and arena football.

Workers spent recent days installing millwork and granite tops in suites and drywall and tile in concession stands.

Councilwoman Melba Curls zeroed in on two key areas: restrooms and parking. “Where is the parking?” Curls queried.
Restrooms will be plentiful. But city officials admit that ensuring plentiful and affordable parking is an issue, and the city is exploring building another parking garage. Handicapped parking will be at the Town Pavilion garage, just west of the center.

Curls expressed concerns that private garage and lot operators will jack up their charges, pricing some people out of the events.

“People don’t want to pay an arm and leg for parking,” she said.

Officials expect prices will go up significantly when the center opens, said Greg Williams, an aide to City Manager Wayne Cauthen. However, he said the city’s control of a significant amount of parking should help stabilize prices.

In the meantime, he said city officials, AEG and others are scurrying to ensure a successful opening, including educating the public on how to reach the center and where to park.

“The first impression has to be perfect,” Williams said.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

jesus h christ.  are kansas citians really that stupid? 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I don't know if I agree that people will not go because of parking costs.

I base this on the fact that I have never, not once, made that a determining factor on whether I go to something.  When there is an event I want to go to, the only factor I consider are ticket prices.  Parking prices often fluctuate a lot anyway, based on how popular the lot tyrants think the event will be.

I think that people will come no matter what if it's someone they want to see.  Besides, you could always park somewhere that is NOT right next door and thereby not as expensive, and *gasp* walk a little.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

...and why does parking need to be affordable?

Also, when Curls says "affordable," I'll bet she means, "free."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

“People don’t want to pay an arm and leg for parking,” she said.

But they will. See any Sunday in the fall at Arrowhead Stadium for proof.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

justin8216 wrote: However, he said the city’s control of a significant amount of parking should help stabilize prices.
Awesome! So I get to pay for people's parking!
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

bahua wrote: Awesome! So I get to pay for people's parking!
Boondoggle's are awesome...
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

The city NEEDS to install a parking garage sign system that is large and easy to recognize. That is the only way. Without that it will be a "failure" after the first impression.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

eliphar17 wrote: The city NEEDS to install a parking garage sign system that is large and easy to recognize. That is the only way. Without that it will be a "failure" after the first impression.
Run the MAX for free during/after Sprint Center events for the first couple months. Let people know they can park anywhere from Waldo to the River Market and easily get to his/her car.
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

I'm not convinced everyone is a moron in this city. People will figure it out... eventually. The trick is to make the area exciting enough so that people want to get off of their lazy asses and explore the area. I think we now have a critical mass of attractions coming online to provide that.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

K.C.Highrise wrote: I'm not convinced everyone is a moron in this city. People will figure it out... eventually. The trick is to make the area exciting enough so that people want to get off of their lazy asses and explore the area. I think we now have a critical mass of attractions coming online to provide that.
It's just an issue of being uneducated. We've spent billions of dollars getting rid of surface parking lots only so people can compare our "new downtown" to the Legends. The American experience has been dumbed down. You must have 50-foot tall Taco Bell signs, freeway architecture, and massive parking lagoons everywhere for suburbanites to feel comfortable.

Honestly, I bet most people will think downtown should be something you can park in front of a store or building, go in, and drive home. It's like the expectation is that everyone should be able to park right on top of the Sprint Center, go in, and drive home. Urban Planning 101...
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

People are lazy.  I had lunch with a buddy yesterday when I was downtown and found out that he hardly even eats lunch downtown.  They drive to Johnson County a couple times a week for lunch....even fast food like Taco Bell, which has a place in City Center Square.  I thought it was completely retarded and I was pretty disappointed that despite working down here a couple of years, he did and knew very little about what was going on downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCFan wrote: People are lazy.  I had lunch with a buddy yesterday when I was downtown and found out that he hardly even eats lunch downtown.  They drive to Johnson County a couple times a week for lunch....even fast food like Taco Bell, which has a place in City Center Square.  I thought it was completely retarded and I was pretty disappointed that despite working down here a couple of years, he did and knew very little about what was going on downtown.
ugh. if he was driving somewhere for something unique i might not have vomited in my morning coffee.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: Run the MAX for free during/after Sprint Center events for the first couple months. Let people know they can park anywhere from Waldo to the River Market and easily get to his/her car.

yeah... why doesn't the ATA do promotional fares to generate interest during such events (show your ticket stub for a 50 cent ride)? it's not like it's costing them any additional money to run the buses they're already running.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: ugh. if he was driving somewhere for something unique i might not have vomited in my morning coffee.
Yeah...I don't know why but that really bothers me. Driving to JoCo from the city for fast food on your lunch break? Please shoot me in the head if I ever get to that point.