OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by DTO »

The new design sure is differant. The part I thought was cool was the inside with the double-decking of the suites and having them all in the middle. Just like another arena I know. ;) And if I'm looking at it right does the arena open up to the concourse in the upper bowl end of this picture? It looks like there isn't a wall there.

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

They are going to ned some big shades to block off that much glass. I hadn't noticed how it was so open before. Like a building in a building, I like it even more now.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

One thing that I just noticed today is the street level glass is completely clear.  It is kind of a vestige of the old design.  I like this touch, and think it does a good job of demarcating the street from the rest of the structure.

KCDowntown
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat
Administrator
kcskyscrapers is my life

[Agree] [Disagree]

Personal Text Here

Re: Sprint Center Renderings
« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2005, 05:53:10 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks.  Good information.  Does something like a circus that stretches multiple dates get counted as one event or as # of events as there are days?

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join the Downtown Neighborhood Association Today!

KCP, in the past 5 days of the circus would count as five event days.  I was not part of the team that developed this budget so I do not know how they measured their numbers.  However, for the entire complex that could be a right number of events - not event days.  For the most part the private manager has added events in the buildings other than Kemper.  One major event they have added in Kemper was the Outlaws and now they are gone.
Also, when counting event days in Kemper there are about 25 event days for the American Royal which would not be moving to the Sprint-Nextel Arena.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the outlaw dates will be sucked up by a much better event......our new arena football team.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The people on this thread are out of their minds.

When you compare the exterior of this arena to what I've seen in Oklahoma City, Minneapolis, and St. Louis...it is a gem. And I'm also agreeing more and more with Leiweke that the inside is the most important part. At this point, the arena's exterior doesn't look like a disaster which is par for the course with almost every single arena I've ever seen.

Maybe it's good we didn't give them more money so they could've made the exterior look like some ugly, intrusive UFO as you'll see in every other city. Something about it makes me want to keep on investigating what is going on with the exterior...and there is something interesting going on. It reminds me of something you'd see in Barcelona or Munich as an Olympic Arena. It has a world feel to it.

=D>  to Holl for the Nelson and HOK for this. You are making Kansas City an interesting place for architecture whether people know it or not. The amount of discussion on the design of this arena is proof positive they have suceeded in providing a good design.
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu May 26, 2005 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Re: glass color.  I'm not sure that the yellow glass is an actual design element. I think its just for contrast on the picture. They've not even settled on the exterior building materials yet, so I am sure that the final color, if any, of the glass has been chosen.  I think we need to look at the overall design, not the tiny details that may just be for artistic purposes.

The overall "soft pillow" design is pretty cool.  How that would be pulled off with a variety of materials and colors can make or break it.  I'm not sure I'd want a material that is too highly colored, like the Block or the Star building. They are a dramatic green.  I tink I'd rather see a more neutral glass color, with any accent colors maybe done by lighting, which could change depending on the event. Or even changing colored lighting, like the P&L building. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

trailerkid wrote: =D> to Holl for the Nelson and HOK for this. You are making Kansas City an interesting place for architecture whether people know it or not. The amount of discussion on the design of this arena is proof positive they have suceeded in providing a good design.
Absolutely.  Whether everyone thinks it's ugly or that it rocks your face off, people won't have trouble remembering which arena Kansas City has. 
Caycee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Caycee »

That arena gets uglier with every new rendering.
CrossroadsKid
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CrossroadsKid »

I really like the new design.  When I first saw the ufo shaped building, I was really disappointed and I couldn't imagine "scaling" that back would produce something that I really do like, but it did.  Hopefully they will engineer it such a way that the lights could be added at a later date.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DTO wrote: The new design sure is differant. The part I thought was cool was the inside with the double-decking of the suites and having them all in the middle. Just like another arena I know. ;) And if I'm looking at it right does the arena open up to the concourse in the upper bowl end of this picture? It looks like there isn't a wall there.

It does look as if the end of the bowl might open up to a concourse.  That is one design I would really Like, although during day events that need a darker setting, that may mean blocking those and then having drapes or something come down, which could cause some slowdown of estimated seating times.  Overall that open look would be very UNIQUE.  Could you possibly imagine seeing a buzzer beating shot while standing up there....it would be a much more festive atmosphere.  Something like the black hole in oakland, but up higher.  Somewhere that you could stand around and have a drink, without having a rich snob yell at you for gettin in their view.  I like the idea of that.  I dont know if Ive ever seen any arena with an opening like that...it would resemble an outfield at a baseball stadium.  Very nice feature they should consider for the final design.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

When I first saw this cut away and noticed the open spaces on the tops both over the skyboxes and in the ends, my immediate guess was that they had designed this such that additional nose bleed tiers could be built in at a later date. 
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

Could you possibly imagine seeing a buzzer beating shot while standing up there....
One of my suggestions on the DADT's website was to have councourses set up where you could look inside the bowl of the arena. I think I'll charge em a consultant's fee!    :)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: When I first saw this cut away and noticed the open spaces on the tops both over the skyboxes and in the ends, my immediate guess was that they had designed this such that additional nose bleed tiers could be built in at a later date. 
I think the idea is to have it so you can see Downtown KC/P+L from the inside of the arena.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

mizzou arena has open concurses at either end.  it is real sweet, and a feature that i personlly like a lot.  oh, and it was designed by the same folks (HOK i beleive).  i'd say that open end concourses should be expected in the final design.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

im2kull wrote:
It does look as if the end of the bowl might open up to a concourse.  That is one design I would really Like, although during day events that need a darker setting, that may mean blocking those and then having drapes or something come down, which could cause some slowdown of estimated seating times.  Overall that open look would be very UNIQUE.  Could you possibly imagine seeing a buzzer beating shot while standing up there....it would be a much more festive atmosphere.  Something like the black hole in oakland, but up higher.  Somewhere that you could stand around and have a drink, without having a rich snob yell at you for gettin in their view.  I like the idea of that.  I dont know if Ive ever seen any arena with an opening like that...it would resemble an outfield at a baseball stadium.  Very nice feature they should consider for the final design.
I can think of one. Anyone care to guess who. :D

If they do drape it those would be some huge drapes. Does that end face east or west.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I might be asking a dumb question but in the nightime picture is that glass actually going to look like that or is that just for us to see what is on the inside?
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

KansasCityCraka wrote: I might be asking a dumb question but in the nightime picture is that glass actually going to look like that or is that just for us to see what is on the inside?
That's a good question. I wish they'd give more information about the apparent color and transparency variations.
A fool and your money are soon united.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Also looking at this picture some more it looks like there aren't any seats above the boxes on the left side. It doesn't look like there is a section there at all.

Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

DTO wrote: Also looking at this picture some more it looks like there aren't any seats above the boxes on the left side. It doesn't look like there is a section there at all.
The seats are there, but they are foreshortened in the image.
A fool and your money are soon united.