OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kansasfarmboy

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by kansasfarmboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:have you asked those questions?

We'll see how much these industries fight....I doubt they will find any money to form much of an organized opposition...when it comes down to it the demand for cars or hotels in KCMO will not be decreased by these "fees". In fact their demand will most likely go up as a new arena brings in more big time events.
Yes, questions were stated previously.
Will the City's commitment be limited?
Who is responsible for cost overruns?
Will the City be responsible for operational shortages?
Will the City be able to share in arena profits - if any?
See page 22 for more detail.

I would hope something "this HUGELY touted" would attract something REALLY BIG! even bigger than mentioned.

If this passes, and again I Hope it does not. I would hope that the thing could attract something along the lines of an AMEX show , trade shows NaMA , (national automated merchandising association) vending trade shows , they USED to be here in the 70s but they will not come here any more mostly due to the hotel situation. Last 2 years it has been in vegas 18 previous years it was in Indiana, and minneapolis.

However thats not the only ones I would think and want it to attract , now these would be totally in the OFF dates as these types of things are generally not in A sports season and generate HUGE profits for cities, these people drink huge amounts , rent best hotels, limos ,taxis,

comdex- (computer shows)

Kansas city has none of these currently to speak of at least nothing more than on a local scale the only thing close was a small computer show that was held in overland park.

and then there is automotive related shows not car shows , but parts manufacturers shows these to are HUGE revenue producers as they relate to salesmen/women and lots of them who drink a lot and contribute to the nightlife and entertainment industries but not here at least not for a long time.

THe last vending related show moved out of kc 4 years ago it had been held here for the last 15 years some years in OP some years in municipal, they were food distributors for vending purposes they were generally 2 days long and drew 3-5 thousand people from out of town .... they left because of same , lack of hotels to high rental fees for kcs arenas. they now are held in chicago at the mcormick place because it can be divided up and the pricing for rental is based on space rented which from what I understand is not an option when you rent municipal its all or nothing.

With regards to the opposition, generally those in favor of increases in taxes, no matter what kind, spend more funds than those against the taxes. And those against the taxes win their fair share of elections. Barnes does have a sells job on her hands and may depend on other ballot issues in August that will bring out the voters, such as the same sex marriage issue.

Concerning more "big time" events I do not see these events making much difference in the overall picture in KC for these industries. Mostly these events, in total, will be once a year. Now, if the arena has 3 to 4 new "big time" events a year that may be a different story. My definition of "big time" events is NCAA or Big 12 tournaments. Concerts do not qualify since they do not generate many hotel rooms or car rentals. Even religious crusades are not "big time" events since they generally attract locals and many out-of-towners will drive and stay in peoples homes.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

kfb, why are you ALWAYS opposed to things like this? Do you want KC to suffer? Or do you want us to stay a 450k city? I have bad news for you, not matter how much you oppose, Kansas Citians will approve mostly everything.
KC is getting larger and larger, we will have 500,000 people by 2010 and possibly near 700,000 by 2030 (my personal guess would be 2050).
If you don't move to Kansas, then you will live in a town surrounded by dense residential areas.
May I also mention that Gladstone will benefit from things that will/are going in at Kansas City?

It doesn't matter if you have to raise taxes for one or two years for an arena, that is just one or two years! Who cares if the car rental places move out of KC to neighboring suburbs? With the arena, and with everything else that WILL go downtown, KC will get larger and denser and downtown will become more and more crowded.

You seem to ignore the fact that Kansas City is one of the cities with some of the lowest tax rates in the United States! You obviously haven't been to New York City. It is VERY large (of course) and has much higher taxes than Kansas City does, and it keeps growing. You must realise it is inevitable that Kansas City will grow. If you want away from Kansas City, then you better move out to somewhere in Kansas because Gladstone will be surrounded by more housing developments in Kansas City.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

akp....I meant have you asked them to people outside an internet message board?

If you don't think religious crusades bring them in, check out the billy graham thing....it's almost a citywide (sellout). Big 12 and NCAA won't come back w/o the arena so there are 2 events....concerts do draw some from out of the area but I agree, not a great deal.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I rent a car from Enterprise every week. I am perfectly happy to pay the additional fees in order to support the arena. I made that clear to the folks at Enterprise when I rented my car on Monday, and saw a sign in their office opposing the fee.

KFB has an unhealthy obsession with making sure that KC fails in everything. He'll search and post anything and everything he can find to paint the city in a negative light. He is simply incapable of acknowledging anything positive about the city.

Plus, the man simply cannot type a message without using entirely too many capital letters. I hope, for the sake of all those people who are involved in whatever it is he is filing down at the Federal courthouse, he is not the one doing the typing. They'll be in serious trouble.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The fact that kfb would ask to have this forum shut down as a wager for a bet is proof that his only interest is in discouraging the positive energy that exists here. KFB, please tell me how shutting this down would benefit you? If you are really here to have your opinion heard, you'd lose that venue.

It isn't about having your opinion heard, though, is it? It is about being as negative as possible and trying to discourage this board. We're a large group of excited and dedicated KC enthusiasts and, for some reason, that just bothers the shit out of you.

I agree with KCP. Your dissent is more than welcome and gives a better perspective, but more often than not it is useless. Baseless comments about how you'll never set foot in Bartle or an arena are useless and only solidify your status as a fanatical hater. It'd be okay if you were selfish, but you aren't even that -- you just get your jollies on failure.

I stopped ignoring you because I was tired of guessing what people were responding to your comments with. I encourage the entire forum to not let the typically negative comments of KFB overly sway the discussion. He isn't saying anything earth-shattering and he is obviously flame-baiting many of the times.

Seriously, guys, what do you expect? A new tax with no opposition? The targeted industry to say "okay, thats cool"? Of course this came out. This was absolutely expected. I'm sure Barnes wasn't stupid enough to think she could just propose taxes and that nobody would say anything.

The tax will pass. Will it pass with 100% support. No. Of course not. We're pointing out some dissenters. How earth-shattering.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCDevin wrote:kfb, why are you ALWAYS opposed to things like this? Do you want KC to suffer? Or do you want us to stay a 450k city? I have bad news for you, not matter how much you oppose, Kansas Citians will approve mostly everything.
KC is getting larger and larger, we will have 500,000 people by 2010 and possibly near 700,000 by 2030 (my personal guess would be 2050).
If you don't move to Kansas, then you will live in a town surrounded by dense residential areas.
May I also mention that Gladstone will benefit from things that will/are going in at Kansas City?

It doesn't matter if you have to raise taxes for one or two years for an arena, that is just one or two years! Who cares if the car rental places move out of KC to neighboring suburbs? With the arena, and with everything else that WILL go downtown, KC will get larger and denser and downtown will become more and more crowded.

You seem to ignore the fact that Kansas City is one of the cities with some of the lowest tax rates in the United States! You obviously haven't been to New York City. It is VERY large (of course) and has much higher taxes than Kansas City does, and it keeps growing. You must realise it is inevitable that Kansas City will grow. If you want away from Kansas City, then you better move out to somewhere in Kansas because Gladstone will be surrounded by more housing developments in Kansas City.

2 years ? Yes I have been to new york,La, and many other places , KC simply doesnt have what it takes to offer to tourists and 700,000 by 2050 ?

Maybe, most likely , sure why not, but what does kc have to offer ?

Never mind ,,, I give up you win...

Like KC said as long as it doesnt cost ME a dime , hey Im happy life is good , im just kickin back and relaxing let KC do what it wants , as long as they are out of my pocket and property taxes.

I give , Your right , you win, Im wrong, Kc is #1 the royals are going all the way , and 39th and prospect will be a Thriving industry area real soon..

I need a DRINK and its not even noon!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kfb, seriously, what is up? Life is way too short man, come on, live a little and cheer up.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote:
If you don't think religious crusades bring them in, check out the billy graham thing....it's almost a citywide (sellout). Big 12 and NCAA won't come back w/o the arena so there are 2 events....concerts do draw some from out of the area but I agree, not a great deal.
My comment about religious meetings was not meant to imply that they do not attract a large number of people but the type of people that come are not ones that generally pump up a local economy. Many are locals and those that come from out-of-town tend to drive and stay in homes of relatives or friends not hotels.

The Big 12 and NCAA type of events may occur once a year, just three or four days total. Therefore not necessarily a boom for car rental companies and hotels compared to events that happen on a more frequest basis.

In other words hotels, motels, and car rental companies will not benefit greatly from the type of events that normally occur in a sports arena. The industries may not be against the principal of an arena, just how the place is being financed. Sorta of like taxation without representation, instead it is taxation without benefit.

And just so you don't call me negative I am not dead set against the proposal. Just trying to raise issues and questions and hopefully the project is improved because of the issues and questions asked. These are items I feel that many voters will raise and what answers to. I don't believe that we should take Barnes on just her word that everything will be just fine.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

by citywide sellout I meant the hotels are soldout citywide.

The arena will bring in more tourists...how many more is not really known at this point, I agree.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Are the hotels sold out because of the Billy Graham Crusade or is there other events going on, such as a convention in Bartle?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm sure there are some smaller convention....always one going on....nothing else big I don't think. I think this billy graham thing is the exception not the rule though....

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote:I'm sure there are some smaller convention....always one going on....nothing else big I don't think. I think this billy graham thing is the exception not the rule though....
agreed. BG Crusade is an exception to the rule and not a normal religious gathering.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I'm sure there are some smaller convention....always one going on....nothing else big I don't think. I think this billy graham thing is the exception not the rule though....
agreed. BG Crusade is an exception to the rule and not a normal religious gathering.

I wonder if the people that picket billy graham , that dude in topeka Phelps, do they count as people that contribute when BG comes

I seen them on tv , saying that billy graham is going to hell , etc, and showing signs of billy graham in a hole in a ground and they said they are going to picket........

whats up with all that ?
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Everybody visit ShowMe's link above....it's a site where the citizens can request what they want in the new downtown arena.

Very proactive step by these companies...very nice.

Once again the site is:

http://www.yourkcarena.com/

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Well it's officialy going to be on the Aug. 3rd ballot:

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily38.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Obviously this site is advocating a YES vote

any way anybody thinks to get the word out will be used

TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

Money, get back.
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack.
Money, it's a hit.
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit.
I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet.
"ALWAYS be closing"
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Food for thought on a possible downtown arena.

I am sure other downtown arenas accommodate these types of events quite well but how the Sprint Center handles these events may affect how the arena and/or surrounding area looks. Other shows may have some similiar needs.

Ringling Brothers Circus
Currently the circus travels by a mile long train. Performers and workers travel and live on the train. Kemper Arena can support this event very well because of its surroundings. The train stays on tracks within walking distance of the arena and the animals stay in the Governors' Building. Can the train stay anywhere close to 14th and Grand? Where can the animals be maintained?

Concerts
Some concerts can have up to 15 semi trucks of staging, lights, sound equipment, etc. plus busses. At Kemper these trucks and busses can park on the grounds.What can the area around Sprint Center offer?

Guess one solution would be to have one or two blocks of surface parking next to the arena. Won't accommodate the train but the animals, trucks, and busses. This would require that the surface area be by the so-called back door to the arena. Would the back door face Grand or to the South? The North? I am assuming that the front door, or main entrance, would be facing KC Live across Grand.

Just trying to bring more discussion into this subject.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Once unloaded, those trucks don't have to stay immediately surrounding the arena. I'd assume the trucks could pull up several at a time and then move on to a parking area anywhere. This is probably how they are unloaded anyway.

I'd like to know what show use 15 semis. I've been to somewhere around 10 Dave Matthews Band shows, and I've seen 2 semis and a 2 busses, at most, and they have one of the most complex light shows around. Perhaps you could get another truck or two to do some fancy special effects and gimmickry, but 15 is pure hyperbole.

There are large arenas in other dense areas that seem to handle these things just fine.