OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by KCPowercat »

this is not good. Not enough to beat it though.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

trailerkid wrote:From the Biz Journal....
==============================================================
Hotel group's head balks at downtown arena taxes

Not everyone is on board with Kansas City Mayor Kay Barnes' arena financing plan.

Tom Holden, executive director of the Hotel and Lodging Association of Greater Kansas City, said Wednesday that his organization opposes the hotel and rental car taxes that will help pay for a new $250 million arena.

"They didn't ask for the hotel industry association's input," said Holden, whose organization represents the interests of 131 area hotels.

The mayor's plan calls for a $1.50-a-night tax on hotel rooms and a $4-a-day tax on rental cars. Fifty cents of the rental car tax will finance an organization charged with marketing the city as a tourism destination.

Holden said the extra charges will make Kansas City's hotels among the nation's highest-taxed. He said he worries that the current 14.5 percent hotel tax will approach San Antonio's 17 percent hotel tax -- the nation's highest.

"We're just starting to come out of this recession," he said. "I hate to see anything come up that would scare away any piece of business."

Holden said he will present his position Wednesday at City Hall during public testimony about the arena plan. Barnes has set a deadline of Friday for the City Council to put the hotel and rental car fee ordinance on the Aug. 3 ballot.

Holden said that he supported the idea of an arena and applauded the mayor's vision but that he would like to see the burden spread out.

Business leaders, such as Pete Levi, president of the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, have said that the plan actually helps the area hotels by attracting visitors to the city.

© 2004 American City Business Journals Inc.

I was going to post something similar to this story however , with the actual regional enterprise rentacar franchise owner , Mr McGinnis (ch 9 news 6pm) who stated that 78 percent of his business of renting cars is FROM LOCAL PEOPLE... is he lying ? He said it on the news ....

Kc Hotel association promises to vehmently fight the arena tax. or they feel that rooms will top 65 a night got motel 6 the total tax on rental cars in KCMO (not the whole area) is already 6th in the nation according to mcginnis, who states that if this passes it will make KC 3rd in the nation. and He VOWS to do EXACTLY what KFB stated ,,,, MOVE to the suburbs Just outside by feet if neccesary. enough NOT to pay the tax.

I TOLD YOU SO!

And if you think this is ANTI thread , and you want to move it , I didnt post it first , stop treating my posts because you do not like the truth,as though they have the PLAGUE.

Its not my fault kc is plagued by 100 years of graft and corruption that shows NO signs of letting up

tax and spend ,,, kcs way of doing business..
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCPowercat wrote:this is not good. Not enough to beat it though.

And that SIR , is YOUR opinion..... THe Kc Hotel restauraunt association does have some teeth , not as much as they used to but still SOME.

As far as US having a discussion, are you trying to , show me whos BOSS in public ? I am entitled to my opinion . If you want a discussion about arena nonsense thats ALL positve call it

official kc arena Forum Flowers and cream and everythings nice stick our head in the sand forum..No negative posting

then those who oppose it

official forum discussion those who HATE it and dont want to lose their business forum ALL negative

Or you can allow give and take by all in the main one ... but I dont think you want that ...

Because folks are starting to come up with some very valid points as to why the arena current financing proposals are Inherently FLAWED and will leave tax payers of KCMO holding the BAG once again just like union station, 18th and vine, On and On and On and On and On ,,,,, just where does it end a Bolshevic communist city ?
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Hotel, Car Rental Businesses Voice Opposition To Arena Funding Plan
Mayor Unfazed By Dissent

POSTED: 6:28 pm CDT May 19, 2004
UPDATED: 6:37 pm CDT May 19, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The first serious opposition to a new downtown arena in Kansas City emerged on Wednesday, KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reported.

Mayor Kay Barnes wants to pay for the arena partly by raising the nightly hotel tax in the city by $1.50 per night, and raising the car rental tax by $4. But the people who run car rental agencies, along with the city's hotel association aren't pleased by the idea.

Dan Collins, who owns Payless Car Rental, said the increase will have a big effect on his business.

"It's a huge percentage. It's not $4, it's probably closer to 35 percent," Collins said.

Collins, along with other car rental agency representatives met to discuss the arena funding plan. Some boosters suggest voters will approve the tax increase because it will be paid largely by out-of-towners. But Tony McGinnis, who runs Enterprise Car Rentals in the area, said that's not the case.

"At my nine Kansas City, Mo., stores, more than 70 percent of my business comes from local residents," he said.

The car rental companies say Kansas City's taxes and fees add 48 percent to their basic charge -- giving the city the sixth highest car rental rate in America before the new charges.

Almost all of the car rental people said they favor building a new arena -- but not by taxing their businesses. Other say the new arena will generate so much business for the city, the higher fees won't be a factor.

Barnes attended the hearing on Wednesday and said she wants the taxes on a ballot later this year. After the hearing, she said she remains convinced her approach is the right one.

The City Council will likely vote on Thursday to put the arena tax increases on the Aug. 3 ballot, putting the decision in voters' hands.

Previous Story:
May 12, 2004: Mayor Announces Plans For New Downtown Arena
Copyright 2004 by TheKansasCityChannel.com

Well Now isnt that just a PUNCH to the FACE

VOTE NO, keep money in your WALLET you will be glad you did when this thing starts collapsing in on itself just like KCPL Light district DID..
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

kansasfarmboy wrote: VOTE NO, keep money in your WALLET you will be glad you did when this thing starts collapsing in on itself just like KCPL Light district DID..
Uhm, yeah, since I always rent cars and hotel rooms here in KC. With all the hype and excitement surrounding the announcement of the new arena there is no way this doesn't pass. Sorry.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

WoodDraw wrote:
kansasfarmboy wrote: VOTE NO, keep money in your WALLET you will be glad you did when this thing starts collapsing in on itself just like KCPL Light district DID..
Uhm, yeah, since I always rent cars and hotel rooms here in KC. With all the hype and excitement surrounding the announcement of the new arena there is no way this doesn't pass. Sorry.

Thats Cool Bro,,, Please , DONT take my word for it ,,, NO one here , does , and I dont want them too...

I ask you to WAIT and see....

In fact ,,,,, Why doesnt everyone here do this , if your afforded the chance to vote on this either on the aug 3rd vote OR bi state 2, Please post your vote here for posterity ..

that way when it succeeds I can , Bow down before you tell you how wrong I was and Beg your forgiveness....

Or if it collapses UNTO itself , you can refer to my above statements , And tell me all the thousands of ways I was Still wrong which you will because you wont accept responsibility but YOU WILL feel the Lightness of your wallet and hear the LAUGHS of those from other cities all over the united states who will call the arena project ,,,, { oh you mean KCPL district II} where they public got repeatedly fleeced and yet again voted for it ... and will be paying for empty lots for 20 years ?

DOnt like what your hearing Im sorry ,,, IGNORE ME. these , are my OPINIONS!! not facts by any stretch....

BTW..... The state workers are already rumbling to Holden about parking and losing all 4 lots they have for the 13th and cherry buildings
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As far as US having a discussion, are you trying to , show me whos BOSS in public ? I am entitled to my opinion . If you want a discussion about arena nonsense thats ALL positve call it
Was this directed at me? I always let you state your opinion and have fought for you against almost every member who has begged me to can you because I think you do bring a good other side...although I think if you calmed down and thought out your posts, people would get a lot more out of them.

How can a person w/o anything riding on this vote care so much?

I'd be willing to place a little wager on the vote...would you do the same? Not money or anything.

kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

As to why I care, I ONLY care if it effects, MY POCKET... and if its BI-STATE and involves Clay county it effects MY pocket that would be why I care

ANd I thank you for defending my right to free speech , even though

1- its your FOrum
2- People constantly WHINE to you to can me
3- THey Hound you day and night

I was not taking a shot at you , merely making SURE everyone here knows where I stand and where I stand cannot be swayed. If they hate me , so be it at least we all will know!!!

I dont like unspoken kindness or hatred thats what a forum is all about , OPEN DISCUSSION

COmmunism DOesnt have forums, well they do but they are persuaded by cracked skulls

Now about your wager ? Lets hear what you propose and ill counter or acceppt
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My thought was the vote passes, you leave the forum, it fails I close down the whole message board.

but I've rethought it....as unpopular as your opinion is and it HAS cost me MULTIPLE great users, I don't like making people leave, so probably no bet.

This forum still reserves the right to move anything if it's viewed as flamebait...it may be a valid opinion but just posting things to piss people off isn't any fun for anybody. There isn't "free speech" necessarily on a private message board....it's open communications as long as all are respectful and their opinions are thoughtout and not just trying to piss people off....please remember that.

kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

the only , problem is..... you told me you might close it any way.... so what do you have to lose /? Ill take the bet if your really willing to GIVE.

I suspect some PANSIES here have given YOU the ultimatum. Either can me or they leave ,,, give it a couple weeks they will be back ... they always come back.

But be that as it may...... Here is my COUNTER OFFER

If it passes I will leave and Say how completely wrong I am AND leave

If it FAILS... You close the board..... AND you admit to everyone what a Truly terrible town KC is , and that it has stolen, and stolen until they cannot steal any more.... and you close the board NOT make it private,rename it, sell the name , give the name software or other server to someone else you just close it up PERMANENTLY
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kansasfarmboy wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:150? I think Kemper right now is about 225...

.....let's not forget the national college basketball hall of fame will be there on nights the arena is dark
No way is Kemper used 225 dates a year - the whole complex maybe but not Kemper alone. Comets 20. American Royal 30. Dirt Shows (maybe) 15. Concerts 15. Circus 6. Ice Show 5. Big 12 (when there) 4. NCAA (when there) 2. Globetrotters 1. UMKC league tournament (when there) 4-5. Don't believe I am missing 125 event dates.

And like, WOW, the hall of fame will bring thousands every night. Just like the Jazz and Negro Leagues museums do. And don't forget Union Station.

are you including, Truck-asaurus, and monster truck racing ? How about the BMX racing where they truck in all that dirt and have 4 days of , Mayhem , mayhem ,mayhem , so much smoke they have to put pipes overthe tractors pulling to pull the smoke out ? DIRT SHOWS 15 DATES then there was CHER, and CELINE dion CONCERTS. The Pleasure seekers , I mean promise keepers EVENTS LIKE THIS DO NOT TOTAL 125 DATES, MORE LIKE 25 TO 30... but maybe you counted all ofthat under the "concert heading".

If Bi state II passes, i know one restaraunt that will SLAM its doors for good down there
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kfb...I've had passing thought of closing it but I never really would. Nobody has given me any kind of ultimatium...I just notice some that posted more don't any more...could just be by chance. Like I said, I don't run anybody off so I'm not putting the bet out there....and in no way would a vote failing make me think this is a horrible city so I would just be lying.

I have no doubt it will pass...either way I guess you really have nothing to lose...you want the city to fail and you benefit from a new arena w/o having to pay a dime....nice situation to be in.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote:You are negative on this issue but hey, that's your right. Arenas w/o major tenants can have just as many dates full as an NHL/NBA team would give with similiar attendance...there is a reason cities can make more off arenas w/o an NBA or NHL tenant in there.

This is being done right....AEG isn't putting cash into a foolish plan..that should be the most comforting to you.

alright, later....it's late and I can't keep this conversation going for 3 more pages...I'm sure nobody will read this much about one topic as it is.

Good talk. =D>
Well, KCPowercat, would you rather discuss with me or with KansasFarmBoy? Anyway, it looks like what I posted earlier about the Hotel/Motel Association objecting to the tax was correct. Missed on the restuarant tax though. Looks like the car rental companies may have a problem with it also. Barnes should have covered her bases with these people before pushing the taxes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree, should have talked to these groups first but this is nothing but a little fit because they didn't get asked....get over it...don't be so shortsighted. They can complain all they want but this is going to the voters and no doubt it will pass. remember most housekeepers can't vote.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I know it is up to the voters and it will probably pass. However, this can either be a small bump in the road or a dead end. Will know in August.

And as recently said, although I prefer another location I do believe it will pass. And I will support it if my questions previously stated are answered to my satisfaction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

have you asked those questions?

We'll see how much these industries fight....I doubt they will find any money to form much of an organized opposition...when it comes down to it the demand for cars or hotels in KCMO will not be decreased by these "fees". In fact their demand will most likely go up as a new arena brings in more big time events.

kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCPowercat wrote:kfb...I've had passing thought of closing it but I never really would. Nobody has given me any kind of ultimatium...I just notice some that posted more don't any more...could just be by chance. Like I said, I don't run anybody off so I'm not putting the bet out there....and in no way would a vote failing make me think this is a horrible city so I would just be lying.

I have no doubt it will pass...either way I guess you really have nothing to lose...you want the city to fail and you benefit from a new arena w/o having to pay a dime....nice situation to be in.
Official Notice (Flame Bait Proofed)

If it does pass
If the arean is built entirely as shown
If it is the most succesfull arean in the entire USA

I would not benefit, and would be glad I didnt pay a dime. I would NEVER attend ANY event at the arena. NOTHING. So it doesnt and wont benefit me personally ONE BIT.

EVEN if they had the WORLD Camaro Z-28 convention, super chevy weekend there I would NOT take any of my show cars there even if offered $$$ and all entrance fees,taxes,double taxes,triple taxes, KC AIR BREATHING tax,Food triple tax, And any HIDDEN union station taxes WAIVED... I would stay HOME or take my trailer with whichever showcar I intended to get ready to Omaha ,Or Knoxville Iowa , RATHER than take it downtown where something will suredly get stolen,broken or attempted stolen!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

even if you never go there, it is proven throughout the country that a successful downtown raises property values in the burbs faster than unsuccessful downtown (source: Mend our Broken Hearts, KC Star)

It won't cost you a dime either way so smile :D Life is good.

kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:I know it is up to the voters and it will probably pass. However, this can either be a small bump in the road or a dead end. Will know in August.

And as recently said, although I prefer another location I do believe it will pass. And I will support it if my questions previously stated are answered to my satisfaction.
If KC politics PAST is any Guide (He who forgets history is DOOMED to repeat it) and I believe it is ... Your questions will go un answered UNTIL the tax is passed then any lie they want to RAM down your throat will have to DO... because its to late..... the wallets are fleeced (except mine that is ) I refuse to give 1 MILL to Kc, I used to only say a dime, but now its a MILL.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote:have you asked those questions?

We'll see how much these industries fight....I doubt they will find any money to form much of an organized opposition...when it comes down to it the demand for cars or hotels in KCMO will not be decreased by these "fees". In fact their demand will most likely go up as a new arena brings in more big time events.
Yes, questions were stated previously.
Will the City's commitment be limited?
Who is responsible for cost overruns?
Will the City be responsible for operational shortages?
Will the City be able to share in arena profits - if any?
See page 22 for more detail.

With regards to the opposition, generally those in favor of increases in taxes, no matter what kind, spend more funds than those against the taxes. And those against the taxes win their fair share of elections. Barnes does have a sells job on her hands and may depend on other ballot issues in August that will bring out the voters, such as the same sex marriage issue.

Concerning more "big time" events I do not see these events making much difference in the overall picture in KC for these industries. Mostly these events, in total, will be once a year. Now, if the arena has 3 to 4 new "big time" events a year that may be a different story. My definition of "big time" events is NCAA or Big 12 tournaments. Concerts do not qualify since they do not generate many hotel rooms or car rentals. Even religious crusades are not "big time" events since they generally attract locals and many out-of-towners will drive and stay in peoples homes.