OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by WoodDraw »

The announcement is coming tomorrow.
JerseyGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JerseyGuy »

WoodDraw wrote:The announcement is coming tomorrow.
I saw a news segment on Fox4 news that stated the mayor will make a morning announcement about the Arena.

Several points were made:

1. tax hike on hotels and on car rentals
2. the majority of the funds will come from private investment
3. the new site will be 14th and Grand as has been stated
4. plans will be announced for Kemper Arena as well
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Sales tax rates:

Independence: 6.85
KCK: 7.3
KCMO (Jackson portion): 7.35
Lee's Summit: 7.35
KCMO (Clay portion): 7.475
Overland Park: 7.53
Olathe: 7.53
KCMO (Platte portion): 7.975

*Missouri state portion of the above is 4.225
*Kansas state portion of the above is 5.3
*in Missouri subtract 3% for food purchases.

source: http://thinkkc.com/3_locating/3e_tax_pr ... _sales.htm
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

dangerboy wrote:KFB, it doesn't make sense to say that the city is driving out people like DiCappo when at the same time several new restaurants are opening all over the River Market and Crossroads areas. Obviously there are other people who think that the city is a good place to do business, otherwise they wouldn't be risking their money there. Many people are starting successful businesses under the same conditions that DiCappo is blaming for his problems.

Oh HELL restauraunts are like A-Holes ,,,, every one has one ...

For every restauraunt that opens

1st off--------- 2 will close
2nd -----------after one year every new restauraunt 50 percent will be OUT of business
3rd-- after 5 years 80% will be out of business

The food service industry Is a tough business, and it has nothing to do with Kansas city , thats nationwide and a stat from restauranter Magazine.

So Dont give me this nonsense that lots are opening in the river market area. Cascones down there fistfights every week to stay open, and I have see a DOZEN YES 1 DOZEN or MORE restauraunts come and go just down there.

That is one area I am very knowledgeable in.

The Only reason Mike Garozzo re opened ? DOnt believe that BS he said On television , to stay where it started, its because he was going to be investigated for ARSON. They didnt find the people that started the fire until after he already commited to re opening with insurance money, otherwise he would have bulldozed it to 2 vacant lots and stayed at his place in Johnson county which is going like gang busters.

And furthermore MY comments about restauraunts closing if new taxes come , is only relative to kc landmark restauraunts that I know the owners of who have been here 30,40,50 years ........and you can kiss ONE good by the very month a new tax passes that hits them ONLY in the belt ...im not going to name it , because I know the dude very well personally and He doesnt need anyone here calling and hasseling him

Kc Royals the OFFICIAL WORST team in BASEBALL!!
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

dangerboy wrote:Sales tax rates:

Independence: 6.85
KCK: 7.3
KCMO (Jackson portion): 7.35
Lee's Summit: 7.35
KCMO (Clay portion): 7.475
Overland Park: 7.53
Olathe: 7.53
KCMO (Platte portion): 7.975

*Missouri state portion of the above is 4.225
*Kansas state portion of the above is 5.3
*in Missouri subtract 3% for food purchases.

source: http://thinkkc.com/3_locating/3e_tax_pr ... _sales.htm
In kansas city , you are correct , on the sales tax however for restauraunts Hotels, they get PUNCHED in the balls with an additional few percent for the FAILURES they have been burdened with collecting for , convention and toutism , and bartle expansion , (this applies to KCMO only) KC was right it was 9.35 I said 9 3/4 I meant 9.34 but he was he was right KCMO restauraunts ONLY (hotels included) 9.34% add in bi state 2 and the HELP for union station if it passes PUNCH to their face for another 3 percent ....
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Star is saying that Phil Anshutz will be a big investor in the arena. He owns the Staples Center in LA and the Pepsi Center in Denver, as well as various teams and other sports and entertainment ventures.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

dangerboy wrote:Star is saying that Phil Anshutz will be a big investor in the arena. He owns the Staples Center in LA and the Pepsi Center in Denver, as well as various teams and other sports and entertainment ventures.

Also , (we will know after announcement) but 14th and grand will be a location for , arena

and they want to tax rental cars , I have NO problem with that one because ,I noticed we are one of the lowest in the nation there , you go to chicago or texas, houston to be specific by the time i got to the bottom of the list there it was over 17% in taxes and if you have them get you at the airport in chicago theres a straight buck they add to the bill , that is a great source of revenue... and by that i mean coming into line with other cities, not GOUGING the hell out of tourists ,especially here , in KC when when, there is NOT a lot ,comparitively speaking , to offer

However I am STILL against union station getting 2 MORE dips, in the tax till , one on a special vote and another on bistate II... one or the other NOT both unless they make the place a whole lote more attractive and remake the entire exhibit, add attractions even Banquet OR other space for group rental , so they can generate some of their OWN revenue.

Like the firm said that evaluated the 20 some odd exhibits and reported ONLY 4 are worthy of staying , the rest need to be scrapped or , completely made over. The season passes fell from triple digit sales to double *under 100* digit sales ,

We will see today what the Fair Ms Barnes has to say ..... if its PORK, its doomed. and they might have to order the plywood for union station... if she is REASONABLE maybe not
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

stay on the arena KFB, there are plenty of U.S. topics in here already.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

dangerboy wrote: The Only reason Mike Garozzo re opened ? DOnt believe that BS he said On television , to stay where it started, its because he was going to be investigated for ARSON. They didnt find the people that started the fire until after he already commited to re opening with insurance money, otherwise he would have bulldozed it to 2 vacant lots and stayed at his place in Johnson county which is going like gang busters.

!!
I thought they caught the individuals involved with this restaurant robbery. Weren't they the ones that were in a group that was caught trying to rob the Commerce Bank in Martin City?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I will pass on my judgement of Barnes's plan until the details come out. It does sound promising but it will be interesting how the taxpayers respond with their votes on the proposed taxes.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

WHB: 19,000 seats in arena...expandable to 32,000 seats.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

taxpayers have never rejected a hotel or rental car tax that I can remember....we don't pay those taxes except maybe a couple times a year....easy money

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

trailerkid wrote:WHB: 19,000 seats in arena...expandable to 32,000 seats.
Sounds like it will cost more than $250,000,000 if that is in the plan.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Announcement LIVE on Channel 2 KCCG & Metro Sports right NOW.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
dangerboy wrote: The Only reason Mike Garozzo re opened ? DOnt believe that BS he said On television , to stay where it started, its because he was going to be investigated for ARSON. They didnt find the people that started the fire until after he already commited to re opening with insurance money, otherwise he would have bulldozed it to 2 vacant lots and stayed at his place in Johnson county which is going like gang busters.

!!
I thought they caught the individuals involved with this restaurant robbery. Weren't they the ones that were in a group that was caught trying to rob the Commerce Bank in Martin City?
YES but not until MONTHS laster after Mike Garozzo had already inked the deal with the insurance co to rebuild, because they threatened him with arson investigation, which is normal in those situations, however they wouldnt push it , if he rebuilt... so he inked and started rebuilding then they caught john peterson and the others , while robbing a bank out south, and the one that got Run over by the police car in the field while listening to a scanner spilled the beans on where the bags were in a northland apartment , where they found burnt garozzo bags and reciepts under a bed.... Mike was SICK, and halfway into the rebuild , when completely cleared of arson , and couldnt stop construction cause he wouldnt get anything from the insurance...
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the announcement is being broadcast now on the kc govt page.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Arena announcement details that I've heard.....haven't seen the press conference until I get home tonight.

18,000-20,000 seat arena
$225-250M cost
24/7 destination?
Finished early 2007
AEG & Sprint in the mix
NABC giving $10M for a new hall of fame inside stadium

No general tax increase
$1.50/night hotel room tax
$3.50 car tax increase (I assume one time, not per day?)

Those 2 things should be on the August 3rd ballot.

No mention of it being expandable.

kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
trailerkid wrote:WHB: 19,000 seats in arena...expandable to 32,000 seats.
Sounds like it will cost more than $250,000,000 if that is in the plan.
Oh yeah , of course my good man... But like Most people on this forum say , that are pro KC,,,, "Projects and taxes are ALWAYS over budget, late and never completed at cost its expected and the taxpayers know it"

Of course thats not my thought ,,, i think it you vote in 250,000,000 then it shouldnt be 250,000,001 Or the DEAL IS OFF!! or the contractor EATS it...
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCPowercat wrote:Arena announcement details that I've heard.....haven't seen the press conference until I get home tonight.

18,000-20,000 seat arena
$225-250M cost
24/7 destination?
Finished early 2007
AEG & Sprint in the mix

No general tax increase
$1.50/night hotel room tax
$3.50 car tax increase (I assume one time, not per day?)

Those 2 things should be on the August 3rd ballot.

No mention of it being expandable.

What is NABC ? the Hall of Fame , I might go see that myself ...

However does anyone think that will POUND a nail into the Negro league museum, considering its in the red too, and threatening to close for a couple years now

I drove by there just tues last week , and there were 2 cars there both employees at 1pm
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

NABC is the National Association of Basketball Coaches and completely seperate from the Negro Leagues HoF which is doing fine.