T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 pm The entire entry process and number of entry points is the biggest need of that building. Scoreboard was upgraded a couple years ago.
I think they could change that a lot if they tore out the Missouri court of Appeals building on NW corner. That would make a nice secondary concourse/entrance area and would push more foot traffic to the future buildings on that side after a game or concert. Not sure why it wasn’t torn out during construction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fighting the state for a court house wasn't deemed prudent during construction.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:53 pm Fighting the state for a court house wasn't deemed prudent during construction.
Give the lawyers a suite and build them a new building down the street. They’d do it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Kathy Nelson saying T-Mobile Center is looking at June/July for their earliest events with fans.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Sprint Center opening day pictures

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 pm The entire entry process and number of entry points is the biggest need of that building. Scoreboard was upgraded a couple years ago.
The entry process is efficient with line times below the national standard. Have you had a bad experience?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:00 pm Kathy Nelson saying T-Mobile Center is looking at June/July for their earliest events with fans.
Accurate. Basically the entire events world is hoping to fire back up in June. That goes for other downtown venues as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:25 pm
The entry process is efficient with line times below the national standard. Have you had a bad experience?
It's always bad but big 12 is exceptionally bad. I don't go to a lot of arenas nationwide so maybe they all suck but this is the only arena this size I know of with such limited entry points so I can't imagine them being worse.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I had friends going to a concert and I think I brought them drinks like three times from my apartment it took so long to get in.

It's well known as being a horrible arena to get into.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:28 pm I had friends going to a concert and I think I brought them drinks like three times from my apartment it took so long to get in.

I think this may be a typical KC impatience situation. Same issue as “there’s no parking” downtown. Once doors are opened, it goes quickly and if you’re there in line hours before doors, that’s not on the process. Arena ingress isn’t about multiple points of entry as much as it is about consistent and efficient flow. Far different than stadium entry which requires several more points of entry.

15 minutes to get into a arena is considered great but I ensure you, Anything more than 8-10 minutes to some is “inconvenient”! If a quick entrance is priority, you can pay for it. Considering that’s an additional revenue stream for arenas.

I’ve certainly never heard of it being well known as a “horrible arena to get into” and I’ve been to nearly all of them unless they’re very very new.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:50 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:28 pm I had friends going to a concert and I think I brought them drinks like three times from my apartment it took so long to get in.

I think this may be a typical KC impatience situation. Same issue as “there’s no parking” downtown. Once doors are opened, it goes quickly and if you’re there in line hours before doors, that’s not on the process. Arena ingress isn’t about multiple points of entry as much as it is about consistent and efficient flow. Far different than stadium entry which requires several more points of entry.

15 minutes to get into a arena is considered great but I ensure you, Anything more than 8-10 minutes to some is “inconvenient”! If a quick entrance is priority, you can pay for it. Considering that’s an additional revenue stream for arenas.

I’ve certainly never heard of it being well known as a “horrible arena to get into” and I’ve been to nearly all of them unless they’re very very new.
Sounds just like everything else here. If it isn't immediate it is horrible and no one has experience outside of KC to know better.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It took almost two hours to get in lol

And kindly fuck off with the "kc doesn't know how things work" narrative. You don't know me and you sound like a fucking prick.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:40 am

And kindly fuck off with the "kc doesn't know how things work" narrative. You don't know me and you sound like a fucking prick.
You're not making your case very well either
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:37 am

I’m just offering anecdotal information. I lived right by it and with security it takes forever to get in for popular events. That’s the truth.

When people say I don’t know because Kc is different when I spend most of my time in countries that don’t know what crowd control is or in cities with far larger arenas, they sound like pretentious pricks.

Sprint has long struggled with big events. I’m not making this up.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What event? What time did you get there? What time were doors? If you waited in line for 2 hours, there's more to the story.

I wasn't implying you don't know how things work. I was implying that KC in general is very sensitive to convenience considering the fact many folks drive in from the burbs and complain about parking and overall "difficulty" of getting around downtown when most of us familiar with the situation, compared to other cities know this be bullshit.

That's all. Sorry about your feelings.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 am

I’m just offering anecdotal information. I lived right by it and with security it takes forever to get in for popular events. That’s the truth.

When people say I don’t know because Kc is different when I spend most of my time in countries that don’t know what crowd control is or in cities with far larger arenas, they sound like pretentious pricks.

If sounding like I know what I"m talking about makes me a prick, I'm a prick. I'm a consultant and have spent my life working in all things event related including LED Display design, event/festival operations, event technology, event production technology, event security, and the list goes on. I've done some of the biggest festivals in this country and consulted on festivals in other countries, including some I thought I may die while in.

So, I'm confident when I say T-Mobile Center doesn't have a long history of struggling with big events. It's consistently recognized as one of the best arenas in the country from a operations and guest satisfaction perspective. Facts.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:15 pm

If sounding like I know what I"m talking about makes me a prick, I'm a prick. I'm a consultant and have spent my life working in all things event related including LED Display design, event/festival operations, event technology, event production technology, event security, and the list goes on. I've done some of the biggest festivals in this country and consulted on festivals in other countries, including some I thought I may die while in.

So, I'm confident when I say T-Mobile Center doesn't have a long history of struggling with big events. It's consistently recognized as one of the best arenas in the country from a operations and guest satisfaction perspective. Facts.
I have nothing against you, but you constantly take these opinions that are false. All of us live downtown mostly. What do you want me to say? You’re wrong.I’m not saying every event, but it routinely backs up around grand and surrounding streets.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:36 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:15 pm

I have nothing against you, but you constantly take these opinions that are false. All of us live downtown mostly. What do you want me to say? You’re wrong.I’m not saying every event, but it routinely backs up around grand and surrounding streets.
Once again. Backing up around grand isn't unacceptable. For popular shows where the floor is all GA, you're going to have several thousand people show up long before doors hoping to get a good spot on the floor. People showing up at 4pm for 6pm doors and a line happening isn't the fault of the arena. Average time from back of line to having ticket scanned is under 20 minutes.

You never answered, what event was it where it took 2 hours to get in? What time did you get in line? What time were doors?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Big 13 specifically demanded changes to entry at the beginning due to it being so poor. Part of that was on the big 12 though because they didn't sell booze so crowds waited at p&l till last second.

It's not secret big 12 has less entry points than other major arenas. That was my point as to what upgrade could be made to the building.

Maybe a vested interest consultant isn't the most objective?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm Big 13 specifically demanded changes to entry at the beginning due to it being so poor. Part of that was on the big 12 though because they didn't sell booze so crowds waited at p&l till last second.

It's not secret big 12 has less entry points than other major arenas. That was my point as to what upgrade could be made to the building.

Maybe a vested interest consultant isn't the most objective?
The issue with the Big 12 Tournament isn't on the arena. It's due to multiple sessions which you have to flush out certain ticket holders, reset and allow the next session in. Even with that complication, you can still leave PNL 15 minutes before tip off and be in your seat with a buzz. That's nothing to complain about. Bob Bowlsby and the Big 12 conference is very happy with almost all aspects of the arenas operation. I guess individual accounts are more trustworthy than hard data. You do realize they have staff, not only internal staff, but tour staff, conference staff etc who keep data on entrance times and about 100 other metrics. I'm just telling you what I know, I'd love to have more details to those personal stories of it "taking forever", but I'm not getting those. Perhaps someone got in line too early thinking door times were an hour earlier? Perhaps the tours production crew was having technical difficulties and had to delay doors as it is at their discretion. There are many variables but rarely is slow entrance because of piss poor operational management.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No you cannot do that. I go to every session every year.

My comments about the big 12 being happy way predate bob. I was in the meetings. I know officials were not happy and said changes will happen. They did happen. It is better. It's still not great.

It's okay, not everything has to be perfect between 12th and truman, oak to main. As a vested consultant use the feedback from people who live here and use the facilities to find ways to make things better instead of telling us what we see with our own eyes isn't happening. Gaslighting doesn't work here.