T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:22 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:09 pm

The yellowish (sprint) panels for the appropriate T-Mobile magenta.
I don't think I remember those. Cool nevertheless

What are the prospects of seeing Sprint Center re-skinned in my lifetime?
After this round of changes, probably not going to see that happen unless naming rights change.

One big project that will happen downtown will be the re-skinning of the KC Live roof though.
How long is the lifespan on something like that? Do you see them enclosing the place like STL Live?
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Walker wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am Look at this hideous skyline and that atrocious sign.

I love the sign!
Would look a lot better if 3L was completed and 4L was under construction:)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:51 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:22 pm

I don't think I remember those. Cool nevertheless

What are the prospects of seeing Sprint Center re-skinned in my lifetime?
After this round of changes, probably not going to see that happen unless naming rights change.

One big project that will happen downtown will be the re-skinning of the KC Live roof though.
How long is the lifespan on something like that? Do you see them enclosing the place like STL Live?
It should have lasted much longer than it has. The manufacturer has admitted to some design flaws but won’t replace it. It’s a big project to pull off old roof, clean and paint steel structure and replace roof.

It was priced out to enclose the area to make it climate controlled but it was very high. It would only happen if T-Mobile arena got a nba or nhl team.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:57 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am Look at this hideous skyline and that atrocious sign.

I love the sign!
Would look a lot better if 3L was completed and 4L was under construction:)
Agreed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Sprint Center opening day pictures

Post by normalthings »

Your electronic billboard facing south is in need of maintenance.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they blew all their infrastructure improvements on the KC heart.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

All further maintenance requests must come through Instagram

Joking aside, that whole area needs an art redo
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:50 pm Your electronic billboard facing south is in need of maintenance.
It doesn’t need maintenance, it needs replaced! They struggle with all their exterior LED’s weekly and have guys out to service them regularly.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:07 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:50 pm Your electronic billboard facing south is in need of maintenance.
It doesn’t need maintenance, it needs replaced! They struggle with all their exterior LED’s weekly and have guys out to service them regularly.
Bigger replacements are better ;)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, those displays would have been better had they had hoards of marauding apes coming at you, an occasional rhino, and perhaps an angry elephant.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It has badly needed an outdoor makeover since it opened. One of the worst art projects. Immediately outdated and no money to replace it.

Never use technology in art unless you have an endowment to constantly keep it fresh and not like a crappy DVD player wait screen.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Goonies wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:20 am Its funny reading this thread. Sprint errm t mobile arena has always been a pretty bland arena and the flying space people was so stupid.
The arena's interior and overall design is top shelf. One of the best in the country, but the outside area, especially on Grand could use some serious help. Just get rid of the weird flying people all together and go all in on landscaping.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

We can do some amazing stuff with image mapping now a days. If anyone wants to give me a call. :P
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:52 pm We can do some amazing stuff with image mapping now a days. If anyone wants to give me a call. :P
How many Barco XDL-4K60's you need to projection map the entire west side of the building?!?!?!?!?!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I don't normally use 4k projectors for image mapping. I would guess 6 to 8 UDX-W40. But I would need drawings to say for sure. Assuming Cordish would let us use their roof it would be a pretty straightforward install.

There are many variables, the main one being that it's a west facing wall and the sun is a very bright object. Also what content you want to show. It's also going to have a major effect on the experience inside the arena concourse since the curtain wall is translucent/transparent.

So you are looking at something close to a million dollars with environmental housing and install. Not including media.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

How big of a headache would it be if Grand between 13th and 14th was pedestrian only?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Walnut or main would be a better pedestrianized street.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:31 pm Walnut or main would be a better pedestrianized street.
Possibly, but the city is considering doing something with this stretch of Grand because of the continued safety issues. Mostly the drag racing and ATV groups.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ever heard of police presence? This is a law enforcement problem. It's just another example of what happens when the City's leadership has no direct control/power over the police department.

Are we also going to shut down Main at Pershing, because there's video of cars spinning around at that intersection as well.

Arrest those doing it on camera, and do a perp walk. Plaster their face all over local media. Impound their car. Make it expensive.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:03 pm Ever heard of police presence? This is a law enforcement problem. It's just another example of what happens when the City's leadership has no direct control/power over the police department.

Are we also going to shut down Main at Pershing, because there's video of cars spinning around at that intersection as well.

Arrest those doing it on camera, and do a perp walk. Plaster their face all over local media. Impound their car. Make it expensive.
I'm all about police presence but that's not the solution in this case. Not enough cops to dedicate several to watch out for this and even when they are present, the police can't do much out of fear of causing a wreck or injury to innocent bystanders. The people doing this have zero respect for the police. They know at worst, it's a quick trip to the local jail.