B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMax wrote:Theaters are hurting because of video on demand, internet streaming, Netflix, etc. They have to provide some sort of extra incentive to get your to plunk down $15 on opening weekend.
If Theaters are hurting how come movies like the Avengers, Hunger Games and Twilight are consistently shattering records at the boxoffice? Matinees on the weekday are pretty cheap still, i believe some only charge 6 bucks and i think the plaza theater charges 6 bucks all the time, it's the megaplex theaters like AMC that are ripping us off.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
KCMax wrote:Theaters are hurting because of video on demand, internet streaming, Netflix, etc. They have to provide some sort of extra incentive to get your to plunk down $15 on opening weekend.
If Theaters are hurting how come movies like the Avengers, Hunger Games and Twilight are consistently shattering records at the boxoffice? Matinees on the weekday are pretty cheap still, i believe some only charge 6 bucks and i think the plaza theater charges 6 bucks all the time, it's the megaplex theaters like AMC that are ripping us off.
Any newer movie will "break box office records" because (a) tickets cost more now due to inflation; and (b) the international market is way bigger than it used to be. Here are the top movies of all-time in tickets sold. Movie theater attendance in 2011 was the lowest in 16 years. Some of that could be the recession, but no doubt the other factors I mention are going to be a factor for years.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Plaza matinees are $4. FOUR DOLLARS. Hell of a deal.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

smh wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:
Plaza matinees are $4. FOUR DOLLARS. Hell of a deal.
That's where I mainly go to the movies. The first time I went there I thought they made a mistake.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why don't they serve the meals before the movie starts, and the film begins after everyone has eaten? Then you don't have the wait staff interfering.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote:Why don't they serve the meals before the movie starts, and the film begins after everyone has eaten? Then you don't have the wait staff interfering.
I certainly do not understand the business model but Alamo Drafthouse is expanding so they must not be doing poorly.

What a way to spend a date? A dinner which you cannot speak to each other and a movie? Sounds great for limited conversationalists, long time married couples with little to say to each other and serious multi-taskers but I'd have zero interest. Alamo Drafthouse also has a rather unique policy on noise which seems mutually exclusive with trying to provide a dining experience that includes full service.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote:Why don't they serve the meals before the movie starts, and the film begins after everyone has eaten? Then you don't have the wait staff interfering.
I certainly do not understand the business model but Alamo Drafthouse is expanding so they must not be doing poorly.

What a way to spend a date? A dinner which you cannot speak to each other and a movie with multiple distractions? Sounds great for limited conversationalists, long time married couples with little to say to each other and serious multi-taskers but I'd have zero interest. Alamo Drafthouse also has a rather unique zero tolerance policy on noise (and texting) which it seems would be mutually exclusive with trying to provide a dining experience that includes full service.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Highlander wrote:

What a way to spend a date? A dinner which you cannot speak to each other and a movie? Sounds great for limited conversationalists, long time married couples with little to say to each other and serious multi-taskers but I'd have zero interest. Alamo Drafthouse also has a rather unique policy on noise which seems mutually exclusive with trying to provide a dining experience that includes full service.
Yeah, but you can text and twitter throughout. Set up your laptop, dinner and a giant screen behind you...perfect date for an ADD generation.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Downtown AMC = Gone

http://www.kctv5.com/story/18690833/ala ... ansas-city

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

A Texas-based movie operator is planning to take over the AMC Main Street theater in the Power and Light District.

In a blog post, the company says the theater will eventually be known as the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema.

There is no word yet on exactly when that might happen.

Alamo is known for their strict no talking and no texting policy and eliminating the front row in theaters.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Can somebody please explain whether ADH is a step up or step down?

IMO, a theatre is a theatre and so long as they don't make substantive changes to the interior, I think it will be fine. IMO, the interior of the current AMC is stunning.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

AJoD wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Yeah, but you can text and twitter throughout. Set up your laptop, dinner and a giant screen behind you...perfect date for an ADD generation.
Actually, they are as strict about no texting as they are about no talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

I'd recommend playing that while wearing headphones if you're at work.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

heatherkay wrote: Yeah, but you can text and twitter throughout. Set up your laptop, dinner and a giant screen behind you...perfect date for an ADD generation.
Actually, they are as strict about no texting as they are about no talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

I'd recommend playing that while wearing headphones if you're at work.[/quote]

Good they have that policy (and the youtube bit was hilarious) but the policy seems incompatible with dining. How do you eat what you cannot see and ask questions to the waiter etc...

Alas, accessing YouTube at my office gets one in trouble quickly.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AMC Entertainment seeks lender leniency as sale triggers repayment of $1.5B
AMC Entertainment Inc. is asking the holders of about $1.5 billion of its public debt to waive requirements that it immediately pay back that debt once its sale to Dalian Wanda Group Co. is completed later this year.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rift means AMC Entertainment will stop running Mainstreet 6 theater
In September, AMC announced that it wanted Cordish out of the joint venture. The parties had different ideas about how to get the theater to turn a profit.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 2012-06-18

I think Cordish is the problem here. Shouldn't the company that operates a movie theater business be the one making decisions about how to turn a profit at a movie theater?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe AMC wanted a more communist approach given their new.owners?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCPowercat wrote:Maybe AMC wanted a more communist approach given their new.owners?
Yeah, they wanted to staff it with 10-13 year olds and give them one potty break per 18 hour shift. And I hear they wanted to install nets under all the balconies.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote:I think Cordish is the problem here. Shouldn't the company that operates a movie theater business be the one making decisions about how to turn a profit at a movie theater?
I'm not so sure. Does AMC have any experience running a small, downtown theater? It seems that their strategy is to focus on huge megaplexes in the suburbs. This was a totally new concept with them and I think they realized that they didn't have a clue. They are strictly a movie theater company. I think they had a problem being a full entertainment theater and couldn't figure out how to make the same amount of money with less theaters. It sounds like Alamo gets it. You have to make more with less. You have to market better. Give a full entertainment experience. Grind. Will Smith and Tom Cruise alone aren't going to attract enough customers anymore. You have to give a full entertainment experience.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

It sounds to me like a big point of contention was the Marquee Lounge. And I can speak from personal experience, it was poorly conceived and run. AMC and Cordish were never on the same page there, and it showed.

The guys from Alamo are serious about their bar and food service, I'm excited to see what they do.