B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by heatherkay »

Comments on their facebook page make it sound like the renovations are (a) to expand and improve the kitchen, (b) roll the dine-in concept out to all theaters, and (c) fix some stuff that has broken down in the bathrooms. No indication that they're planning to do anything to the decor.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

heatherkay wrote:Comments on their facebook page make it sound like the renovations are (a) to expand and improve the kitchen, (b) roll the dine-in concept out to all theaters, and (c) fix some stuff that has broken down in the bathrooms. No indication that they're planning to do anything to the decor.

Also, on part (b) would that mean providing tray tables to the theaters on the first floor? I do not recall if they already had them or not and if not could they be installed on the seats already there or would whole new seats need to be installed? Lastly, does the upstairs theaters have a call button for service? If so, would that system need to be installed in the theaters on the first floor as well?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Pork Chop wrote:
heatherkay wrote:Comments on their facebook page make it sound like the renovations are (a) to expand and improve the kitchen, (b) roll the dine-in concept out to all theaters, and (c) fix some stuff that has broken down in the bathrooms. No indication that they're planning to do anything to the decor.

Also, on part (b) would that mean providing tray tables to the theaters on the first floor? I do not recall if they already had them or not and if not could they be installed on the seats already there or would whole new seats need to be installed? Lastly, does the upstairs theaters have a call button for service? If so, would that system need to be installed in the theaters on the first floor as well?
There are no tray tables on the first floor, or call lights. I suspect this is a big portion of the "reno". There are call buttons on the second floor seats.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

smh wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:

There are no tray tables on the first floor, or call lights. I suspect this is a big portion of the "reno". There are call buttons on the second floor seats.
Thanks and also I would imagine they are going to take out the first row of seats, fix the floor and re-label the row numbers, but I believe you are right the above changes are most likely the largest portion of the reno, but not sure why the couldn't keep the upstairs theaters open or at least re-open them earlier.

Not a big deal. I can wait a month to see the the full service Alamo Drafthouse.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Pork Chop wrote:
Not a big deal. I can wait a month to see the the full service Alamo Drafthouse.
Agreed. I'm also hoping they'll throw up some logos on the Mainstreet sign and the marquee during this closure.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

smh wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:
Agreed. I'm also hoping they'll throw up some logos on the Mainstreet sign and the marquee during this closure.
That would be a plus.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Burlesque coming to Alamo every Friday.

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2012/11/ ... ansas.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

When are these people going to put up some signage!? I've asked 3 times, no response. Lame. It looks naked without their logo on top of the Mainstreet signage.

EDIT: Don't they know I value branding?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Wish they'd put up signage as well...but all in all, I'm impressed with Alamo Drafthouse. This week they are having a "soft opening" before officially becoming a full-service Alamo Drafthouse. Maybe it's just me, but when I go to to the new theatre, I feel like Alamo actually cares about movies as art and entertainment...opposed to just wanting my money. Soft opening is going on through tomorrow, $2 movies and 50% off menu.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I was pumped to see Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters...and then I've had the busiest work week ever. Oh well. I suppose I can just watch them on my VCR device.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

smh wrote:I was pumped to see Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters...and then I've had the busiest work week ever. Oh well. I suppose I can just watch them on my VCR device.
Saw Jurassic Park yesterday. Just as good as I remember it being. My one complaint is that any whispers or talking seem so much worse when they make such a big deal out of no talking.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

From INK:
"There’s a new arcade with a pool table, and classic games such as Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are on order. Gone are the tapestries with sepia-toned images of Charlie Chaplin and Forrest Gump. Davis says the Alamo’s movie icons are more in line with Godzilla, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Raquel Welch and The Dude from “The Big Lebowski.”

http://inkkc.com/content/new-in-town-al ... ainstreet/
:-s
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Alamo Drafthouse...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ts-to.html
The renovations reduced the number of seats, but League said he prefers to make the whole theater uniform by offering food at all screens. The largest theater, No. 1, lost 100 seats, dropping to 197. But the renovations are meant to improve the viewing experience.

“We want this to be an oasis for movie-lovers,” he said.

Alamo’s signature is pairing interesting menu items with its movies; it’s hosting a spaghetti western night with a spaghetti feast. With the December release of the Hobbit, the kitchen will prepare an 11-course Shire-themed menu.

It also hosts a number of events besides showing mainstream movies, such as quote-alongs, action packs and girlie nights. “Old School,” “Bridget Jones’ Diary” and “R. Kelly’s Trapped in the Closet” are on tap for the next week at the theater.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Have been to the "new" Mainstreet Drafthouse about 5 times now, recently went to see Django Christmas Day and then Trailer Wars (mishmash of old B-Movie trailers) the following Friday, and thought I'd post a few opinions of the Drafthouse from a loyal (former) AMC Mainstreet patron, as the verdict is slowly coming in for me personally.

And...I miss the old AMC Mainstreet! Sure, part of that is that I'm such a KC homer and loved visiting the flagship theater for the movie company down the block. But beyond that, the Mainstreet under AMC was such an elegant experience - just a very, very nice theater in which to watch a movie and grab a cocktail. The Mainstreet felt like a real night out on the town; a taste of old Hollywood glamour wrapped in the latest high-tech trappings - one of my favorite experiences in town.

The Drafthouse has (on the whole) lost some that elegance. There are cheesy old arcade games in the lobby (and I am a deeply passionate gamer), they removed some of the flat-screen tvs and sitting areas from the Mainstreet (albiet they were under-used previously), removed the concession stands for the most part (ordering in theaters "only" is STRONGLY encouraged), and added a bar-table type of rail across the front of all-seats to place food and drink on that functions fairly well, but is not nearly as seamless or unique an experience as the push-button dine-in seats at AMC. Further, the incredible bar space on the north side remains completely under-utilized, a problem with AMC as well and one I thought the Alamo brand might be able to improve.

Nonetheless, the space remains incredible, and it remains my favorite theater in town (I'll still be going all the time). The Alamo brand was a nice "get" for KC and downtown, and they still have plenty of time to make the space their own. But the honest truth is that I prefer AMC's style (even the new Ward Parkway theaters), and will continue to miss them downtown, at their empty HQ on Main and at the Mainstreet theater.

Anyone else been to the Drafthouse and feel the same way?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

rxlexi, I have been to the Alamo a few times now, and overall, I prefer it to the AMC operation.

Part of that is likely emotional, due to AMC desertion of downtown, both in their headquarters and the Mainstreet Theater. It is based on my experiences too, though.

I much prefer the bar rail set up, with the servers setting up drinks and such, from in front of you and below, to the AMC sidetable service interuptions. Have to admit, I'm not yet converted to eating a meal while watching a film. Anything beyond popcorn seems awkward.

I understand the noting of a reduction in "glamour", however, I see Alamo's business model as more relaxed generally and I'm keeping an open mind that as they develop their operation here and start creating a larger customer following, this place could get very interesting and fun.

Regarding the arcade games, I also first thought them out of place, but this weekend I saw several pre-teens having a ball on these "ancient" gaming devices and I "got" the draw in having them in place.

A parting thought, I have over the holidays mentioned the Alamo to family and friends at gatherings. It is almost universally unknown by every demographic that I encountered. This included random groups from Lee's Summit and Grandview, southern Johnson County, and most surprising, a large contingent of folks from Roanoke/Valentine/west 39th hoods.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Arvest Bank buys the naming rights to the Midland Thater.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ch-on.html

"Arvest Bank Theater at the Midland". Already on the website

http://www.midlandkc.com/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good riddance to AMC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

...and hello Bank of K Mart.