B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: AMC/Empire Theatre on FOX 4 News

Post by Maitre D »

Everyone I know is rooting hard for the re-development of downtown, incl. the Empire Room.  (The KC STar had a glowing front page article)

I do encounter the Doubting Thomases.  But it seems like every person who does, says, "Man, I don't know about this, but it would great if....."
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

They talked about this on "Ruckus" as well with everyone pretty supportive to excited about it. I'm pretty pumped about it! Is it going to be a massive megaplex first run blockbusters or more of an art house?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

KCMax wrote: They talked about this on "Ruckus" as well with everyone pretty supportive to excited about it. I'm pretty pumped about it! Is it going to be a massive megaplex first run blockbusters or more of an art house?
It'd be cool if they'd use it occasionally for sneak preview events.
A fool and your money are soon united.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From Hearne Christopher today:

The art of the deal: AMC’s experiment-to-be at downtown’s Empire theater — mixing mostly indie and foreign films with smashes such as “War of the Worldsâ€

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Gee, never thought I'd see Hearne Christopher pointing out someone's skepticism about a downtown project.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Empire will rule an older market

When the Empire reopens in a couple of years (nearly nine decades after it first opened as a vaudeville venue) it will be a key element in a plan to revitalize downtown by creating an urban entertainment district.

The new Empire will house a restaurant and six auditoriums showing movies. AMC’s announcement described the screens as “state-of-the-art digitalâ€

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

well, i hope the empire theatre offers an alternative to the Fine Arts Group, because rarely do they screen indie movies i'm interested in.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

I respect Wade Williams but I think he forgot about the Angelika Film Centers. By no means is Angelika a big corporation but I wouldn't classify it as a "mom and pop" operation either. The more I hear about the plans for the Empire the more I feel like AMC is stealing Angelika's concept. Indie/art films with some quality Hollywood films mixed in and a restaurant/bar that can be open for lunch and dinner regardless if a movie is showing.

I've said this before, but  Hearne Christopher represents this 70's-80's KC generation of that have seemed to become their parents. Any change is met with skepticism and resistance. I suspect after the P & L district is open Hearne & Co. will go on about how it will die after the honeymoon period and Westport will still be where it's at. After a new NHL or NBA team moves into the Sprint Center we will hear how it will move out of town within 5 years by the Hearne experts. Remember it's the Cowtown Confidential, he has a vested interest in keeping KC from putting on airs.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

cdschofield wrote: but  Hearne Christopher represents this 70's-80's KC generation of that have seemed to become their parents.

Plus, he has a last name as his first name and a first name as his last name.  Can we really take him that seriously?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

cdschofield wrote: I respect Wade Williams but I think he forgot about the Angelika Film Centers. By no means is Angelika a big corporation but I wouldn't classify it as a "mom and pop" operation either. The more I hear about the plans for the Empire the more I feel like AMC is stealing Angelika's concept. Indie/art films with some quality Hollywood films mixed in and a restaurant/bar that can be open for lunch and dinner regardless if a movie is showing.

I've said this before, but  Hearne Christopher represents this 70's-80's KC generation of that have seemed to become their parents. Any change is met with skepticism and resistance. I suspect after the P & L district is open Hearne & Co. will go on about how it will die after the honeymoon period and Westport will still be where it's at. After a new NHL or NBA team moves into the Sprint Center we will hear how it will move out of town within 5 years by the Hearne experts. Remember it's the Cowtown Confidential, he has a vested interest in keeping KC from putting on airs.
I don't know, I've seen him at Bulldog on numerous occassions.  I think he is a "VIP" there... so he isn't totally out of the loop as far as the new and hot locations.  I always try to talk extra loudly with my friends, saying "that guy over there is a joke... Hearne Christopher, heard of him?" hoping he'll overhear.  :D
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

am i deranged or did we not aleady try the not so run of the mill theaters at union station, and they did not do to well. yes, they were not digital, however, they do not show the average cinema. oh well, something, is better than nothing.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

The movies in Union Station are neither mainstream nor art house flicks.  In general, they show short educational films that are geared towards children/family.  I just hope the Empire doesn't attract the kiddy crowd currently loitering at the Crown Center Theater Friday/Saturday night.   
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yeah, we dont want the kiddy crowd, we would do so much better with the middle aged suburban screw the city crowd that has so much loved downtown for so long
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

yes, the same middle aged suburban crowd that voted for the downtown arena....the folks that know not to talk during a movie.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yeah, they voted for it about as much as i did from new york. dont kid yourself, look at the demographic of that vote, same as the power and light vote of the mid 90's, apathetic voter turnout, and the majority of it was kcmo residents. dont fool yourself. thank god they did turn out to vote though!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the majority of it was kcmo residents
the arena vote was a KCMO ballot issue only.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, they voted for it about as much as i did from new york. dont kid yourself, look at the demographic of that vote, same as the power and light vote of the mid 90's, apathetic voter turnout, and the majority of it was kcmo residents. dont fool yourself. thank god they did turn out to vote though!!
When isn't there apathetic voter turnout?  btw...there is an election August 2 for a water rate increase (I love voting in Liberty Memorial).

My only point is that bashing the middle aged suburban crowd as out to screw downtown is an overgeneralization and doesn't jive with their support, which was necessary to pass the arena ballot item.  As I'm sure you know, most of the KCMO population is suburban. 
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

There was quite a bit of northland support if I recall correctly (>50%).  The arena definitely was not carried only by young urbanites.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, we dont want the kiddy crowd, we would do so much better with the middle aged suburban screw the city crowd that has so much loved downtown for so long

The "kiddy crowd" refers to the middle and high school kids that show up, talk on their cell phones, talk to each other throughout the movie, put their feet up on the chairs in front of them (whether or not people are sitting in them), etc. etc. that make the movie-going experience completely suck. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

exactly, Long.  Parents dump their kids at the movies and expect that they'll be entertained and out of mom and dad's hair.  I have no problem with kids at the movies. I have a huge problem with rudeness and inconsiderate jerks who think the world revolves around them and haven't been taught how to behave in public.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.