B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by Midtownkid »

Think this will be on TV?  I'm guessing not
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

one of the few celebrity chefs i actually dig. he really has some good street knowledge, and is very practical in his methods.

go if you can, he really is a good speaker, and even motivational.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
BEERMAN
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BEERMAN »

Best cooking show out there.  No Reservations, Deadliest Catch and Family Guy are part of my daily routine.

And of course my kegerator comes in handy from time to time...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

switching gears to the empire/mainstreet, is this a signal of what's to come in our downtown movie theater?

AMC tests dinner-and-a-movie concepts in Olathe
Eight Fork & Screen auditoriums will offer casual dining, including appetizers, sandwiches, entrees, desserts, alcoholic drinks and traditional theater concessions. Three Cinema Suites auditoriums will offer upscale dining with reserved seating, an expanded menu and plush recliners. Both concepts are for guests 18 or older and minors accompanied by a guardian.

MacGuffins will be a bar and lounge area where guests can wait before or after movies.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Look for Cinema Suites and even more high-end dining.
DaveKCMO wrote: switching gears to the empire/mainstreet, is this a signal of what's to come in our downtown movie theater?

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

DaveKCMO wrote: switching gears to the empire/mainstreet, is this a signal of what's to come in our downtown movie theater?

they have that concept at an amc here in the burgh at the waterfront, high end shopping area. loews had it first, now amc has all of loews. works out well, you pay dearly for those seats.

problem is, is that the food sucks ass. i got one of their upscale pastas, fettuccini alfredo with broccoli, the broccoli was cold. i asked my server and the chef ( i kid you not, the chef ) sent the server back to my table to tell me that was a garnish and garnishes are not heated.

ummmm, okay!~

on the bright side, they give you a complimentary small soda and small popcorn to enjoy with your movie.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote:problem is, is that the food sucks ass. i got one of their upscale pastas, fettuccini alfredo with broccoli, the broccoli was cold. i asked my server and the chef ( i kid you not, the chef ) sent the server back to my table to tell me that was a garnish and garnishes are not heated.
you should have whipped out your garnish flash cards! seriously, though, my expectations are low for the food quality. i just like the intimacy of smaller theaters and higher ticket prices that keep noisy kids out of sight.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Hard to imagine many theaters investing in putting in a full scale commercial kitchen - some how I picture the "Chef" whipping out that Broccoli Alfredo with a microwave and a hotplate in the former broom closet. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hard to imagine many theaters investing in putting in a full scale commercial kitchen - some how I picture the "Chef" whipping out that Broccoli Alfredo with a microwave and a hotplate in the former broom closet. 
this one was a new theater, so they actually had the real estate to cook. i am sure the "chef" was some glorified kitchen manager. whatever. when i saw the term "upscale" with fet alfredo, my expectations were not high. having the broccoli hot, yes, but not amazing out of this world flavor.

you never know what you are gonna get i suppose.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

A friend of mine was/is the consulting chef for a restaurant/theater concept in the Pac NW:

http://www.cinetopiatheaters.com/

I haven't been to one of these, but the man can cook.  You can get good food in these deals.  Whether or not you'll be able to here, I have no idea.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCTigerFan wrote: Look for Cinema Suites and even more high-end dining.
I can see AMC doing dining in Olathe or the Northland, but downtown? C'mon. There are many suitable restaurants around the the theater to eat/drink at before the movie with more coming online.

Why not concentrate on creating a better actual theatrical experience (i.e. movie palace aesthetics, customer service, picture/sound)? I don't want a meal catered by a movie theater unless there are no other options.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

That will be the case as well.  Incredible lobby, upscale seating and the best all digital screens and sound system in the country.  This theater is the "test kitchen" so to speak.   
trailerkid wrote: I can see AMC doing dining in Olathe or the Northland, but downtown? C'mon. There are many suitable restaurants around the the theater to eat/drink at before the movie with more coming online.

Why not concentrate on creating a better actual theatrical experience (i.e. movie palace aesthetics, customer service, picture/sound)? I don't want a meal catered by a movie theater unless there are no other options.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCTigerFan wrote: ... and the best all digital screens and sound system in the country.
who cares about the food. digital!
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

KCTigerFan wrote: That will be the case as well.  Incredible lobby, upscale seating and the best all digital screens and sound system in the country.  This theater is the "test kitchen" so to speak.   
Agreed; can't wait to go to a movie here!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I'm sure it's been discussed, but does anybody know how these theatres will be designed?  Size, seating, etc.  Do any of them have balconies?  I don't know why, but I've always been a fan of balconies in movie theatres. 
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

three "larger" screens on the main level, three smaller ones on the upper.  No balconies. 
KC-wildcat wrote: I'm sure it's been discussed, but does anybody know how these theatres will be designed?  Size, seating, etc.  Do any of them have balconies?  I don't know why, but I've always been a fan of balconies in movie theatres. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: I am so there.
Got the tickets baught last night - you doing the reception?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Got the tickets baught last night - you doing the reception?
Doubt it. Kinda pricey.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

KCTigerFan wrote: That will be the case as well.  Incredible lobby, upscale seating and the best all digital screens and sound system in the country.  This theater is the "test kitchen" so to speak.   
Do you know the technical details of the projection systems to be used?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Steve Penn is impressed with the Midland

Midland renovation leaves the best intact

The Midland, which is undergoing renovation, isn’t due to open to the public until Sept. 9. However, I recently toured it and came away impressed. The Midland was just one of the stops on a tour of the Power & Light District led by officials with the Cordish Co., which developed and manages the area.

Some people may have feared that the Midland Theatre, constructed in 1927 in just one year, might never look the same once developers got their hands on it. However, nothing could be further from the truth. It’s essentially the same old Midland, plus a few necessary changes.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag