Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by normalthings »

If the original 4 light spot is being left open for now, I don’t wonder why. Office or dedicated hotel tower?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 am If the original 4 light spot is being left open for now, I don’t wonder why. Office or dedicated hotel tower?
I think 4L being moved to 14th/main location is for a few reasons. Smaller overall building similar to one light and could get started while 3L is under construction. Also just buying time for that last premium surface lot location.

Cordish will have 5-7 residential projects going up across the country over the next 3 years with 2-4 of them being here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

But what is driving 2-4 at once?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What was on the NW corner of 14th and Main. It appears between 1923 and 1941, there was a demolition and rebuild of the structure since it appears physically different even though it's also 2-stories.

In 1923. The President Hotel hasn't been built yet.

In 1941.

In 1948.

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:22 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 am If the original 4 light spot is being left open for now, I don’t wonder why. Office or dedicated hotel tower?
I think 4L being moved to 14th/main location is for a few reasons. Smaller overall building similar to one light and could get started while 3L is under construction. Also just buying time for that last premium surface lot location.

Cordish will have 5-7 residential projects going up across the country over the next 3 years with 2-4 of them being here.
Are you saying that they want to build 4 Light on a surface lot, or to keep the surface lot open?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:42 pm

Are you saying that they want to build 4 Light on a surface lot, or to keep the surface lot open?
4 Light over the empty 1 floor retail building. Leave surface lot for future development site. That part makes sense. What doesn't is moving on so many at once
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:37 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:42 pm

4 Light over the empty 1 floor retail building. Leave surface lot for future development site. That part makes sense. What doesn't is moving on so many at once
Is there some reason we should be against them building all these towers here at once?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cordish has never built more than one tower at once here. I just think that either they aren’t going to be developing the others when they say they are or there is some not yet public development that will drive demand.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:42 am Cordish has never built more than one tower at once here. I just think that either they aren’t going to be developing the others when they say they are or there is some not yet public development that will drive demand.
I think the main driving factor is interest rates, economy and the current growth of KC. They have optimistic goals, only thing for sure we know is two residential projects by Cordish will be underway at the same time. Good chance a 3rd gets started before those two others are done.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:37 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:42 am Cordish has never built more than one tower at once here. I just think that either they aren’t going to be developing the others when they say they are or there is some not yet public development that will drive demand.
I think the main driving factor is interest rates, economy and the current growth of KC. They have optimistic goals, only thing for sure we know is two residential projects by Cordish will be underway at the same time. Good chance a 3rd gets started before those two others are done.
Hmm, I might take this bet.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:37 pm
Hmm, I might take this bet.
This would be a bet I’d be thrilled to lose
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I guess Earthling's economy post today shows that the area is growing quickly
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'd put the chance of three Cordish properties being built at once below 10%, and the chance of two around 30%.

My out is if they get another equity investor, probably hotel.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm I'd put the chance of three Cordish properties being built at once below 10%, and the chance of two around 30%.

Well DCOLE is correct. Midland and Three Light will be happening at the same time.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:46 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm I'd put the chance of three Cordish properties being built at once below 10%, and the chance of two around 30%.

Well DCOLE is correct. Midland and Three Light will be happening at the same time.
Ah, I'm not counting Midland. That's fair though. I'm taking their development agreement + sky.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If Cordish pulls trigger on hotel they should target residential combo as well. Hotel operations can absorb a deeper hit during down periods when also serving residential component. Great way to reduce risk and unique offering that stands out. Hotel component also needs less garage space.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’m getting skeptical about the Midland. Been ages since it was announced and still nothing. All the while it’s been losing chunks of the facade
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:01 pm I’m getting skeptical about the Midland. Been ages since it was announced and still nothing. All the while it’s been losing chunks of the facade
October start is what they said
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:04 pmOctober start is what they said
Seems like we got quite a few 3 light start dates that ended up being months or years off
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think Cordish could build and lease two separate towers at the same time if they targeted them towards different markets.

I'm wondering how a really high-end tower with "white glove service" would do -- sort of like a The Walnuts downtown. This would be a building with really big private terraces instead of small balconies; more square footage per apartment, larger room sizes, big walk-in closets, separate formal dining rooms, big kitchens, etc. The architecture might have to be a bit different. No floor-to-ceiling windows on all the facades, but wall space between windows so the occupants can hang their expensive art, fabrics, and keep antiques without worrying about sunlight fading them.