Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Three Light

Post by Chris Stritzel »

moderne wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:37 pm So the only height difference from 2 Light is the slanted parapet?
Seems like it
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:37 pm So the only height difference from 2 Light is the slanted parapet?
You can thank your city council.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I saw the article come up on City Scene today but the detail is behind the paywall. There is some chatter in the comments regarding negotiations with B&B with respect to Three Light. Who/what is B&B?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:15 pm I saw the article come up on City Scene today but the detail is behind the paywall. There is some chatter in the comments regarding negotiations with B&B with respect to Three Light. Who/what is B&B?
Working with B&B Theaters to take over Mainstreet Theatre.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:15 pm I saw the article come up on City Scene today but the detail is behind the paywall. There is some chatter in the comments regarding negotiations with B&B with respect to Three Light. Who/what is B&B?
Local theater chain. Hear great things about how they operate.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

B&B Theaters is a family-owned theater chain based in Liberty, Missouri. They are the 8th largest theater chain in the USA. They bought out the former Dickinson Theater chain that was based in Overland Park. B&B is actually a bigger chain than Alamo Drafthouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%26B_Theatres
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 pm
Local theater chain. Hear great things about how they operate.
They have a real family photo on their website. Based on knowing someone who married into the family, it’s not done just to make them look good, it’s really how they are.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Wehrenberg or bust.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

smh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 am Wehrenberg or bust.
Not sure if you knew, but they're owned by Marcus Theaters now and people in St. Louis didn't really like that when Marcus (from Milwaukee) came in bought out our hometown theater company.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:43 pm
Not sure if you knew, but they're owned by Marcus Theaters now and people in St. Louis didn't really like that when Marcus (from Milwaukee) came in bought out our hometown theater company.
I did! This was very upsetting in Springfield as well. The people loved the Wehrenberg bumper before the movie!
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

smh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:48 pm

I did! This was very upsetting in Springfield as well. The people loved the Wehrenberg bumper before the movie!
Wherenberg...wherenberg...wherenberg...

[Edit: formatting fix]
Last edited by Eon Blue on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Wherenberg...wherenberg...wherenberg...

I see what you did there.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A new UR plan was uploaded to Compass. Includes a mixture of 2019,2020, and 2021 drawings.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

The Wehrenberg in Springfield was a dump before it closed. Alamo completely gutted it and updated it from the ground up. It closed last fall but I believe it is reopening this week. Great theater.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mistervinix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 am

The Wehrenberg in Springfield was a dump before it closed. Alamo completely gutted it and updated it from the ground up. It closed last fall but I believe it is reopening this week. Great theater.
But it was our dump.

Also that Alamo is excellent.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Officially starting construction May 10th.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Looks like $400 sqft is the going rate rn for a Plaza condo. 3 Light is being built for around $280 psf (including garage). Sounds like a pretty nice margin could be made on condos. Wish Cordish would test the market in P&L or on the Plaza.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New Construction Permit approved, ready to be issued.
Development Plan Approved.
Streetcar Access Permit Approved and Issued.
Re-platting mostly complete
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... ad859ecaf6
ORDINANCE NO. 210430

Waiving and dispensing with the Municipal Arts Commission’s approval for the design of the Three Light Skybridge.

WHEREAS, the design of arches, bridges, structures and approaches which are the property of any corporation or individual, and which shall extend upon any street, avenue, highway, park or property belonging to the City is subject to the approval of the Municipal Arts Commission;

WHEREAS, the City Council has the authority to dispense with the Municipal Arts Commission’s approval process under Sec. 1137(c) of the City Charter; NOW, THEREFORE,

BE IT ORDAINED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:

Section 1. That pursuant to Section 1137(c) of the City Charter, the City Council hereby dispenses with the Municipal Arts Commission’s approval for the design of the Three Light Skybridge.