OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
DColeKC wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 pm
wahoowa wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:19 pm
they better give me my plate then
I’m sure they would. Less stuff to go in the dumpster and you helped them stay open this long. The concept, decor etc has been outdated for years.
Can we take out the patio so that sidewalk is passable again? It is way to narrow for the amount of foot traffic in the area (COVID notwithstanding).
I agree, but don't see a new tenant wanting to give up the idea of a patio, even though it's not a great patio or a great patio view.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30109
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:39 pm
wahoowa wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 am
i have a hard time believing saucer's concept or decor are dealbreakers when we've heard it on good authority that goddamn pizza bar is raking it in.
It's pizza.... Not to hard to do, especially when you're pumping out $3 slices all night long and the profit margin on pizza is ridiculous. Flying Saucer (nationwide) hasn't kept up with the times sadly.

Pizza bar can not out 20k worth of pizza orders on a concert night no problem. Add in the alcohol sales and it's a winning combo. Pizza bar has always had a dive type vibe which I think works well for it.
Pizza bar has no vibe at all. It might as well be in an airport.

I have a plate at FS and really liked it when it opened but now everybody has every beer everywhere (including tons of our own KC beers) and I haven't drank a beer in FS in years. I do like their lunch though.

User avatar
wahoowa
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by wahoowa »

agreed with respect to the ability to get a decent craft beer at most places. if it's gone, i will miss saucer in that it's the only tolerable place in p&L where you can always get an interesting craft beer, or where you can count on enough of a rotation to not be stuck drinking the same thing every time you go there (glaring at ice house here). but there are good options away from p&L for all of this so i'm sure i will manage.

looks like i'm almost certainly the most frequent user of saucer's patio around here, so i'll just add that saucer's patio is an objectively bad patio. if cordish were to just delete it i'm sure any replacement tenant could live with that. just roll the windows up and call it good.

DColeKC
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:22 pm
agreed with respect to the ability to get a decent craft beer at most places. if it's gone, i will miss saucer in that it's the only tolerable place in p&L where you can always get an interesting craft beer, or where you can count on enough of a rotation to not be stuck drinking the same thing every time you go there (glaring at ice house here). but there are good options away from p&L for all of this so i'm sure i will manage.

looks like i'm almost certainly the most frequent user of saucer's patio around here, so i'll just add that saucer's patio is an objectively bad patio. if cordish were to just delete it i'm sure any replacement tenant could live with that. just roll the windows up and call it good.
Yard House has a great selection, but not as good as Flying Saucer did!

DColeKC
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:42 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:39 pm
wahoowa wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 am
i have a hard time believing saucer's concept or decor are dealbreakers when we've heard it on good authority that goddamn pizza bar is raking it in.
It's pizza.... Not to hard to do, especially when you're pumping out $3 slices all night long and the profit margin on pizza is ridiculous. Flying Saucer (nationwide) hasn't kept up with the times sadly.

Pizza bar can not out 20k worth of pizza orders on a concert night no problem. Add in the alcohol sales and it's a winning combo. Pizza bar has always had a dive type vibe which I think works well for it.
Pizza bar has no vibe at all. It might as well be in an airport.

I have a plate at FS and really liked it when it opened but now everybody has every beer everywhere (including tons of our own KC beers) and I haven't drank a beer in FS in years. I do like their lunch though.
Not sure what time you've been into Pizza bar, but it's a great late night spot and honestly, why would they change anything if it's making gobs of money?

My comment is about the fact that most of the bars are painted and changed up from time to time, pizza bar hasn't been touched in years. You'd have to be a regular customer to notice this of course.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30109
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

I didn't ask them to change. It does not have any atmosphere though. Good for cordish.

DColeKC
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:02 pm
I didn't ask them to change. It does not have any atmosphere though. Good for cordish.
Yeah.... I get that. As someone that frequents the place Vs someone who has likely been in there a handful of times, I disagree about the vibe of the place. For example, have you ever been in there on a Friday or Saturday when they have a DJ?

swid
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm
Location: Financial District

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by swid »

DColeKC wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 pm
I don't see Flying Saucer opening back up sadly.
The staff at Flying Saucer was told today that it will not be reopening, so this has moved past the rumor stage.

As someone who spent...way too much time there over the past decade, this hurts, but isn't terribly surprising. The writing was on the wall when Cordish took it over last fall; the pandemic-induced shutdown only accelerated the timeline for its closure.

Unfortunately, even in its recent state, FS was still one of the top craft beer bars in the metro.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by flyingember »

swid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Unfortunately, even in its recent state, FS was still one of the top craft beer bars in the metro.
They have good reviews on sites but no one ever mentions them as a place to get beer. Out of all these lists, they made 16th place in only one of them.

https://www.visitkc.com/visitors/things ... beer-scene
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions ... souri.html
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=b ... City%2C+MO
https://foursquare.com/top-places/kansa ... craft-beer
https://uproxx.com/life/best-breweries- ... nsas-city/
https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-brewerie ... ty-4582736
https://www.kcur.org/post/food-critics- ... 8#stream/0

DColeKC
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

swid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 pm
I don't see Flying Saucer opening back up sadly.
The staff at Flying Saucer was told today that it will not be reopening, so this has moved past the rumor stage.

As someone who spent...way too much time there over the past decade, this hurts, but isn't terribly surprising. The writing was on the wall when Cordish took it over last fall; the pandemic-induced shutdown only accelerated the timeline for its closure.

Unfortunately, even in its recent state, FS was still one of the top craft beer bars in the metro.
I didn't want any employees hearing about it before they were told, so I didn't want to be too matter of fact.

It was taken over because they could no longer pay their lease. They were going to try and keep it alive but with these developments, it wasn't a smart move. What will end up going in there will fill a hole in the PNL market.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30109
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

Mexican is my bet.

DColeKC
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:59 pm
Mexican is my bet.
I wish! But, not what I’m hearing at the moment.

I’d like to see a Mexican restaurant go in a combined famous Daves and Bar Louie.

User avatar
smh
Supporter
Posts: 3522
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by smh »

Sure, but could we re-open the sidewalk perhaps? I can't socially distance on a two-foot sidewalk.

DColeKC
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 am
Sure, but could we re-open the sidewalk perhaps? I can't socially distance on a two-foot sidewalk.
Seriously. I don't know how anyone enjoys that patio anyway?

User avatar
smh
Supporter
Posts: 3522
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 am
smh wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 am
Sure, but could we re-open the sidewalk perhaps? I can't socially distance on a two-foot sidewalk.
Seriously. I don't know how anyone enjoys that patio anyway?
Put in a good word! :-)

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30109
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

I had a pretty good time on that deck last summer watching the discarded P&L crowd come out. Hot damn I have drank a beer at FS in the last year. I completely forgot.

droopy
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by droopy »

DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 am
smh wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 am
Sure, but could we re-open the sidewalk perhaps? I can't socially distance on a two-foot sidewalk.
Seriously. I don't know how anyone enjoys that patio anyway?
I figured it was so smokers could go out with their beer. I imagine the new tenant will want to keep it for this reason too.

User avatar
normalthings
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by normalthings »

Traffic Control Permit Approved this week for "Delivery of supplies and materials":
W 13th Street THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY THE WESTBOUND SOUTH CURB LANE OF W 13TH STREET BETWEEN MAIN STREET TO BALTIMORE AVE.
Walnut Street, THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY THE NORTHBOUND EAST CURB LANE OF WALNUT STREET BETWEEN E 13TH STREET TO W TRUMAN ROAD (NORTHSIDE).
Grand Blvd, THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY SOUTHBOUND WEST CURB LANE OF GRAND BLVD BETWEEN E 13TH STREET TO E 14TH STREET.
Date: FROM: 01-Apr-2020 TO: 30-Apr-2020 Permitted Working Hours: FROM: 6am TO: 6pm

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18110
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:51 pm
Traffic Control Permit Approved this week for "Delivery of supplies and materials":
W 13th Street THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY THE WESTBOUND SOUTH CURB LANE OF W 13TH STREET BETWEEN MAIN STREET TO BALTIMORE AVE.
Walnut Street, THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY THE NORTHBOUND EAST CURB LANE OF WALNUT STREET BETWEEN E 13TH STREET TO W TRUMAN ROAD (NORTHSIDE).
Grand Blvd, THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY SOUTHBOUND WEST CURB LANE OF GRAND BLVD BETWEEN E 13TH STREET TO E 14TH STREET.
Date: FROM: 01-Apr-2020 TO: 30-Apr-2020 Permitted Working Hours: FROM: 6am TO: 6pm
This is clearly for Three Light, correct?

User avatar
normalthings
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm
normalthings wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:51 pm
Traffic Control Permit Approved this week for "Delivery of supplies and materials":
W 13th Street THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY THE WESTBOUND SOUTH CURB LANE OF W 13TH STREET BETWEEN MAIN STREET TO BALTIMORE AVE.
Walnut Street, THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY THE NORTHBOUND EAST CURB LANE OF WALNUT STREET BETWEEN E 13TH STREET TO W TRUMAN ROAD (NORTHSIDE).
Grand Blvd, THE CONTRACTOR MAY OCCUPY SOUTHBOUND WEST CURB LANE OF GRAND BLVD BETWEEN E 13TH STREET TO E 14TH STREET.
Date: FROM: 01-Apr-2020 TO: 30-Apr-2020 Permitted Working Hours: FROM: 6am TO: 6pm
This is clearly for Three Light, correct?
The road closures are for 3 distinctly different areas of P&L. Only the second closure is close to 3L but it is on the 2L side of the street.

Post Reply