Questions 1 and 2 passes, kc gets a superbowl, what next?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Questions 1 and 2 passes, kc gets a superbowl, what next?

Post by GRID »

Seriously, lets say it passes.  I think the stadiums will and even if the roof does not, I think the city, county, whoever will get a roof, be it retractable or rolling for the stadium by 2015, even if Hunt does it himself with some funky NFL, naming rights etc financing.

I'm not saying I'm for this, but lets just say it passes.

What does KC do in the next 9 years to host a superbowl.  Cities go nuts and do incredible things for a superbowl.  Detroit, Jacksonville etc.

Will this get a light rail line from Downtown east along I-70 going?

Will this force the city to open a new convention hotel by 2015?

Will a major development boom occur at the TSC, how about downtown?

Will MoDot push along plans to upgrade I-70 through the KC area?  Get the Paseo Bridge built and open?

I know it's just one event, but the amount of pre-development, planning etc leading up to a superbowl is pretty incredible.

What would or should KC do if this thing does pass?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Questions 1 and 2 passes, kc gets a superbowl, what next?

Post by bahua »

If KC gets a super bowl(when I'm 36...sigh), I think a number of ballot questions will come up, to build more shiney stuff, including interesting things in/near the TSC.

I think a regional vote for regional funding for a light rail line entirely within KCMO, will come up repeatedly, and be repeatedly defeated, never even coming close to passing, because of the regionality of the voting/funding.

I think the P&L District will really take off, and the ATA will set up additional BRT service, including service with electric buses.

That's just a start.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Convention space will have to increase, as that is one of the requirements.
Bartle Hall expands yet again...

Hotels are going to need to increase... Maybe even the 1,000 room hotel envisioned for the Convention Center could be built. Better transportation would be a must, hopefully Light Rail will come, possibly from Johnson County to Downtown...

The NFL didn't give us Super Bowl 49 for nothing. They did it so we could have 9 years to plan and build. That is more than any other city can claim ;)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

If any rail system starts, with the super bowl coming to town, it will almost certainly be either the downtown to the plaza line, or a downtown to the TSC line.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

The sales tax rate will increase past 10% for all this to happen..........
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCDevin wrote: Convention space will have to increase, as that is one of the requirements.
Bartle Hall expands yet again...

Hotels are going to need to increase... Maybe even the 1,000 room hotel envisioned for the Convention Center could be built. Better transportation would be a must, hopefully Light Rail will come, possibly from Johnson County to Downtown...

The NFL didn't give us Super Bowl 49 for nothing. They did it so we could have 9 years to plan and build. That is more than any other city can claim ;)
Yea, Devin, I forgot about the minimal 1 million sq ft of convention space needed.  I think that is planned anyway though in a couple of years.

We don't need rail from JoCo to downtown to host a superbowl though.  Plaza to Downtown with a spur to the TSC would be a start.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Not for the Super Bowl, but if they built light rail there, then ppl in Kansas would no doubt complain and would want light rail because the inner core got light rail ;)
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I tend to doubt JoCo would vote for a light rail extension from the spine.  The same thing was voted down by St Charles in St Louis because it "would bring crime from the city".  That's just my opinion though.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The superbowl or the stadiums have nothing to do with Johnson County, I could care less if they get light rail or not.  Save it for the other zilliion threads...

What will "KCMO" and or "Jackson County" do if these taxes pass?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

KCDevin wrote: Not for the Super Bowl, but if they built light rail there, then ppl in Kansas would no doubt complain and would want light rail because the inner core got light rail ;)
I know your just kidding,  but they love their SUV's too much. no way light rail will be used in JO CO. light rail from downtown to south plaza please 8)
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Grid, do you think we're going to have room left for more sales tax increases/bonding, etc to pay for a hotel, bartle expansion, light rail?
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

bahua wrote: build more shiney stuff, including interesting things in/near the TSC.
You mean add more stuff to a 43 year old stadium?  43 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!  FORTY THREE YEARS OLDDDDDD!!!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Do you think we should build a new Chiefs stadium? There is no way you are going to get the Chiefs or fans to demolish Arrowhead.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Kard wrote: Grid, do you think we're going to have room left for more sales tax increases/bonding, etc to pay for a hotel, bartle expansion, light rail?
Don't know.  We are getting maxed out, but again, this is a big deal.

Remember how much the city spent for its 150th birthday?  That would be a drop in the bucket if KC got a superbowl.

Here are things that will have to happen.

The stadiums and some sort of roof will have to be constructed.  (I personally think the roof will be voted on several times in different forms (retractable, rolling etc till it passes and if it does not pass, money will be found some other way).

I-70 will have to be dressed up and improved.

Blue Ridge will have to be dressed up and improved.

You will see some major projects proposed for not only TSC land but other areas along I-70.

Some sort of fixed transit be it light rail or BRT will have to connect downtown/plaza to the TSC.

A new 1000 room hotel and the final expansion of Bartle Hall would have to happen.

Other thing that don't have to happen but probably will...

The PAC will get in high gear.  (of course, if it's not built by 2015, it's toast anyway)

KCP&L District would go into later phases quicker and other downtown projects would start.

The city and county and state would go out of their way to repave streets, paint bridges etc.

KCI will get more direct flights to more destinations

Most downtown buildings will have major lighting enhancements.

Main side routes to the stadiums such as US-40, Linwood, Raytown Rd and Manchester will need to be addressed.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

GRID, Issue 2 on the ballet will be the Rolling Roof. If they approve both 1 and 2, then the rolling roof is approved.

At least someone else agrees with me on the amount that the Super Bowl will/can do for this city.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCDevin wrote: GRID, Issue 2 on the ballet will be the Rolling Roof. If they approve both 1 and 2, then the rolling roof is approved.
I know that, I'm just saying that I don't think the roof will pass on this first vote, but I think the roof will happen if question one passes.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCDevin wrote: GRID, Issue 2 on the ballet will be the Rolling Roof.
Then, the Nutcracker Suite.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

if question one  passes, it does not matter about question two. if it fails, then hunt will make something happen. a new plan, where it is only indoors for one game with panels, or as grid said, naming rights / nfl funded. either way, if question one passes, question two matters not. it is only a matter of time before hunt or the county makes that happen.

that will FINALLY spur some development near tsc, that is 34 years too late. now, everyone, do not freak out on me, go off, call me a horses ass, etc, here is why i say that. if question one passes, and the roof somehow happens, there will finally be a decent hotel get built over there, and perhaps another dining option or two. and then, probably, something else on the hill by fellowship of christian athletes. not much development, a hotel, perhaps another office building of some sort, and maybe a wendys, mcdonals, and perhaps, even something like olive garden / outback.

here is why. because, with the passage of 1 and 2, or just one, and the roof getting done somehow, then, kc gets not only a super bowl, but the all star game will rotate here within the next 10-12 years. kc is already due, it has been 34 seasons, and there are only 30 teams, and the influx of cities that got it due to new stadiums is running out. even if the remaining 3 teams get one that are crying for it, well, 3 plus st louis getting it, oakland, and 2 others, well, that is only 7 years. either way, kc will get an all star game within the next decade or so. we are just due.

now, beyond that, what else? i would see major things happening near the convention center, like another expansion, and a hotel finally, and hopefully, the performing arts center too.

this would all be nice, let me tell ya.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

it would definately take a LOT more work than the roof to get a super bowl here.  hundreds, if not thousands, of more hotel rooms.  doubling(?) the size of bartle hall.  not to mention the improvements all around jacko and the core.  lots of great stuff for sure, but at what price?  i'm not really sure how economically feasable it is to be chasing a super bowl for us.  arrowhead+roof puts the price tag at $500M(ish) before you even get to the other stuff.  i would say $1B would probably be spent on everything.  in order to make that back the city would have to collect rougyly $10,000 for every person who comes in for the super bowl.  granted, not every dime has to be made back in that one weekend, but that's a sizeable chunk of change to make back.  i'm not sure if it's worth the hassle myself.

as for the all star game, i agree that kc should be getting one soon so long as kauffman doesn't crumble like it's made of prefab concrete....  :-k:shock:
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

shaffe, if you didn't know, they are spending over $2bil on Downtown alone...