Hey! Lets start another thread bitching about the stadium.

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Hey! Lets start another thread bitching about the stadium.

Post by shaffe »

kauffman is a very nice park

the plan right now is to spend $225M(+?) of taxpayer money on ???

in 30+ years of existance, NOTHING has happened around the truman sports complex

so why should we spend $225M on kauffman, $300M on the chiefs, and (optionally) $170M on a rolling roof?

i don't give a rats ass what announcers say, go ask joe buck if he knows anything about crown center.  i would challenge joe morgan to educate us on developments at village west.  the fact of the matter is these sportscasters don't know a damn thing about our city other than what their producers feed into their earpieces.  producers feed the "kauffman is beautiful" bit because it's quite nice, and because there's nothing else to hilight.

as beautiful as kauffman is, give me three legitimate reasons why it's wise to spend well over $200M of taxpayer money on it.  anybody.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote:
Is your head stuck up a Cincinnati ass?  Pittsburgh and Cincy are not the only urban stadiums.   Denver, StL, San Francisco......oh yeah, you can't see that far.
i know there are others. i just mentioned one piece of crap built in the last few years. however, it was better then what they had.

you will not build something as nice as kauffman for less then 500m. no way, no how.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: i know there are others. i just mentioned one piece of crap built in the last few years. however, it was better then what they had.

you will not build something as nice as kauffman for less then 500m. no way, no how.
Aparently the K is a pile of crap right now needing >$250 million in improvements.  So, that means we can get a new stadium for only $250 more.  Sounds like a deal to me.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

kcdcchef wrote: you will not build something as nice as kauffman for less then 500m. no way, no how.
http://www.kmov.com/perl/common/slidesh ... extimage=0
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCDevin wrote: Kauffman is not a top 10 stadium... Not for anyone except maybe Royals fans.
Most people have kauffman listed as the number 2 stadium in the nation.  Its always been known as Americas ballpark, not NYC or wrigley...no ...kauffman set the bar back in the 60's.  I dont see how people cant like kauffman, its the most beautiful park in the world, in my opinion.  It used to be listed as THE ballpark on just about everyones A list. 

-I bet 99% of the people that dont support kauffman dont realize that it was built when cookie cutters were all the fad (much like howt the dt stadium idea is now) and it WAS the stadium that set the bar for building new stadiums. 
-Every seat is a perfect seat, no other stadium had ever had every seat face perfectly toward 2nd base.
-It is one of the only perfect stadiums, it is equal on all lengths, and has no advantage to a pitcher or the offense. 
-It had the biggest seating capacity of almost any stadium for baseball, and did have the record for the most in attendance for an all star game
-Its one of the last stadiums not to be ruined by advertising stunts, and fake crap plastered around the outfield like trains and mountains, simply put, less is more, and kauffman is THE only stadium left that gives a pristine natural feel to the game
-according to some, its built right here in Gods country, which is why it is indeed nothing less than perfect
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Aparently the K is a pile of crap right now needing >$250 million in improvements.  So, that means we can get a new stadium for only $250 more.  Sounds like a deal to me.
i am sure it does. however, the mayor and dtc do not endorse your plan.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

im2kull wrote: -I bet 99% of the people that dont support kauffman dont realize that it was built when cookie cutters were all the fad (much like howt the dt stadium idea is now) and it WAS the stadium that set the bar for building new stadiums. 
So because it was progressive when it opened it is progressive now?  It is a relic of the 1970s.
im2kull wrote: -It is one of the only perfect stadiums, it is equal on all lengths, and has no advantage to a pitcher or the offense. 
This is not a positive.  This is boring.  Ballparks were never intended to be "perfect."
im2kull wrote: -Its one of the last stadiums not to be ruined by advertising stunts, and fake crap plastered around the outfield like trains and mountains, simply put, less is more, and kauffman is THE only stadium left that gives a pristine natural feel to the game
And fountains beyond the outfield wall give that natural pristine feeling?  A Watson's hot tub?  A spinning Dodge truck?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: So because it was progressive when it opened it is progressive now?  It is a relic of the 1970s.

so is city center square. tear it down too and replace it with a new building.
lock&load wrote:
This is not a positive. This is boring. Ballparks were never intended to be "perfect."
exactly, which, is why, this relic of the 70's, is considered, NATIONALLY, better then 15-20 newer parks. let's go build some newer stadium JUST to be in the middle of the pack, 17th best park in the country or some shit like that.................no thanks. you been to us cellular? ballpark at arlington? great american ballpark? rogers center? tropicana? bank one? dumps. all.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

lock&load wrote: So because it was progressive when it opened it is progressive now?  It is a relic of the 1970s.
So wrigley field is a relic too, and it should be destroyed.  Hell, by this you can only imagine how many houses built before 1990 need destroyed because they are too conventional by modern terms, even if they were once the focus of a nation...aka..an all electric house!
lock&load wrote: This is not a positive.  This is boring.  Ballparks were never intended to be "perfect."
This one is, get used to it.  Perfection happens, see "pamela anderson" for further details.
lock&load wrote: And fountains beyond the outfield wall give that natural pristine feeling?  A Watson's hot tub?  A spinning Dodge truck?
No, I said the lack of crap like the watsons tub and truck. Thats what, 2 things, most other stadiums are loaded with junk.  Kauffman is the last stadium where the game remains the focus. 

Ex. 1 ^ notice how the stadium isnt loaded with cheap money making advertising schemes, and who cares if its in the middle of nowhere, I dont want to pay 1 billion just to see DT and get stuck in traffic.  Kauffman is peaceful, easy to access, makes money, and it is virtually a shrine to the game of baseball and to our local history.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

im2kull wrote: So wrigley field is a relic too, and it should be destroyed.  Hell, by this you can only imagine how many houses built before 1990 need destroyed because they are too conventional by modern terms, even if they were once the focus of a nation...aka..an all electric house!

This one is, get used to it.  Perfection happens, see "pamela anderson" for further details.

No, I said the lack of crap like the watsons tub and truck. Thats what, 2 things, most other stadiums are loaded with junk.  Kauffman is the last stadium where the game remains the focus. 

Ex. 1 ^ notice how the stadium isnt loaded with cheap money making advertising schemes, and who cares if its in the middle of nowhere, I dont want to pay 1 billion just to see DT and get stuck in traffic.  Kauffman is peaceful, easy to access, makes money, and it is virtually a shrine to the game of baseball and to our local history.
nice post im2kull. NICE POST. glad to see someone on here has sense about the k.

only one i feel bad for is mr. k, he has been rolling over in his coffin since october. poor guy.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

still waiting for 3 logical reasons why it makes sense to invest $200M+ of taxpayer money in a stadium just because it's pretty.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

shaffe wrote: still waiting for 3 logical reasons why it makes sense to invest $200M+ of taxpayer money in a stadium just because it's pretty.
1. not lose team, deffer on contracts with Jackson County & the sports auth., even if it sucks, it does make some money
2. Alternative to spending close to 1 billion down the road for a new stadium
3. Keep KC up to par with other newer stadiums

BONUS ROUND!!!
1. REPAIR BROKEN STUFF (think about it like a car, by now this baby has over a million miles, and just one tune up!)
2. Get an oppertunity for all star games
3. Make it easier to get around in the stadium (wider concourses)
4. Get rid of the nasty arse bathrooms and the long lines so that I dont have to take a wiz in the parking lot (they will renovate all and add more)
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shaffe wrote: still waiting for 3 logical reasons why it makes sense to invest $200M+ of taxpayer money in a stadium just because it's pretty.
still waiting for 3 to ditch a great stadium just because of location.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcdcchef wrote: still waiting for 3 to ditch a great stadium just because of location.
Hell, Im still waiting for one solid proven reason

for all the DT supporters: I used to greatly support a DT field, but I have seen it swing both ways, aka, denvers newer stadium compared to seattle's.  In denver it worked, it was great, but in seattle...mmm...lets just say the only development pushed by a new stadium was the bars, and im proud to announce that the warehouse district in which it was built, now has 5 blocks of less blight, and a great sun shaded 8sq blocks during sunny day games!  I'd be proud if I lived there, especially knowing the city still owes some 100 million on the (destroyed) King dome
THINK (ONE) KC.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Your logic is flawed.  Would you spend $10,000 to fix up your 1992 Buick when you could have a new one for $20,000?  No way.  You wouldn't spend $100k on a house from the 1970s either.  You'd buy a new one.  It now will cost $1 billion for a downtown ball park?  You've yet to show anything that can prove the $357 million estimate to be inaccurate.  Even if it is, it has now tripled?
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

im2kull wrote: Keep KC up to par with other newer stadiums
We should put this on our license plates.  "Up to Par"
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
2nd to last in MLB attendance.  :shock:
It baffles me that there is such an outcry to "save the royals from moving" during the offseason, yet during the season nobody goes to the games. I guess people just like seeing Kauffman Stadium on MetroSports or RSTN during the summer.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

NBA attendance, hmm, looks like 10-15 more teams have better attendance than the Royals do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

NHL attendance, oh look, the same, about 10-15 teams have better attendance than the Royals.

Why build a Downtown Stadium when you will have only about 17,000 to 20,000 people attending per game (with maybe a few games with over 40,000?)
Why build a Downtown Stadium when you can let the Royals rot and attract an NHL/NBA franchise and get almost as many people in attendance in a World Class Facility that is already located in the heart of Downtown?

Why allow the Royals to hurt renovation votes by teaming up with the Chiefs? Restrict the teams to different votes so the Chiefs can get what they want the Royals can be left to choose their three options?

I believe Lamar Hunt actually hurt his chances of the taxes being passed by teaming up with Glass.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Dunno if anyone has read this, I've read it before today but decided to post it:

LAMAR HUNT: “Mine is a Kansas City association that has covered 43 years, or approximately 870 football games – some of which I wished I’d missed. During the last 34 years the home games have taken place at Arrowhead Stadium and I very well remember the first game. I believe the date was August 12, 1972 – a pre-season game against the then-St. Louis Cardinals. It was a day in which Kansas City firmly established itself as a community with extraordinary vision from a public facility standpoint. That’s what these stadiums are: public facilities. They are not just baseball stadiums or football stadiums.

“The architects and engineers that worked on that project all those years ago really did an exceptional job in the context of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s planning. I think it’s important today – and very important on April 4 – for both Kauffman and Arrowhead to be brought into the 21st century.

“In November the National Football League took the exceptional initiative – and I can tell you it was really exceptional – when they awarded Kansas City a conditional Super Bowl based on the passage of the Rolling Roof and also obviously its weather-protected features and, on the (ballot) “Issue 1â€
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Clowns...... truely the blind leading the blind.

This Super Bowl thing is pure bribery, Hunt's way of having the NFL reward him with a rolling roof.
Everybody's goin ta get paid on this one.