Question 1

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Shall the County of Jackson impose a countywide sales tax at the rate of three-eighths of one percent (3/8%) for a period of twenty-five years from the date on which such tax is first imposed for the purpose of improving, renovating and modernizing the Ha

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 96

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Question 1

Post by kard »

I get a little pissed when I think about the total cost of a car loan and so I try to make a bigger down payment.  It's kinda common sense by now...
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: so, you are saying, that, when you buy a car, or a home, you say, well, really, it will cost this much over 10 or 25 years? i have bought a home and 2 cars, i have NEVER said that. i just say, okay, this is the sticker price, this is what the dealer adjusted it to after bargaining, this is what it costs. then, years later when you sell it, then, you say a different amount.
Most people I know don't go around advertising what they paid for their cars, homes, or anything else for that matter.

I understand what you are trying to say, and you are correct that $425/575 million is the cost of the renovations.  However, that is not the total cost to the taxpayers.  What part of that do you not understand?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

lock&load wrote: You continue to miss the point.  I never said it was anything but $575 million in renovations.  I said the total cost to taxpayers is $1.2 billion.  You say you bought a $412k home, because that is the value of the home.  That, however, is not the total cost to you.  That is only the value of the home.

You buy 25 shares of stock for $5 a share.  You say you paid $5 a share for the stock.  However, you also paid a commission to the broker.  That is a relevant cost.  The cost of the underlying property/improvements is not the only relevant piece of information.

Please visit the local University in Pittsburgh and enroll in a course in Finance.  You might learn something.
It is really a usage of words.  The cost of the home is $412k but the cost of financing it is an additional cost.  For tax purposes for captial gains, if needed, the cost is the $412k, not $412k plus the cost of interest payments.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It is really a usage of words.  The cost of the home is $412k but the cost of financing it is an additional cost.  For tax purposes for captial gains, if needed, the cost is the $412k, not $412k plus the cost of interest payments.
I am not talking about tax purposes.  I am talking about out of pocket cash flow.  Wrap your arms around that guys, it is not a complex issue.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Kard wrote: How did Barnes get her $18 number?

If we do the 1.2 billion (which could be the full cost of it over time):

$1,200,000,000 / 660,095* people in Jackson County
= $1817.92

$1817.92 / 25 years
= $72.72 per person per year

Is that way off?  I know--people from outside Jackson County will be paying, too.  So take off 30% (the SOS number) and you get around $50.

*US Census Bureau QuickFacts - http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/29/29095.html
Your numbers have been shown to be worthless propaganda.  From the Star today.

■ How much it will cost you.

In advertisements and guest columns, stadium supporters have stated that the renovations will cost a typical Jackson County taxpayer about $1.50 a month, or the equivalent of a cup of coffee. That is, the 3/8 th-cent sales tax will cost about $18 a year based on a person’s typical retail purchases.

Since then, the stadiums campaign and The Star have done more precise calculations and come up with slightly different per-person cost numbers. The campaign had reached its figure by taking Jackson County’s median household income and applying several calculations to it. However, the campaign has since found a more recent estimate of household income, and that ends up changing the per-person cost to $20.50 a year, or $1.70 a month. In addition, The Star found a more precise way to do the calculation, based on U.S. government statistics. The per-person cost works out to $23.10 a year, or $1.93 a month. That’s not a lot different in dollar terms.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Your numbers have been shown to be worthless propaganda.  From the Star today.

In advertisements and guest columns, stadium supporters have stated that the renovations will cost a typical Jackson County taxpayer about $1.50 a month, or the equivalent of a cup of coffee. That is, the 3/8 th-cent sales tax will cost about $18 a year based on a person’s typical retail purchases.

Since then, the stadiums campaign and The Star have done more precise calculations and come up with slightly different per-person cost numbers. The campaign had reached its figure by taking Jackson County’s median household income and applying several calculations to it. However, the campaign has since found a more recent estimate of household income, and that ends up changing the per-person cost to $20.50 a year, or $1.70 a month. In addition, The Star found a more precise way to do the calculation, based on U.S. government statistics. The per-person cost works out to $23.10 a year, or $1.93 a month. That’s not a lot different in dollar terms.

1.50 here and a 1.50 there the next thing you know you are like the frog in the pot of boiling water. I don't want to be that frog.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Your numbers have been shown to be worthless propaganda.  From the Star today.

funny thing is the no campaign is little more then scare tactics, and they spend their whole day shouting at the rein that the yes campaign is scare tactics. amazing philosophy.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

All hail the Star!  It has been the most unbiased and accurate media on this issue!!
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

^^^
If you read the letters to the editor plus the columns of guest writers they have been very open to the other side.  They have an opinion on the issue, which they are entitled to have and write about, but they have also let the other side free to express it points as well.

So what are you bitchin' about?  Hell, if the Star came out on your side of this issue you would be praising it up to high heaven.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
So what are you bitchin' about?  Hell, if the Star came out on your side of this issue you would be praising it up to high heaven.

that is what i keep saying. all these drama queens on here that keep raising hell about how bad the star sucks, if the star was on their side on this, they would be talking pulitzer prizes and how great of a publication it is.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D