Dan Glass: "We've been promised the All-Star Game if......"

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Dan Glass: "We've been promised the All-Star Game if......"

Post by Maitre D »

Is this guy the world's biggest butt-plug?  First off, at the Negro Leagues Ceremony 3 weeks ago, Danny-Boy decides not to show up to receive an award for being a supporter of the Museum.  (Think about that for a second).  He was "in Australia, scouting" so Muzzy Jackson accepted his award.  Yeah, my ass he was "scouting"!  More like, scuba-ing.

Now, daddy's boy - who has accomplished exactly ZERO in life - tells the baseball luncheon that Selig has promised us the All-Star game if the renovations come in.  WHOOOPS!  His bad!

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13732611.htm

SELIG contradicts dan glass, SAYS HE MADE NO PROMISESAll-Star Game is not definite for KC
By JEFF PASSANThe Kansas City Star

Eyes lit up when Royals president Dan Glass said Friday that commissioner Bud Selig had “informally ... promisedâ€
Last edited by Maitre D on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Dan Glass: "We've been promised the All-Star Game if......"

Post by Maitre D »

http://ap.thekansan.com/stories/state/k ... 5777.shtml

And now Daddy Incompetent is issuing the first threat of RELOCATION!!!!!  The nerve of these clowns!

Royals owner says team would explore "other options" if tax is voted down

DOUG TUCKER
AP Sports Writer
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The owner of the Kansas City Royals said Friday the team would "look at other options" if a sales tax to raise money for renovating aging Kauffman Stadium is voted down.

David Glass, who purchased the team from the estate of the late Ewing Kauffman six years ago for $96 million, emphasized he wants to keep the team in Kansas City. But in an interview prior to the annual Royals forecast luncheon, Glass declined an opportunity to state that relocating the franchise would be out of the question.

"If they decide no, we'll start looking at other options," said the former CEO of Wal-Mart.

Voters in Jackson County, Mo., will decide on April 4 on a three-eighths cent sales tax that over 25 years would generate about $425 million of the projected $575 million needed for upgrades to Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums.

The Royals would chip in $25 million and the Chiefs $75 million. Missouri tax credits would add another $50 million.

The stadiums opened in the early 1970s, and while they have retained their eye appeal, both are badly in need of renovation. The teams have signed renewals on their leases that keep them here until Jan. 31, 2031, provided the improvements are made.

If improvements are not made, the Jackson County Sports Authority could be in violation of the present lease, and the teams could be free to leave as early as 2007.

Few people expect the Chiefs, who perpetually sell out Arrowhead, to leave the area. A possibility would be to build a new football stadium on the Kansas side of the metropolitan area.

But the Royals, who have faced declining fan interest in a period where they've lost at least 100 games in three of the last four years, could be more vulnerable.

"I would hate to see this franchise ever be put in a position where they had to consider leaving Kansas City," said Glass. "I got involved with the team specifically to make sure that it stays in Kansas City. That's been my family's objective and it's still our objective.

"I think you have to do something with the facilities. You can't just go on and on without renovating."

Voters have already rejected one tax plan to raise money for stadium improvements. Jack Steadman, the Chiefs' vice chairman of the board, has indicated that there may not be a third opportunity.

"We'll get one more bite at the apple, and if this vote fails, I honestly don't see any more (ballot issues) coming," Steadman said when the teams signed their new leases earlier this week. "It would force us to look at other options, which we don't want to do."

A vocal segment of media and business is championing a new stadium in downtown Kansas City. But Glass says 80 percent of Kansas Citians the team has heard from would prefer to stay in Kauffman.

"I'm not exploring any other options because I'm assuming that this is the right thing to do, what we're going to go do," Glass said. "But should (the tax) fail, then we'll have to see what the other options are."

Unlike many cities with new downtown ballparks, Kansas City does not have a light rail system. Glass has never shown any interest in a new downtown stadium.

"The question is what can you control. I can't control all this," said Glass, who plans to campaign actively for passage of the tax.

"The right thing to do is renovate the sports complex and play baseball there for the foreseeable future."
Last edited by Maitre D on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

And now Daddy Incompetent is issuing the first threat of RELOCATION!!!!!  The nerve of these clowns!
Royals owner says team would explore "other options" if tax is voted down
Why deny that the teams do have options?
Why shouldn't those options be part of the discussion?
They would be in any other business location or relocation decision.
Jackson County voters will decide if we want to be (your choice) Omaha/Des Moines/Wichita or keep our teams.
Maybe arena football is what we deserve.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It doesn't matter where they go. If David Glass owns the Royals, and they are operated in the same manner as they have been, in Kansas City, they will continue to be one of the worst clubs in Major League Baseball.

He is such a douchebag.

This is for you, Glassy:

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Pastense wrote: Why deny that the teams do have options?
Why shouldn't those options be part of the discussion?
They would be in any other business location or relocation decision.
Jackson County voters will decide if we want to be (your choice) Omaha/Des Moines/Wichita or keep our teams.
Maybe arena football is what we deserve.

pastense

these types will only be happy AFTER we lose our teams. then they can sit there and say i told you so.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

It was interesting though, on KC Week in Review they showed clips of reporters asking the same question to each of the following - "is this a do or die vote? [as in, if this is voted down, is there another opportunity?]

Shields: Absolutely. There will be no other vote.
Hunt: Yes. There will be no other vote.
Glass: I don't know. What does "do or die" mean?

Seems like the Royals are keeping all options open. ppa, I don't think that quote necessarily means other options means Portland or Vegas, I think that "other options" means downtown or WyCo.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

these types will only be happy AFTER we lose our teams. then they can sit there and say i told you so.
Which types? Me?
I wouldn't be happy. That's why I'll vote for both taxes.

But I'm honestly trying to understand the opposition.
If you don't believe that the teams might have options or would leave KC, please explain what your belief is based upon.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Pastense wrote: Which types? Me?

If you don't believe that the teams might have options or would leave KC, please explain what your belief is based upon.

negative slick, i am agreeing with you. the others on here. there is one team that is about to get a new deal, dc formerly the expos, and now miami ( marlins ) are on the prowl. and anyone who is going to sit here and say the royals will not get a deal elsewhere because they suck, ummmmmm, yeah, the expos, 33 years, no pennants, no division crowns, nothing, no pure hall of famers, worse then the royals, they got a sweetheart deal in dc, and the city council is going to vote on it on the 7th, signifying, that the mayor, who would not let the vote happen until he had the votes, must have them. because it is going down in a week.

and charlotte, and portland, have both said no to stadium deals. why? because they had NO team. and believe it, if they have a deal in place, they will build it. it was in the charlotte observer last week, the city council is going to decide whether or not to consider hiring a consulting firm to explore it. and since miami is really thinking of moving, matter of time before another small team moves.

but yeah, fuck the royals, and the chiefs too, let em' go. noone else wants them, yeah, right, other cities do want them, and the momentum towards baseball teams moving is happening fast. look how savvy mlb execs made the bungling idiot expos into one of mlb's most valuable franchises, OVERNIGHT.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'll eat my hat if the Marlins move to Charlotte or Portland. The Florida legislature is not very far away from the demands of what the Marlins want (the only real sticking point now is whether or not to build a roof) and when they convene in March they'll get something done. The Marlins are just trying to force their hand. Think about what market you'd rather be in South Florida or Charlotte???

Its all posturing. The Royals, even if they wanted to move, are a LONG way from doing so. If this April vote is rejected we'll have a November vote. If that fails look for a downtown plan. Look for WyCo and Kansas to put something together. If all this fails, they'll finally start talking to other cities. But really, there aren't great options for them. I mean, look how long it took the Expos to move and that was clearly a situation where Montreal wasn't going to build a stadium, where attendance had become an embarrasement and where DC was an overwhelmingly obvious site to relocate. Despite all that it took almost a decade to move that team.

For those thinking that if the April vote is rejected, the Royals will move the next day, you really are buying into the fearmongering that the KC Star and others are spouting. The Royals will take every opportunity they can to get free money from KC before looking elsewhere.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I'll eat my hat if the Marlins move to Charlotte or Portland. The Florida legislature is not very far away from the demands of what the Marlins want (the only real sticking point now is whether or not to build a roof) and when they convene in March they'll get something done. The Marlins are just trying to force their hand. Think about what market you'd rather be in South Florida or Charlotte???

me personally, charlotte, because at least it has some sort of a winter. and i am a cold weather dude. the marlins are not getting serious results from charlotte, or portland, or vegas, whom, selig says he thinks is ready for a franchise, because they are not serious about a move. yet.

look at the expos max. all from 98-04 it was talk, about perspective groups, and sites. and until december of 2004, nowhere, was serious, except dc, because the expos, and mlb, were never consistent or serious about a move. but, then, it happened, and wow, look at the transition there. the only sticking point for dc was cost overruns, and they fixed that. they are ready to vote, mlb is assuming responsibilty for the cost overruns, since it is now a 650m project.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

the royals are nowhere NEAR leaving kc. a failed april 4th vote will not get them closer. a failed april 4th vote, along with the county screwing around with this much longer, will. this time next year, if we are having the same talk, they will be getting closer. no other city in mlb in the last 10 years had to deal with this circus of tsc versus downtown crap, because they all had shitty stadiums. and like it or not, no matter which side you are on, the downtown talk is only hurting this cause. because the downtown stadium does not have real numbers, important supporters in local, municipal, county, and statutory goverment, nor does it have the momentum. the tsc side, for a plether of reasons, does.

like it or not, everyone log in and blast the shit out of me for saying it, but it is true.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Pastense wrote: Which types? Me?
They're not moving man.  Stop being a pushover.

1.  I want to lock them up as well.  We're in the same boat.  But my plan costs 1/4 of yours.  I'm trying to understand YOUR OPPOSITION to that!  We can lock them up automatically for another 9 years if we just give them 100M bucks.  This whole 400M+ nonsense is nothing more than greed. 

2.  Portland & Charlotte have already refused stadium initiatives.  So that leaves....where exactly?  The Las Vegas mayor said recently they could NOT support an MLB team.  Where are you afraid they'll go exactly?

The Chiefs could go to LA I suppose, but that decision is not imminent - especially with the Saints and their whole New Orleans conundrum.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcdcchef wrote: no other city in mlb in the last 10 years had to deal with this circus of tsc versus downtown crap, because they all had shitty stadiums.
And no other city in MLB in the last 50 has had to deal with 100-loss seasons in 3 of 4 years.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: And no other city in MLB in the last 50 has had to deal with 100-loss seasons in 3 of 4 years.
yeah, because those braves in atlanta in the 80's were so much better......................92 losses, 106 losses, 97 losses, 97 losses. oh but wait, there is so much desparity between 100, 104, 107, and 97, 97, and 106. yeah, huge gap there ppa.

or detroit............96, 106, 119. we have not touched that.

or the new york mets, the only team in the last 50 years to have 5 out of 6 seasons with 100+ losses. oh wait, i thought the royals were the only team in the past 50?? guess 1962-1967 was 100 years ago. 120, 111,109, 112,101. all in 6 years time, but no, we are worse then that.

now, the pirates of the 50's, were exactly 50 years ago, 104, 112, 105 losses. or how bout those padres? they had 4 out of 6, and yes, you guessed it, 3 out of 4 seasons, with 100+ losses. 110, 100, 102, 102. and that was from 69-74.

or the blue jays of the late 70's, 3 in a ROW.

or the devil rays, 2 in a row, followed by a 99 loss season.

wow. lot of examples, there, toronto, san diego, or the mets. wow, all in the last 50 years. quit having your kid do your research. it already shows he does your posts.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

No team since the Toronto Blue Jays of the late 1970s has lost 100 games three times in four years, a feat the Royals most likely will pull off this week. Toronto was an expansion team. So were the previous three franchises to pull off the dubious feat — San Diego, Washington and the New York Mets. In the last 50 years, no established team has sloughed through a four-season stretch like the Royals

Meant to say, non-expansion team.  So.....you can compare the Royals to expansion teams if you like.  Fine by me.  35 years into it, and we've sunk so low we're compared to historically bad EXPANSION teams.

WHatever helps you sleep at nite, Cook.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

We can lock them up automatically for another 9 years if we just give them 100M bucks.  This whole 400M+ nonsense is nothing more than greed. 
=D> =D> =D> Finally, some sanity. I don't understand why this is so hard for the Jackson County Legislature to understand.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCMax wrote: =D> =D> =D> Finally, some sanity. I don't understand why this is so hard for the Jackson County Legislature to understand.
Not only that but so many on this forum.  The County understands that but chooses to bow to the teams demands anyway.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Sadly Max, it's not just the legislature.  Did you catch the part in the first article, about Kevin Gray running around like a crazed maniac - rushing to tell people that the AS Game is coming?

I know someone who ran into him.  Said Gray was worrying about the teams moving: "We're really in a huge bind" said Gray.  I mean, I understand that his JOB comes from having Sports teams here.....and that he's fine paying that onerous 3/8 cent tax.....but come on.

I'm curious to know, what exactly did Hunt & Glass-Hole ask for and NOT receive in these "negotiations"??  

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Pitts, Move to Jackson County then people "might" listen to what you have to say.  Till then, go protest the color of a target or something.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

1.  I want to lock them up as well.  We're in the same boat.  But my plan costs 1/4 of yours.  I'm trying to understand YOUR OPPOSITION to that!   We can lock them up automatically for another 9 years if we just give them 100M bucks.  This whole 400M+ nonsense is nothing more than greed.  
I'd rather spend money on a public asset than hand them cash, which (like a downtown stadium) they've never asked for.
I don't need to be opposed to your "plan". It's not on the ballot.
For all those like you who have a better idea, do a ballot initiative.
Remember Clay Chastain.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Well, Grid is right: I don't live in Jackson County.  So really, I'm not that concerned if it passes or it fails. 

If they want to tack on a massive 3/8 cent sales tax on themselves for 25 years, by all means: go for it.  It's going to kill business competitiveness for those firms located in the county, but hell, what do I care?  Their leaders have zero negotiating skills.