Wizards Stadium update

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Wizards Stadium update

Post by SamPierron »

I have been in contact with all of the players in a possible soccer stadium.  I thought the good people of this board should get the news first.

If it happens, it'll be in JoCo.

Here's the best reason why:

Soil testing done to the Riverside spots shows that, while it would be pretty good for a field complex (and one may well wind up there, though a smaller one), it would be awful for a stadium.  It's alluvial plain, and there isn't bedrock anywhere close to the surface.  It's a lot easier to support even a big box store than it is a stadium.  One of the two groups I talked to thinks a  lot of the Riverside location, the other, I had to try to convince them a bit more. 

Also, all parties are locked into the complex/stadium synergy, more for the financing than for any particular benefit to team operations.

Just thought you might like to know.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Wizards Stadium update

Post by trailerkid »

Thank you...  :D

Too bad about the Riverside site. I hope they continue to investigate it. So is it Olathe or Lenexa now?
Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

I just talked to my uncle John Ramsey who is a city councilman of Lenexa, and he told me that they have had talks with one of the groups interested.  He said that the city is intrested in building a complex, however they are not completely sold on the idea because the group wants to make the city of Lenexa foot most of the bill, and when it came to money from the groups side of the deal that they didnt have a complete answer on how much they could invest.  I hope something gets done, I just dont know if it will.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

please make it within the 435 loop is all I ask so all of the metro can enjoy it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: please make it within the 435 loop is all I ask so all of the metro can enjoy it.
Where is that possible in Jo Co?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

trailerkid wrote: Where is that possible in Jo Co?
Lenexa is north of I-435 I think...though someone correct me if I'm wrong.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Tosspot wrote: Lenexa is north of I-435 I think...though someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I think he means generally inside the 435 loop...correct me if I'm wrong KC(P).

Lenexa is supposed to build out something like 80,000 and the center of town will be Ridgeview and 87th. It is so far west that I think I'd rather have the stadium development in West Wy Co than Lenexa.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Lenexa runs pretty must east to west.  I-435  runs pretty much in and south of Lenexa.  I-435 north is more Shawnee than Lenexa. (Does that make sense??)  I'm confused now.  Anyway, I think that the I-435 K-10, and I-35 area is the best place to put this new stadium.  This is the heart of Johnson County and also the epicenter of future residential develpment in the county.  I do understand why someone from Lee's Summit or Blue Springs would oppose this idea, however the MLS is a business.  Money talks, and Johnson County has it.            Just think about it,  Lenexa, Shawnee, Olathe, Leawood, Mission Hills, Overland Park, Prarie Village, etc. etc.  That's a whole lotta 450,000 some people that have the money and the passion for soccer to keep it alive and profitable.  Not trying to pick sides, but  87th and I-435 in Lenexa is the perfect place to put this stadium.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Riverside would be more forward looking since future suburban growth is shifting decisively to the Northland, but if the Jocos want to pay for it them let them have it.  Maybe they'll become more understanding of the situation in KCMO and the general bistate concept once they have some direct experience with one city or county footing the bill for something that is used by the entire region.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

trailerkid wrote: It is so far west that I think I'd rather have the stadium development in West Wy Co than Lenexa.
You're probably the only one
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

skim82 wrote: Lenexa runs pretty must east to west.  I-435  runs pretty much in and south of Lenexa.  I-435 north is more Shawnee than Lenexa. (Does that make sense??)  I'm confused now.  Anyway, I think that the I-435 K-10, and I-35 area is the best place to put this new stadium.  This is the heart of Johnson County and also the epicenter of future residential develpment in the county.  I do understand why someone from Lee's Summit or Blue Springs would oppose this idea, however the MLS is a business.  Money talks, and Johnson County has it.            Just think about it,  Lenexa, Shawnee, Olathe, Leawood, Mission Hills, Overland Park, Prarie Village, etc. etc.  That's a whole lotta 450,000 some people that have the money and the passion for soccer to keep it alive and profitable.  Not trying to pick sides, but  87th and I-435 in Lenexa is the perfect place to put this stadium.
435 bisects Lenexa and Shawnee geographically

450,000 in JoCo, yes but remember there are 600,000 suburban residents on the Missouri side and growing as well.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I-435 runs right through Lenexa. The city limits go approximately from I-35 on the east to God knows where on the west and 75th Street on the north to around College Boulevard on the south. So Lenexa is north, south, east, and west of I-435. I-435 and 87th Street is in the middle of the city limits but at the western edge of current continuous development. The I-435/K-10 intersection is completely within Lenexa.

To clarify, I-435 going north to KCK bisects Shawnee and Lenexa east/west.
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

KCPowercat wrote: please make it within the 435 loop is all I ask so all of the metro can enjoy it.
How about if it's within 3 minutes of I-435?  Good enough?
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Yes, the northland is growing.  But, come on folks, JoCo isn't slowing down anytime either.  I understand that it''s an exciting time  for growth in the Northland, but trust me, Johnson County will NOT slow down.  I've seen the numbers from the KCHBA suggesting that the Northland has taken a certain % off JoCo's growth.  I agree, it's a good thing for the Northland, but let's be realisitc, it seems like people are taking the northland's growth a little too far.  Johnson County is still the best place for now and the future to build this new soccer specific stadium. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

skim82 wrote: Yes, the northland is growing.  But, come on folks, JoCo isn't slowing down anytime either.  I understand that it''s an exciting time  for growth in the Northland, but trust me, Johnson County will NOT slow down.  I've seen the numbers from the KCHBA suggesting that the Northland has taken a certain % off JoCo's growth.  I agree, it's a good thing for the Northland, but let's be realisitc, it seems like people are taking the northland's growth a little too far.  Johnson County is still the best place for now and the future to build this new soccer specific stadium. 
JoCo would be a good place for a stadium, too bad it would have to be along K-7 or 159th though.  That would be like putting it in Grain Valley or Kearney.  If it were built on the edge of JoCo, most of the rest of the city would ignore the team, but I guess whatever works.

Oh, and you are totally underestimating the growth of the northland, east jack and cass.  JoCo is now down to about 30 percent of the new homes going up in the city and the gap will only keep growing.

I would just assume the soccer complex go out by the speedway which is more of a destination now than anything in JoCo for the rest of the metro.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

To clarify, I-435 going north to KCK bisects Shawnee and Lenexa east/west
Actually it bisects KCK too. The speedway for example is just outside of the I-435 loop.

I can name at least 3 good locations for the Wizards stadium near the I-435 loop in western Wyandotte County. However it seems to me that KCMO has plenty of space for a Soccer stadium too, so why is no one looking at space in KC itself. After all the last thing I want is the team to be called the Lenexa Wizards, or the Kansas Wizards.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMO has its hands full, I’m surprised that Platte County has not aggressively pursued it though, they seem very interested in creating tournament quality sports facilities and there are some great locations along 152 or of course the Riverside bottoms.  I’m just saying, if it goes to KS, put it in WyCo where it’s part of an overall family destination with the Speedway area.  I’m telling you, if it goes way out on the edge of JoCo, most Missourians will ignore it for several reasons.  Other than SW KC, the MO side no longer goes to JoCo to shop, dine etc unless they work there with the exception of an occasional trip to Oak Park Mall.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

GRID wrote:Other than SW KC, the MO side no longer goes to JoCo to shop, dine etc unless they work there with the exception of an occasional trip to Oak Park Mall.
Keep telling yourself that. I see no shortage of Missouri license plates anywhere in Johnson county. I work at a wal-mart in Shawnee and a ton of Missourians come in there, and are usually pissed because they only sell 3.2% beer.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What I am saying is that JoCo is no longer a weekend shopping/entertainment/dinning destination for suburban MO.  People used to drive down there from the northland, east jack and cass even for a dinner and a movie.  Now there is no reason to.

Of course there are a ton of MO cars over there.  Like I said, it’s still the closest retail market for SKC and WKC and even into the Midtown/Downtown, that is a lot of people.

Plus, people tend to forget that 60 percent of the metro population lives in MO and that is reflected in the daily workforce in JoCo, especially along College Blvd.

But, I am seeing more and more where people are staying away from JoCo unless they have to go there and more and more people exploring WyCo and other areas outside of JoCo.

I thought you would like that DMW ;).
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

GRID wrote: But, I am seeing more and more where people are staying away from JoCo unless they have to go there and more and more people exploring WyCo and other areas outside of JoCo.
GRID

As someone who grew up in Johnson County, I can't agree with you more.  In fact, this is one of the key reasons why I am planning to move to the downtown area after gaduation.  119th, Sante Fe, etc. are the biggest clusterf@cks when it comes to traffic.  My parents lived in Olathe when I was in ndergrad.  They asked why I never visited.  I told them Santa Fe. I just couldn't be bothered.  I would rather shoot myself then attempt to drive that road.