Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:49 pm What are you talking about. I just said Target Field is great. The metrodome sucked. They were both downtown. Location had nothing to do with increased attendance, a new much better stadium did. KC's stadium is fine. It's not just fine, it's one of the best stadiums in the league to watch a game at. So KC Is not going to get more fans with a new stadium, especially if not even as good a place to watch a game as Kauffman is.

You apparently will see what you want to see though.
I’ve said this before several times on here- I don’t really care about the size or the “cookie cutter” whatever approach to the physical stadium. All I care about is what spin-off is built around it. That’s the true battle.

Most downtown stadiums see increases in attendance- if there was no benefit to this, they wouldn’t try to move. And yes, being in proximity to the stadium does improve people’s chances of going who live by. Just because you wouldn’t doesn’t mean others don’t. Ok, I will grant that people in your age range may not spontaneously go to games like that. But, I know several who would and have said “if Royals were downtown I’d actually go to a few games” instead of the zero they attend now. Going to a restaurant and/or bar before a game and being able to walk to the stadium actually appeals to some people, and would make up for the fact they have to go see a piece of shit baseball team. That’s how you get more fans even when they suck. Not hard.

P.S. the top sports architecture firms in the world aren’t gonna design a dud in their hometown
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

People my age Lol, you have no idea who you are talking to. I go to more games in DC and Baltimore than the people I know that live next to the stadiums. I also know more about the economic activity in the neighborhoods around those stadiums and what's being proposed and built than most people that live in said same neighborhoods.

Sounds to me like you have zero interest in the Royals and just want to go if the Royals move downtown. Well, that's not exactly a demographic that's going to make a difference either. I mean good lord, Downtown KC is not that big. You act like it's Boston or something. The entire downtown area is like 30k and that's a massive area. That's half the population of Blue Springs and a tiny fraction of the metro. People that live near the stadium will barley make a difference at all. Especially in KC.
P.S. the top sports architecture firms in the world aren’t gonna design a dud in their hometown
If KC can't afford a proper modern MLB caliber stadium, then sure they could. KCI could have been an architectural masterpiece too with the design firms KC has, but KC is an "economy" type town with extremely limited budgets when it comes to stuff like this and the new stadium is likely to reflect that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

What makes a studio a "top firm" is having deep-pocketed clients. Most are capable of designing great things, few can service wealthy and discerning clients.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:07 pm People my age Lol, you have no idea who you are talking to. I go to more games in DC and Baltimore than the people I know that live next to the stadiums. I also know more about the economic activity in the neighborhoods around those stadiums and what's being proposed and built than most people that live in said same neighborhoods.

Sounds to me like you have zero interest in the Royals and just want to go if the Royals move downtown. Well, that's not exactly a demographic that's going to make a difference either. I mean good lord, Downtown KC is not that big. You act like it's Boston or something. The entire downtown area is like 30k and that's a massive area. That's half the population of Blue Springs and a tiny fraction of the metro. People that live near the stadium will barley make a difference at all. Especially in KC.
If KC can't afford a proper modern MLB caliber stadium, then sure they could. KCI could have been an architectural masterpiece too with the design firms KC has, but KC is an "economy" type town with extremely limited budgets when it comes to stuff like this and the new stadium is likely to reflect that.
If I went back to 2018 on this website, I wonder if I could find a post from you saying “This Patrick Mahomes having a good start to his career? Oh that’s nothing, we have guys out East who are MUCH better than him. Threw 50 TD passes this year? Nonsense, in Baltimore/New York I’ve seen guys who throw 60 at a minimum! You guys think your QB is special, but he’s not! He’s nothing compared to [insert random eastern city] backup players who don’t even start!”
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nope, I flew to KC to watch him play in 2018. The only NFL games I have been to in DC and Baltimore have been Chiefs games.

Also drove to NYC to watch the Royals win the world series in 2015 but have seen t hem play over over half the stadiums in the country.

While I enjoy going to the MLB and NHL games here, the Chiefs and Royals will always be my teams and if they are in town and we go to a game, we are full blown KC fans.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:09 pm Nope, I flew to KC to watch him play in 2018. Also drove to NYC to watch the Royals win the world series in 2015. While I enjoy going to the MLB and NHL games here, the Chiefs and Royals will always be my teams and if they are in town and we go to a game, we are full blown KC fans.
Then just move back to KC. It would also give you more respect and clout with your opinions being a resident and in the community.

And GRID I left DC in college because it sucked and it was way too expensive. Unless you're an elected official, life there was hell. So come on. Nobody actually likes living there, they just have to if you want any career in politics.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:15 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:09 pm Nope, I flew to KC to watch him play in 2018. Also drove to NYC to watch the Royals win the world series in 2015. While I enjoy going to the MLB and NHL games here, the Chiefs and Royals will always be my teams and if they are in town and we go to a game, we are full blown KC fans.
Then just move back to KC. It would also give you more respect and clout with your opinions being a resident and in the community.
You might think I'm hard on KC, but honestly most of the time it's just honesty. KC is a great town, but I'm not shy about saying what's wrong with it.

KC is way better than Baltimore for example. At least in many ways. In many ways it's not though.

I continue to this day to promote KC and show it off to people out here. Most people out here just do not care about KC, but they are generally surprised when they come to my home and see my large photos of it hanging up.

I'm just trying to give you an honest opinion about stuff. Having been a KC supporter all my life, I still have my finger on the pulse of that city more than 95% of the locals do. I know its culture and the challenges it faces to do stuff. You have to be honest about that stuff or you will never achieve anything truly spectacular there because the bare bones basic cheapest way to do things tends to be the way there and even that takes forever.

Don't take what I say personally. I love the city, that's why I post here. I was literally pausing MNF to stare at the skyline shots lol.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

And GRID I left DC in college because it sucked and it was way too expensive. Unless you're an elected official, life there was hell. So come on. Nobody actually likes living there, they just have to if you want any career in politics.
Not true at all. I love DC and the entire general area. So much to do that you can't really even keep up with it all. And then you ahve the ocean, mountains, NYC, Philly etc just down the road.

People that say that are just silly or don't like cities in general. Just since I have moved to the area, DC culture has drastically changed. You still have that element, but now much of the city feels more like Seattle, Boston etc. Hundreds of miles of bike trails, parks everywhere, people out everywhere all the time, no matter what. I don't even live in DC, I live in Annapolis, which is similar on a smaller scale. Even the suburbs are liberal out here. It's different out here, but it's more my pace. Still love KC though.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:28 pm

Not true at all. I love DC and the entire general area. So much to do that you can't really even keep up with it all. And then you ahve the ocean, mountains, NYC, Philly etc just down the road.

People that say that are just silly or don't like cities in general. Just since I have moved to the area, DC culture has drastically changed. You still have that element, but now much of the city feels more like Seattle, Boston etc. Hundreds of miles of bike trails, parks everywhere, people out everywhere all the time, no matter what. I don't even live in DC, I live in Annapolis, which is similar on a smaller scale. Even the suburbs are liberal out here. It's different out here, but it's more my pace. Still love KC though.
I feel pretty confident in saying that's not the comfort and experience most of us have had in living in DC. And that comes from people I met there from many, many different parts of the country.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:34 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:28 pm

I feel pretty confident in saying that's not the comfort and experience most of us have had in living in DC.
Well I have one son that has graduated and lives in Navy Yard with his wife and they love it. They are not like the people you describe at all. My other son is going to school in DC and he also likes it. And again, I live in Annapolis, not DC proper.

I am surrounded by water and boats here, which a nice change from the midwest. I can be in DC or Baltimore in 30 minutes by car or by transit. I can be across the bay bridge in ten minutes. Can day trip to Philly, NYC, Ocean City or mountain bike in the VA, MD, PA or WV mountains. Recreation out here is off the charts compared to KC or anything in the midwest. I have three major airports to fly from. I love the fast pace of the metro that goes on forever. Traffic can be a pain, but it comes with the territory is not that bad. Traffic here is super busy from Maine to the Carolinas. The entire east coast is just a busy place, but I would rather drive on the Jersey Turnpike than the 435 north loop in KC. Give me 12 lanes of traffic going 85mph lol.

I'm in DC all the time, but I don't live there. It's super diverse here. Anywhere you go, you are around people from all over the world.

DC is growing very fast with young people, so I just think it was not a fit for you, but lots of people like it. I like KC but I was always out of place culturally in the Midwest.

For the record, I like the west coast too and the bigger cities of the Midwest (Chicago, MSP etc) and Denver is still one of my favorite cities.

Maybe someday I will move back to KC, but my kids have no interest so probably not.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

So the stadium?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:48 pm So the stadium?
Sorry, AlkaliAxel made me do it. 8)

Downtown Stadium yes!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:53 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:48 pm So the stadium?
Sorry, AlkaliAxel made me do it. 8)

Downtown Stadium yes!
Lol, I stand by everything I said. There's alot more terrain and better weather in KC area for biking compared to flat DC. It's not my fault they haven't extended the trails long enough yet, but the terrain is much better and more true outdoors by far. I'll grant that DC is a better place for long walks, but not outdoors activities in the city area at all.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You didn't get out much while you lived here did you. There is absolutely no comparison. I mean you can ride a bike from Georgetown to the Great Falls National Park in like 30 minutes lol. It's not flat. DC is now one of the most bike friendly cities in the country. KC is still one of the worst.

Oh and DC to me is DC+ the VA/MD suburbs and beyond.

I would love to debate this with you, but should probably stick to the KC stadium.
teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

I'll just plop this link here. I must say that it was even better when it still had pictures. Wanna guess who created it?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/kansas- ... f-you.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

teclis wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:09 pm I'll just plop this link here. I must say that it was even better when it still had pictures. Wanna guess who created it?

And that was several years after I left KC! Need to update that post, I still get PMs all the time from people asking questions about KC from that.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm
teclis wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:09 pm I'll just plop this link here. I must say that it was even better when it still had pictures. Wanna guess who created it?

And that was several years after I left KC! Need to update that post, I still get PMs all the time from people asking questions about KC from that.
Did GRID make that post before he got blackpilled?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grid is a great KC advocate online (and off). One of the OG online
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm

I'm not sure I get the hostility. I mean we generally agree that moving the stadium downtown is a good thing.

All I'm saying is:

That it's not really going to effect attendance beyond the honeymoon year, if KC even has that. New stadiums don't sell out for their first five years like they used to. New stadiums are nothing new now, so I don't think KC will see 400 straight sellouts like Camden Yards or Jacobs Field did anyway.

KC already has what 95% of MLB fans would say is a very nice stadium despite its location. Kauffman Stadium is not keeping fans away and it's actually quite a popular stadium and now it's pretty unique. The problem is it's old and it's just time to build a new one. However, if KC does not go all out and build a stadium that is top notch in an area that is appealing to fans, then it could actually hurt attendance. There is nothing all that great about the east side of downtown KC. The stadium won't have cool views, the areas around will always be pretty 9-5ish with gov buildings etc. I mean you can walk to the P&L district or something but that alone is just not going to bring any more fans than attend now.

And after five years of typical Royals baseball it might bring less. Even if the stadium is downtown 95% of the fans will still come from outside of downtown. That is all I'm saying.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I'm trying to make a point that this project has to be done right and I'm sorry, but KC typically does things on the cheap. Dirt Cheap. You get what you pay for.

You are dead set against the Vine district location. Does that mean you hate KC, hate the downtown stadium and hate everything? Probably not.

A stadium can work at either location, but it's going to take a billion dollars or more either way to really make it work. Anything less and you may as well renovate Kauffman again. Because the fans that do actually like the Royals and want to actually watch the game more than go to happy hour at some bar will be pissed if the new stadium sucks compared to Kauffman. And those are your base fans (season ticket holders etc) that you really need to keep happy, not the kids on the scooters that got bored one night and went to a game.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:28 pm Grid is a great KC advocate online (and off). One of the OG online
Thanks. Same to ya.