Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

Grid pretty much has this right. The question is how the ownership group raises a billion dollars to build it. Until then, we’re just playing monopoly.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish the City would give a deadline for the Royals to make up their minds on location. Having parcels in the East Village locked up for years is not helping anyone.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:47 pm I wish the City would give a deadline for the Royals to make up their minds on location. Having parcels in the East Village locked up for years is not helping anyone.
It isn't the Royal's fault that certain land owners choose to do that.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:47 pm I wish the City would give a deadline for the Royals to make up their minds on location. Having parcels in the East Village locked up for years is not helping anyone.
Probably thinking, “what’s a few more decades at this point?”
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:52 pm I'm trying to make a point that this project has to be done right and I'm sorry, but KC typically does things on the cheap. Dirt Cheap. You get what you pay for.
I'm not sure this cliche is correct anymore. I used to think the same thing, but this city is starting to get it right in the last decade. Sure, there is only so much funding to go around, but I think city leaders are getting smart on how to use money effectively and not to cut corners. There really seems to be some momentum and synergy building. I'm even starting to notice a significant number of out of state plates when travelling around.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:08 am
GRID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:52 pm I'm trying to make a point that this project has to be done right and I'm sorry, but KC typically does things on the cheap. Dirt Cheap. You get what you pay for.
I'm not sure this cliche is correct anymore. I used to think the same thing, but this city is starting to get it right in the last decade. Sure, there is only so much funding to go around, but I think city leaders are getting smart on how to use money effectively and not to cut corners. There really seems to be some momentum and synergy building. I'm even starting to notice a significant number of out of state plates when travelling around.
I think that's why people like myself are befuddled and confused sometimes when we here "progress is slow in KC" because in the time frame I've been able to really witness KC as a kid growing up (2010 and on) all I've ever seen are buildings and apartments rapidly shooting up everywhere in JoCo and seeing downtown absolutely explode with development and streetcars out of nowhere. It's literally all I've ever seen and known here. So that's shaped my view of KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:50 pm
The City controls many of the key parcels in the East Village.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:39 am
I think that's why people like myself are befuddled and confused sometimes when we here "progress is slow in KC" because in the time frame I've been able to really witness KC as a kid growing up (2010 and on) all I've ever seen are buildings and apartments rapidly shooting up everywhere in JoCo and seeing downtown absolutely explode with development and streetcars out of nowhere. It's literally all I've ever seen and known here. So that's shaped my view of KC.
Moved to Dallas 6 years ago and every time I go back theres new buildings downtown and more cool developments on the way. Doesn't seem slow to me at all.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:28 pm Grid is a great KC advocate online (and off). One of the OG online
Correction, KCMO advocate while feeding state line divisiveness.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:25 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:50 pm
The City controls many of the key parcels in the East Village.
That's a good point, especially given it's apparently not the preferred spot by City or owner. Need to move on with EV if not going to be a candidate for stadium.

And keep in mind a move may be a long shot still unless nearly entirely privately funded as a vote for more tax burden is highly unlikely to pass among other reasons.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

MLB has been predicted to dwindle for decades and always proven wrong but even so, it does seem a little different with GenZ as eSports is taking off...

If private investors want to fund a new baseball stadium that's fine but could be a bit risker for any public involvement if the tide really is changing.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/28/g ... ts-fandom/
Last edited by earthling on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

So, we're going to be stuck with more NBA and Esports?!? Two non-sports.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^It's just one survey but probably right about how popular eSports is becoming and may increase share over time. The question is, of top 4 pro sports, which are mostly likely to be impacted by eSports long term? MLB and NHL do seem like the ones to take the bigger hit. Another factor is that for better/worse, WallStreet is becoming more broadly engaged into eSports.

More on how popular eSports becoming...
https://onlinegrad.syracuse.edu/blog/es ... al-sports/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Really surprised MLS is so low!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I was too as soccer popular with kids.

MLB could perhaps invest heavily into MLB-based video games and sponsor eSports events for those games. Can cross-promote both 'platforms' with MLB players attending eMLB games, etc, keeping baseball overall relevant. But given it's a slow game hard to say if can work as an e-spectator sport.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I would generally agree. KCMO has turned a pretty big corner since about 2006. Hopefully the momentum continues and companies come back to the center city now. But yes, lots of positives happening in KC right now. That doesn't mean I wouldn't push for the best plan possible if the Royals move downtown. They need to move quickly on that so KC can quit the land banking.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:29 pm ^I was too as soccer popular with kids.

MLB could perhaps invest heavily into MLB-based video games and sponsor eSports events for those games. Can cross-promote both 'platforms' with MLB players attending eMLB games, etc, keeping baseball overall relevant. But given it's a slow game hard to say if can work as an e-spectator sport.
Anecdotally, the big one I notice with teens and Gen Z peers is always just NBA fandom. It’s always amazed me how many kids here I talk to that hardcore follow the NBA when we don’t even have a team, but at the same time are “meh” on the Royals who are right here in town. My two brothers, in their teenage years, and all of their friends are massive NBA fans for literally no reason. That’s when I first started to think about NBA coming here to town and thriving since we have so many young basketball fans.

Bottom line- these people who say “We can’t have NBA here because it already failed once” have absolutely no idea what they’re talking about, because I’m convinced Gen Z here would trade the Royals out for NBA in a heartbeat. You didn’t have that bloc in the 80’s to support the Kings but they’re here now.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Attracting an NBA team should be a higher priority for KC than a downtown baseball stadium. More net gain with an additional team than a risky sideways move with an existing team. And we already have an arena. But if baseball stadium is privately funded, go for it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:47 pm I would generally agree. KCMO has turned a pretty big corner since about 2006. Hopefully the momentum continues and companies come back to the center city now. But yes, lots of positives happening in KC right now. That doesn't mean I wouldn't push for the best plan possible if the Royals move downtown. They need to move quickly on that so KC can quit the land banking.
Agree. My guess is the MLB work stoppage has a lot to do with the delay. Once that’s resolved, I’d anticipate an announced plan fairly quickly.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:10 pm Attracting an NBA team should be a higher priority for KC than a downtown baseball stadium. More net gain with an additional team than a risky sideways move with an existing team. And we already have an arena. But if baseball stadium is privately funded, go for it.
Go to the beginning of the “NBA to Kansas City” thread on here and I outlined a whole plan of how I think it’s going to happen.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21184&sid=0e62c08a ... 1c075c1427