One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:53 pm
earthling wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:41 am
I agree it's greater downtown but not really part of the energy. Just not worth moving there. Not enough upside compared to staying.
Yeah I don’t think the average person would consider it downtown either. I think you’d get a lot of “I thought we were getting a downtown stadium?” if that were the case.
It’s across the street. Doesn’t really matter what people say it’s downtown/adjacent and a better location than putting it immediately in the heart of things.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
earthling wrote:
I agree it's greater downtown but not really part of the energy. Just not worth moving there. Not enough upside compared to staying.
Yeah I don’t think the average person would consider it downtown either. I think you’d get a lot of “I thought we were getting a downtown stadium?” if that were the case.
Ha. There are people who think the Plaza is "downtown."

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

"I went downtown to the Plaza..." -- overheard regularly in suburbia

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

Streetcar tying it all together will blur the lines even further. Economically some agency sites already often consider the RCP corridor as the 'downtown' urban center as well. Nothing wrong with it but can understand how those of us within will react to it. A free connector and infill eventually coming with it really will make it seem as one big ass downtown.

Keep in mind that in the earlier years of KC what we now call Xroads as part of downtown used to be considered Midtown.

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

normalthings wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 am
Gov already owns all/most of the land needed for an 18 Vine Stadium. Its politically favorable and builds off of the existing city investment at 18th & Vine. If the Royals go downtown, they are going to 18 Vine
No thanks 18th and Vine sucks this isnt happening no matter how much you keep trying to push it

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

normalthings wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:19 am
FangKC wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 pm
Forgive me if I appear dumb, but what is the likelihood that the Chiefs wouldn't stay at TSC, or move to Kansas, but instead relocate to St. Louis? It's a bigger media market, and they would likely retain the regional fan base that exists now.
The Chiefs would lose their entire KC fan base if they moved to STL. Sure rural fans would stay.

I don't think STL will get an expansion team. Their stadium still sucks and there isn't much support for upgrades or a new team. They are a few years away from bulldozing it. They will go for a financial payout and use the $$$ on north city and other politically popular initiatives.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/sto ... is-lawsuit

WoodDraw
Penntower
Penntower

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
earthling wrote:
How many people on this forum have been to the east village in the part month?

I'd expect that number to be low.

normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:27 pm
normalthings wrote:
Gov already owns all/most of the land needed for an 18 Vine Stadium. Its politically favorable and builds off of the existing city investment at 18th & Vine. If the Royals go downtown, they are going to 18 Vine
No thanks 18th and Vine sucks this isnt happening no matter how much you keep trying to push it
I'm just reporting whats happening.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WoodDraw wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:38 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote:
earthling wrote:

Yesterday.

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

normalthings wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:42 pm
Goonies wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:27 pm
normalthings wrote:
I'm just reporting whats happening.
Lets wrestle

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WoodDraw wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:38 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote:
earthling wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "been to". Driven through? Sure. Went there specifically with intent? Well, no, there's nowhere to go...

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I went to transit center to change buses, and also the Commerce Bank at 12th and Charlotte, while I was waiting for the bus to come.

AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 pm
Worth noting that last time they approved the renovations but didn’t go for the roof.

It’s also worth noting a lot of complexities here that are ongoing that will make this a long process. If kc gets the wc, that will involve some arrowhead upgrades. Stl is also in intense litigation with the nfl that could end up with being promised a team. The state would likely get involved with both.

This will be a very long process.
STL settles for less than a billion. Wow, they really hyped that case up way too much.

https://twitter.com/ben_fred/status/146 ... 16132?s=21

And my guess is now STL will never get an NFL team again as retribution, even when NFL expands. The end.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have always liked the 18th and vine idea but I'm concerned we don't get full us of our existing infrastructure that is CBD parking garages and streetcar. It would be a mile walk from the stop. It would be used but it would be too far for many

TheLastGentleman
Penntower
Penntower

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Send a streetcar spur over to 18th and vine. Even if the stadium doesn’t go there, it should still get a streetcar

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:37 pm
Send a streetcar spur over to 18th and vine. Even if the stadium doesn’t go there, it should still get a streetcar
No thanks Vine has always been a money pit. East Village makes the most sense.

AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:35 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Yeah I agree, Royals said they like baseball in proximity to entertainment and downtown energy, they don’t want to be the engine to create brand new development in isolated areas, they want to be in proximity and a of an already thriving area

This is what happens when you put stadiums in an isolated area: https://twitter.com/jc_bradbury/status/ ... 58950?s=21

normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:48 pm
Goonies wrote:
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Yeah I agree, Royals said they like baseball in proximity to entertainment and downtown energy, they don’t want to be the engine to create brand new development in isolated areas, they want to be in proximity and a of an already thriving area

This is what happens when you put stadiums in an isolated area: https://twitter.com/jc_bradbury/status/ ... 58950?s=21
East Village IS ISOLATED. 18th Vine site is actually adjacent to an entertainment district.This entire thread makes me wonder if we are even looking at the same map.

EV: 2109' to entertainment
18 Vine: 440' to entertainment

AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:50 am
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:48 pm
Goonies wrote:

East Village IS ISOLATED. 18th Vine site is actually adjacent to an entertainment district.This entire thread makes me wonder if we are even looking at the same map.

EV: 2109' to entertainment
18 Vine: 440' to entertainment
All that matters is the loop, because everything else is massively disconnected by highways.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

Wash Sq Park or W of 8th/Main lots more ideal to be part of DT energy but not realistic to happen, so is it really worth moving if not part of the energy. Add to that it better be a kickass stadium that exceeds The K, which will be rather difficult ($$$) to pull off. And then Chiefs may want same treatment, JaxCo probably won't be able to afford and maybe they move to KS, perhaps renamed to Kansas Chiefs. If willing to accept risk of potential Chiefs move...

East Village has broader opportunity than 18th/Vine. Need a hyper multi-use mega project with hirise living that happens to have a stadium fused in almost as essentially a secondary function. Given that would require a mix of many investors/players, more likely to pull that off within Loop than 18th/Vine. And if we end up with a just a passable/utilitarian 18th/Vine stadium as an isolated island, back to asking.. is it really worth moving from TSC when you add it all up?