Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Downtown ballpark and condos

Post by moderne »

Let's be progressive, red light district.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I suspect it will be the parking district
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Shi Tpa Town
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If this St Louis vs NFL lawsuit in January really does result in STL getting an expansion team the Chiefs are 100% going to Kansas in my estimation
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

4Star Politics: The likelihood KC sees a pitch for a new downtown baseball stadium

https://fox4kc.com/your-local-election- ... l-stadium/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chiefs are not leaving MO
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 am Chiefs are not leaving MO
I bet someone said that about the Rams.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:04 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 am Chiefs are not leaving MO
I bet someone said that about the Rams.
No one cared enough about the Rams to say it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

And everyone knew kroenke was moving them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

What does St Louis have to do with the Chiefs going to Kansas?

I can see them moving to Kansas honestly. Hell, one of their biggest sponsors is the University of Kansas.

The Chiefs would move to KS if MO doesn't help them with the stadium. Won't have anything to do with the Rams situation or St Louis.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Guys don't let the troll derail the conversation.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm What does St Louis have to do with the Chiefs going to Kansas?

I can see them moving to Kansas honestly. Hell, one of their biggest sponsors is the University of Kansas.

The Chiefs would move to KS if MO doesn't help them with the stadium. Won't have anything to do with the Rams situation or St Louis.
I think we've all gotten over excited with no plans, but I suspect the royals and chiefs will go together on the ballot as usual.

I'm not sure what the chiefs want tbh. They're going to get some free renovation money if we get the world cup. I'm sure they're coming up with their wish list.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

St. Louis goes with Chiefs going to Kansas because it will cause alot less pressure on Missouri to have an NFL team in the state. If they lose the Chiefs, then they face the embarrassing prospect of losing two NFL teams, and being shut out from the NFL. STL with a team takes alot less pressure off that is what I meant.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can assure you of one thing. Even the rural crowd who want to screw Kansas City and St. Louis over almost any issue will beat their local state legislators with crowbars, and any sitting governor, if they don't come up with state money to keep the Chiefs -- because Missouri cannot be without an NFL team. This I can assure you. In rural Missouri, this is part of their identity.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:51 am I can assure you of one thing. Even the rural crowd who want to screw Kansas City and St. Louis over almost any issue will beat their local state legislators with crowbars, and any sitting governor, if they don't come up with state money to keep the Chiefs -- because Missouri cannot be without an NFL team. This I can assure you. In rural Missouri, this is part of their identity.
I can agree with that. But that just also proves the point that voters aren't this monolithic bloc that never wants to spend on pro-sports teams though, like has been suggested. "People don't give taxpayer money for teams anymore"
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:36 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm What does St Louis have to do with the Chiefs going to Kansas?

I think we've all gotten over excited with no plans, but I suspect the royals and chiefs will go together on the ballot as usual.

I'm not sure what the chiefs want tbh. They're going to get some free renovation money if we get the world cup. I'm sure they're coming up with their wish list.
Yeah, I think if KC gets a world cup bid, and Arrowhead goes through some major renovations, that will change a lot of things.

But overall, I just don't see either team leaving the sports complex. There is a slim chance one or both will get a new stadium, but even that will likely be at the TSC.

I would love a downtown baseball stadium, but as I have said many times, I don't think the city and state can put the proper infrastructure in place to support one and even if they could, I don't think voters will fund a billion dollar stadium downtown. The vast majority of KC people do not want a downtown stadium.

I really don't think that's a bad thing so long as KC builds a high quality modern transit line from the city center to the stadiums (and beyond).

Having a high quality transit line connecting downtown to BOTH stadiums would be better than bringing one stadium downtown IMO. That way you can easily go downtown before and after games, but the other 90% of the fans won't have to bring their cars downtown just so they can go right home after the game.

And you know what? the streetcar might just be fine for that. A downtown stadium will need true mass regional transit which will never happen in KC. But even a streetcar line will at least move most of the people that want to be downtown before or after a game. All without gumming up downtown with parking lots and traffic for people that just go tot the game and that's it.

I'm totally rambling, but hopefully people get what I'm trying to say.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:36 pm

I would love a downtown baseball stadium, but as I have said many times, I don't think the city and state can put the proper infrastructure in place to support one and even if they could, I don't think voters will fund a billion dollar stadium downtown. The vast majority of KC people do not want a downtown stadium.
Changing public opinion would be the primary challenge for a downtown stadium in KC. What I read on various news media discussions sites did not fare well for a downtown stadium and at least one poll (quality and political agenda of poll may be in question) showed a majority in favor of the Royals continuing to play at TSC.

That said, I did not think KC would ever change its mind on KCI but the new terminal (with some education) passed easily. It probably didn't help that KCI has become an unpleasant experience for almost everyone anymore. Royals stadium is not an unpleasant experience so a downtown stadium will never be an easy sale and even if it was unpleasant, the majority would prefer a rebuild at the same location or some other suburban location. I don't think Kansas Citian's value downtown. Few see the benefits of a central location in the metro and the opportunities and possibilities of attending a game at a downtown ballpark. Parking, traffic and crime tend to dominate nearly every discussion.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I’d rather have a downtown to TSC to Raytown or Lee’s Summit rail line than a downtown stadium. However, I do want soccer in the urban core.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander, they'll get funds by doing the same thing that literally every sports franchise ever has done to get funds- threaten to leave. Or in this case, threaten to move to the Kansas side. Amongst *many* other aspects and marketing efforts of the funding campaign that I don't care to rehash now, the relocation threat will be the core of it. They are dead-set on getting a new stadium one way or the other.

Also, airport vote didn't just pass because of some campaigning- it won in an absolute landslide vote.

What we're talking about right now with stadiums is the equivalent of people saying 4 years before the airport vote that "damn, the first poll that came out here in 2014 says people won't pay for a new airport. Guess we should give up now because people are too attached to security line convenience." We went from that to 70%.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The airport was in a bad shape 4 years before the vote. We had known since the 70s that the design didn’t work and since the 90s that it really needed to be replaced. Stadiums today “work” for most people and as GRID mentions a rail line to them could be enough to connect them with downtown crowds and tourists while avoiding potential negatives.